Thread: Products missing from RED shop

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Products missing from RED shop 
    Imagine my shock when I went to look for another DSMC Bolt Kit, and it was completely missing from the RED shop. Adorama has it listed as being on "closeout". I started poking around some more, and noticed other things missing: dovetails, 19mm universal mount, that long-ass top handle, maybe other things that are not as familiar to me.

One of the frustrating things about being a RED owner is finding threads from just a couple years ago about products that have since been discontinued or seemingly never made it to production. (To be fair, it's not just RED. Industrial-thickness TrekPak dividers, anyone?) Things change fast.

Did this just happen recently? Did I miss any sort of announcement?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Greene View Post
    Imagine my shock when I went to look for another DSMC Bolt Kit, and it was completely missing from the RED shop. Adorama has it listed as being on "closeout". I started poking around some more, and noticed other things missing: dovetails, 19mm universal mount, that long-ass top handle, maybe other things that are not as familiar to me.

One of the frustrating things about being a RED owner is finding threads from just a couple years ago about products that have since been discontinued or seemingly never made it to production. (To be fair, it's not just RED. Industrial-thickness TrekPak dividers, anyone?) Things change fast.

Did this just happen recently? Did I miss any sort of announcement?
    There is a standard of practice for suppliers of electronic equipment to publish notices of discontinuation. It is JEDEC J-STD-048. Most of my enterprise-grade system infrastructure comes from companies that honor that standard, so I know when a router, a server, or some other critical widget is going to become irreplaceable. RED could certainly implement such a standard, if they can find the $51 is costs to acquire the aforementioned document from JEDEC. I would not be surprised if other companies selling top-end cameras didn't already provide such informational services to their customers.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

I wouldn’t think any company is going to make DSMC2 products at this point. 3-4 years shelf life max once a news camera come out.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

But dovetails and rod components?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Greene View Post
    But dovetails and rod components?
    Seams like red is focusing more on just cameras and less on paraphernalia. Im guessing its really hard to keep up with china on that department. Stuff is copied, cloned and sold before it is even released.

Red lenses, mattbox, batteries, rod mounts, FIZ system etc. lot of things that is not listed any more.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

When RED went to its new website, it didn't list a bunch of items. I called them directly and was able to buy something.