Thread: Best large commercial tv to show footage?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Best large commercial tv to show footage? 
    Hey guys, we're a lower budget production, but we want to show our footage to a bunch of people in a room and we'd rather do it in a large TV (Since we can't afford a real pro monitor or a projector).

Do you have any suggestions for which tv would be best in terms of being able to calibrate it to closely display what's on camera?

I would get a LG oled or if you want even bigger samsung qled. Best option I think is to show the material as dolbyvision on the lg. If done right it looks stunning.

easiest approach is to use the dolbyvision plugin for davinchi and feed the tv with a 4k decklink extream via hdmi and make sure to turn on dolbyvision recognition in the davinchi output menue.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    I would get a LG oled or if you want even bigger samsung qled. Best option I think is to show the material as dolbyvision on the lg. If done right it looks stunning.

easiest approach is to use the dolbyvision plugin for davinchi and feed the tv with a 4k decklink extream via hdmi and make sure to turn on dolbyvision recognition in the davinchi output menue.
    Second the LG recommendation. There are easily accessible expert mode menus to support accurate calibration. If the OLED’s are too pricey the top of the line Series 9 Nanocell LED models are about half the price and not too far off the mark for black levels and color gamut.

Davinci can do that?? Damn, that's awesome!! Thanks Björn!

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Second the LG recommendation. There are easily accessible expert mode menus to support accurate calibration. If the OLED’s are too pricey the top of the line Series 9 Nanocell LED models are about half the price and not too far off the mark for black levels and color gamut.
    Thanks David! I'll take a look at LG then!

Backing up the LG OLED. I own a 2016 model and the only thing better is a more recent model (they’re brighter and have better shadow tone mapping). I did a job shooting a colorists office recently and his client monitor was an LG OLED.