Thread: Monstro & Gemini in Low Light

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Monstro & Gemini in Low Light 
    Heading out on a job in the snow with lots of magic hour and beyond scenes. Firelight, dim skys, moody dining, We have both Monstros and Gemini's on board.....Wondering if Monstro at 8K, 3200 is similar to Gemini at 3200. Or should I switch to Low light OLPH in order to shoot with the Monstro at that iso. I've shot Monstro at 1600 with no issues in the past, just want to know if folks are comfortable going 3200 with the Standard OLPH.

I shoot a lot at 3200ISO with no issues. It´s more depending how far off your color temp is from where you want it than the actual amount of light. Like if your light is at the temp that you want it to be then things will hold up really well, but it you shoot under tungsten light and want a cold colored image then it breaks up a lot earlier. So if you are out in the snow I assume you want quite natural but exagerated colors, then I would say standard olpf at iso 3200 would do fine... But ofcourse not bad to pluck a lowlight olpf in there if you have it, even though I find the difference in sensitivety to be quite slim.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Björn is pretty spot on in his advice... but to essentially reiterate his point... 3200 is fine on Monstro if you like the image you are seeing not too far from the native colour temp range of the camera (it changes slightly with OLPF) and aren’t pushing things UP allot... pulling is fine pushing could be tricky. A dramatic CT shift often involves what amounts to a multiple stop push on a colour Chanel.

Also some peoples post ‘looks’ can involve significant Chanel boosting .... and if this is applied to image that is a bit under it can render a image some will find too noisey...

Björn is also both skilled with redcameras and post techniques... so my guess would be it would take him less than 5sec to do a not too invasive de-noise on just the blue channel shadows if he felt the image needed that... and maybe do a lesser demonise on another channel with a tiny bit of bandwidth restricted sharpening after to balance... do you have time in post to treat underexposed footage?

... therefore my best advice is to have a quick test if possible...and push the image through your post path

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    I shoot a lot at 3200ISO with no issues. It´s more depending how far off your color temp is from where you want it than the actual amount of light. Like if your light is at the temp that you want it to be then things will hold up really well, but it you shoot under tungsten light and want a cold colored image then it breaks up a lot earlier. So if you are out in the snow I assume you want quite natural but exagerated colors, then I would say standard olpf at iso 3200 would do fine... But ofcourse not bad to pluck a lowlight olpf in there if you have it, even though I find the difference in sensitivety to be quite slim.
    Great tip on the color temps, I'll be sure to stay on top of that......What's been you experience with the Gemini? Can you shoot that at 6400 ISO without issues?

Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    Just make sure you black shade in the field with the temp you're shooting at, because if you don't, you may find yourself with a lot color noise in the image.
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package
    Monstro, Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    davidjbuchanan.com | wecofilms.com

Quote Originally Posted by steve green View Post
    ......What's been you experience with the Gemini? Can you shoot that at 6400 ISO without issues?
    No.
    Ranger Gemini

Quote Originally Posted by James Sielaff View Post
    No.
    James, do you care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by steve green View Post
    Great tip on the color temps, I'll be sure to stay on top of that......What's been you experience with the Gemini? Can you shoot that at 6400 ISO without issues?
    Yes, but it for sure is more noise then if rolling with 200 iso so all is relative. But I say you still get a usable / rich image as such low exposure. Even though when having such high iso all light differences becomes quite drastic. when you point the camera towards a lightsource than that is way bright compared to the unlit backround as an example.
    Björn Benckert

It's looking a lot like the max we can comfortably shoot at is 3200 iso on both the Monstro and the Gemini. I'm going to keep it there and not go pushing the Gemini into the 5000-6400 range. Also, I'm going to take the advise of watch CT closely, black shading in the field, and run a test though to post. Thanks everyone!

Any other tips always welcome!

Here, a little lens test I did with my new set of atlas anas during the hollidays. No super high iso’s but when developing tungsten stuff at 2500K and and 10000K and 400iso its much more noisy than 1000 iso at 4000K. Simply if you miss one or more of the 3 color signals of r,g,b then stuff gets more sensitive for noise. So if shooting in 5600K and having some fill so the sensor is not hitting the noise floor anywhere in the shot, then im not worried to push monstro to 6400ISO.... but in my tungsten kitchen, not so much.

Björn Benckert