Thread: Sony FX9 - Wow

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Sony FX9 - Wow 
    So, I wasn't really considering the FX9 as my next purchased as I was currently weighing between the C500 II and the Gemini, but this test is pretty incredible. It looks like Sony have not only fixed their weird color science, but when it comes to color gamut, the ACS have found it to produce the best result of any digital cinema camera that has been tested to date. Yes, they claim the FX9 even beats Red and Arri in these regards. Pretty crazy.

Additionally, the Venice's Cinetone profile (best seen at the 10:00 mark) looks absolutely stunning as well. Hard to believe I'm looking at a Sony image there. In that section of the video, the female model's skintones really do look like they're from an Alexa. The rolloff is absolutely beautiful and you can see true red in her dress. Very impressed. The FX9 looks like it's a real contender, especially at that price.

Lastly, at 14:15 they go into depth about the autofocus and there seems to be some really cool AF features in the FX9 that I wasn't aware of, like a hybrid AF/MF assist. With this feature you can manually rack to whatever you want, and then the camera will predict where you're going with it, see that you've gotten close to your goal, and then pick up the rack at the end so it can fine tune things and hit your focus point on the money. This sounds so very cool to me. It essentially gives you all the benefits of manual focus control while making sure you land on your mark at the end of every pull. And apparently it even works for objects as well. I mean, who wouldn't want that?

Overall, this is the first real review of this camera that has me considering the FX9 as my next purchase. Looking forward to more tests between this and the C500 II...

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/01/...-the-sony-fx9/

Color-wise Sony is doing good things. Their Highlight Clipping is a telling sign that works needs to be done however (even seen in the shot you are referencing), it's similar on the Venice. Used in range though you'll be getting some nice imagery.

AF is indeed interesting and looking forward to it advancing further even though I personally won't necessarily need it, it will be a nice tool to have.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I agree the Sony FX9 does look interesting. Nice to have the option of 4K s35 and at full frame. Better colour science than we have seen from Sony in the past and impressive auto focus for those situations that require it. Also the dual ISO make is incredibly versatile. Definitely looking to upgrade my Fs7 as soon as the Fx9 is available here.
    Epic Dragon 4470,
    Sony Fx9
    Sony a7rII
    Contax Zeiss Primes
    DanaDolly
    tedparkes@rogers.com

crazy around the 10 min mark how much better the fs7 sees highlights than the fx9 in that comparison. Sunny in one, cloudy in the other? its so far off it cant be right.
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Alexa Mini/Amira, RED Dragon, Monstro, Canon C500 Mark ii, C300ii, Sony FX9, FS7, UMP G2, Pocket 6k/4k, Sony A7s/r ii, Cooke Panchro Classics, Atlas Anamorphics, Zeiss Cp3, Angenieux EZ1/2, Celere HS set, Leica R Duclos set, DSO Trump series, Sigma Cine Primes, Contax Zeiss Superspeeds, GL Optics 18-35, 50-100, 70-200, tokina 11-16 PL, Laowa 24mm Probe, Movi Pro, Grip Vans, Skypanels, HMI's, Hive, Aputure, Litepanels, Litemats

damn what lens are they on at 21:56? thats INSANE CA
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Alexa Mini/Amira, RED Dragon, Monstro, Canon C500 Mark ii, C300ii, Sony FX9, FS7, UMP G2, Pocket 6k/4k, Sony A7s/r ii, Cooke Panchro Classics, Atlas Anamorphics, Zeiss Cp3, Angenieux EZ1/2, Celere HS set, Leica R Duclos set, DSO Trump series, Sigma Cine Primes, Contax Zeiss Superspeeds, GL Optics 18-35, 50-100, 70-200, tokina 11-16 PL, Laowa 24mm Probe, Movi Pro, Grip Vans, Skypanels, HMI's, Hive, Aputure, Litepanels, Litemats

IMHO the chromatic problems on the whater bubbles is due to partial debayer of the image.
    I think it's because it's slowmotion and it takes a half debayer or does pixel binning when in slowmo.

Pat

https://vimeo.com/382285262

I thought this little FX9 test looked really great. Some of the best tones I've seen from Sony. Excited to get my hands on one

I never loved the Sony Fs5/7picture, it was too plastic, no character, now this FX9 looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Domenic Barbero View Post
    damn what lens are they on at 21:56? thats INSANE CA
    Domenic,

Initially that was my thought on the purple fringing but Patrick is probably correct as we were also unofficially advised that it is a debayer issue when down sampling and running the camera at high frame rates. Apparently these artefacts can also be seen on the FS7 under the same circumstances. Please note that on the seawater foam shot at 21:56 I have pushed the saturation hard emphasising the purple fringing. If you pixel peep you can also see some of the debayer artefacts in the metal bangles the girl is wearing when she is facing into the sun.

Lenses on the beach shoot were Sony G Series. I used the 24-70mm f2.8 zoom, 70-200mm f2.8 and the the 24mm f1.4. These were good performers. The 28-135mm f4 kit lens while being super practical was uninspiring.

Domenic the highlight retention difference you see on the “interview setup” is mostly a function of the S-Cinetone on the FX9 with its softer highlight roll off compared to the 709-5 setup on the FS7. In our under and overs test shooting S Log and no LUTS the FX9 saw most of its DR improvement in the shadows.

In context of its price the FX9 is very impressive and Red’s Komodo will have to be equally impressive to compete. But I will qualify that if you drill down into the image of the FX9 you see the signal processing and the compression from the XAVC codec. You don’t see the same thing with Red Cameras. But if I had a high end doco to shoot the FX9 would be a serious contender but if I had a top end drama project the FX9 would not be on the top of my list.
    Tom Gleeson

I have one on order. The auto focus and low light performance are enough for me to move on from my EVA1.
    Epic W
    Brian Pascale