Thread: Record Audio in Varispeed

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Record Audio in Varispeed 
    So I happened across this in the Helium Ops Manual, I assume it is in other RED models. RECORD AUDIO IN VARISPEED MODE

I did a test and it works great. I shot a clip at 48 fps in a 24 project (23.98) and the audio is a wav file separate form the R3D files.
    It was half as long as the R3D files but that is what I expected. We do a lot of shooting at athletic events and the editors are always wanting some ambient sound of crowds etc. With almost all of the cameras shooting slo-mo there is no audio unless we put a little Zoom or Tascam recorder at the venue. This will work even if we just use the built in Helium front mics we will have something - and not have to search a second source. It will be a wav file inside the RDM folder, pretty cool.

Attached Images

Yeah that was big news in v7 of the firmware in early 2018.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ferguson View Post
    So I happened across this in the Helium Ops Manual, I assume it is in other RED models. RECORD AUDIO IN VARISPEED MODE

I did a test and it works great. I shot a clip at 48 fps in a 24 project (23.98) and the audio is a wav file separate form the R3D files.
    It was half as long as the R3D files but that is what I expected. We do a lot of shooting at athletic events and the editors are always wanting some ambient sound of crowds etc. With almost all of the cameras shooting slo-mo there is no audio unless we put a little Zoom or Tascam recorder at the venue. This will work even if we just use the built in Helium front mics we will have something - and not have to search a second source. It will be a wav file inside the RDM folder, pretty cool.

Doesn't work below 24fps I believe.