Thread: Mac Pro 2019 Benchmarks

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    109
    I switched off when you used sexist language to generalise someone who makes a living blogging so you could look down your nose at them, trashed someone like barefeats for bothering to do some tests to assist anyone who uses iMac Pro and claimed any camerawork that requires NR is incompetence.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sefton View Post
    I switched off when you
    /inserts own projection which would discredit the source of criticism/


    https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

    imdb


    "Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

    "L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    I have not seen a long format production where there was no scenes that got low exposure and where neat video or such came to good use. Also when doing compositing work, with rescales for different layers, tracked in plates and so on its kind of comon practice to first neutralize atleast all plates but one and then match grain with the master plate or have all inputs going trough a degrain process and then post comp match with the clip before and after.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    /inserts own projection which would discredit the source of criticism/


    https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman
    Of course, iChick isn't remotely sexist or offensive, and not intended in any way to appear superior of knowledge and to denigrate their opinion or experience.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    I have not seen a long format production where there was no scenes that got low exposure and where neat video or such came to good use. Also when doing compositing work, with rescales for different layers, tracked in plates and so on its kind of comon practice to first neutralize atleast all plates but one and then match grain with the master plate or have all inputs going trough a degrain process and then post comp match with the clip before and after.

    Virtually every VR shoot will benefit from noise reduction. Its not possible to accurately light 180 or 360 degrees of view without having some kind of temporal or spatial noise reduction, which drastically improves the finished image.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sefton View Post
    Virtually every VR shoot will benefit from noise reduction. Its not possible to accurately light 180 or 360 degrees of view without having some kind of temporal or spatial noise reduction, which drastically improves the finished image.
    Thanks for trying to bring this thread back on track.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

    "Dream so big you can share!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sefton View Post
    Of course, iChick isn't remotely sexist or offensive, and not intended in any way to appear superior of knowledge and to denigrate their opinion or experience.
    3rd and last attempt on addressing this accusational nonsense.

    You are wasting your time with this character-assassinaton/"socially correct"/overly-protective/carebear/whatever thing and narrative you have going on in your head, and passionately desire to imprint on others.

    If it was a guy in a PR puff-peace shilling $40K professional setup to the masses while doing selifes with a $30K camera and $30k lens it would say "iDude". Which is still far from what this circus might easily be slammed with.


    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire



    Meanwhile, we have found out so far that new $13k Apple setup is significantly faster compared to much cheaper Apple one (otherwise impossible to deduce) with some settings. Interesting.

    And that if you want faster rendering with a GPU tasking processing you might want to get another more powerful GPU (shocking discovery) and shovel additional 5000 bucks to Cupertino Cash Island.
    Zero other project/camera specific information, collectable in 30 sec while doing the test and zero reference to anything else outside Apple, like on typical Apple promotional material. Interestingly, of all the cameras on the planet also zero reference to anything else. Extremely helpful for objective insight and not product-pushing propaganda at all. Hold my Koolaid, running to the iStore instantly.


    "Experience"....priceless.
    Someone please bring a gold pedestal.
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

    imdb


    "Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

    "L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    3rd and last attempt on addressing this nonsense.

    You are wasting your time with this character-assassinaton/"socially correct"/overly-protective/carebear/whatever thing and narrative you have going on in your head, and passionately desire to imprint on others.

    If it was a guy in a PR puff-peace shilling $40K professional setup to the masses while doing selifes with a $30K camera and $30k lens it would say "iDude". Which is still far from what this circus might easily be slammed with.


    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire



    Meanwhile, we have found out so far that new $13k Apple setup is significantly faster compared to much cheaper Apple one (otherwise impossible to deduce) with some settings.
    Zero other information, collectable in 30 sec while doing the test and zero reference to anything else outside Apple, like on typical Apple promotional material. Extremely helpful for objective insight and not propaganda at all. Hold my Koolaid, running to the iStore instantly.


    "Experience"....priceless.

    I dunno. The barefeats site has always tested Mac only equipment. If you want a PC comparison, I’m sure there’s a way of doing that.

    There’s a given quantity for the length and type of the red file and for the setup of the machines running the encode. Theres also a way of figuring out the cost of each machine if you need, which is easy to reduce to an investment to time ratio (which isn’t offered by puget or anyone I’ve seen as a comparison). For reference, the difference in cost between systems is probably around $3.5k. There’s also a finish time for each which although not accurate to the second is enough to figure out your annual return per minute based on a shop running iMac Pro for updating to a 2019 Mac Pro.

    There’s legitimate need for noise reduction in swathes of productions, either VR, greenscreen or low light and it’s the most processor and GPU intensive test you can give to a machine - if Puget run it, it must be valid but if you want to flame this test for daring to run NR then whatever. It’s also worth noting that the test clearly shows that instead of just buying what Apple offer as brand new, you can achieve near identical results with much cheaper GPUs.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,753
    First we look if the material is usable, then we edit it and for (final) delivery we sometimes use some sort of NR or apply other effects.
    Realtime playback (on a 4k timeline when possible) is the most important for us (80..90%).
    When the final delivery renders at 0.1 fps for a 30..120 sec commercial, who cares.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member DJ Meyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    3rd and last attempt on addressing this accusational nonsense.

    You are wasting your time with this character-assassinaton/"socially correct"/overly-protective/carebear/whatever thing and narrative you have going on in your head, and passionately desire to imprint on others.

    If it was a guy in a PR puff-peace shilling $40K professional setup to the masses while doing selifes with a $30K camera and $30k lens it would say "iDude". Which is still far from what this circus might easily be slammed with.


    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire



    Meanwhile, we have found out so far that new $13k Apple setup is significantly faster compared to much cheaper Apple one (otherwise impossible to deduce) with some settings. Interesting.

    And that if you want faster rendering with a GPU tasking processing you might want to get another more powerful GPU (shocking discovery) and shovel additional 5000 bucks to Cupertino Cash Island.
    Zero other project/camera specific information, collectable in 30 sec while doing the test and zero reference to anything else outside Apple, like on typical Apple promotional material. Interestingly, of all the cameras on the planet also zero reference to anything else. Extremely helpful for objective insight and not product-pushing propaganda at all. Hold my Koolaid, running to the iStore instantly.


    "Experience"....priceless.
    Someone please bring a gold pedestal.
    When is your Mac Pro review coming out?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts