Thread: MINILF-MONSTRO thoughts ;)

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 MINILF-MONSTRO thoughts ;) 
    Thoughts and use of these two cameras.
    In these days I finally got to get my hands on my new arrival Alexa mini Lf..finally after a long wait ..
    I shot some frames, below you can download and as usual ask me if you want anything else specific.
    I leave you to undertake a good discussion.
    I know Monstro very well, now in this year I have shot 3 films and various advertisements and I know this amazing beast well after almost 2500 hours of work on it.
    Now Alexa mini Lf has arrived, well it has a not indifferent price but you know this is Arri's internal policy, if you want it you pay.
    I think right now is the only Arri camera that holds value for a little longer ...
    ok let's move on to the facts, the changes made by the mini s35 have been well done and some surprising things, mini Codex on the side, silent ventilation as always, 360 degree EVF cable connection this is welcome compared to the usual lemo and a few more taps on the back of the camera.
    The Evs is something truly exceptional, the optical path does not deform from any angle you look at, the eyepiece heats up in very cold environments wow .., very bright LCD and a hair bigger than the mini s35 and clearly visible buttons and degrees enough to not get confused.
    The addition of an extra plug allows an excellent connection to the phone or PC to pilot the camera, compared to the mini s35 where I have always had problems with the wifi.
    I also really liked the choice of wanting to integrate the denoise on the prores, if you want it you can activate it and do a good job. The built-in microphone for an audio control track is welcome.
    The machine is very reactive, compared to Monstro, the most practical example is the use of the magnify where with Monstro you have to wait 3-4 seconds here it is also immediate to enter playback and exit and definitely instantaneous.
    I always miss a REC button on the operator side ... I don't understand why they don't ... maybe too close to the cooling fans.
    The DR color image and resolution ... emmm the science of color is different from these two sensors, difficult to describe until it is touched by the hand and visually, for my part Monstro is much closer to reality than what I see, but most people face two Monstro or Alexa Lf frames most will choose ALexa.
    For the DR on my behalf they are exactly the same or better to say there is little noticeable difference in our eye.
    Monstro is definitely cleaner below but loses above and Alexa is better above but below is a lot noisy.
    In normal light conditions controlled with Monstro bring home more cleaning, you can safely shoot at 1600 iso and it is even cleaner than ALexa Mini Lf.
    But though .. if I use the pro's and use the denoise in the camera the gap is reduced .... in certain circumstances this is a godsend for ALexa mini Lf.

Honestly difficult to say which is better a very difficult choice, they are two spectacular sensors..I tend to still have a preference for my Monstro.

Happy New Year and happy holidays to all;)

link Download some still RAW for play, R3d and Arriraw (in Davinci select full debayer ARRI non Davinci):
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1h5...W1IhBZwEcDmrmr

THIS DOWNLOAD ONLY ARRIRAW MODE .ARX ;)
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lA...gFdfW5065lm_0G

THIS DOWNLOAD RED + MINI LF ( red iso 800/is1600 +0.3ND/ iso 3200 +0.3 ND and Shutter 90, Alexa Mini LF iso 800 RAw + Prores whit denoise internal camera)
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qz...QWcuedDbb9i0H0

LOW LIGH 1600 iso Prores 422qh 4k Mini Ld with and withou denoise and Monstro 4k :
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SJ...FOcqUbplyXYwEQ

[IMG]TOTALDR by luigi valtulini, su Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by luigivaltulini; 01-06-2020 at 03:37 PM.
    Grading Suite Davinci Resolve, Rental RED Digital camera.
    MONSTRO 8k CF #831 "BLACK PEARL" , EPIC-W GEMINI # "DAFNE".
    ARRI ALEXA EV , ALEXA MINI LF "ROZI"

SITE
    www.cine5k.ch

Thanks Luigi for the detailed write-up and the contribution of the test images!!

Luigi,

Here are a few of the Monstro clips. Still prefer not having to work with all of those Arri .ari files. I know you can convert them to ProRes in Arri Raw Converter but....

Last edited by rand thompson; 12-31-2019 at 03:19 PM.

In Davinci work great but when i use arriraw convert i force open arri raw in Davinci only whit Arri debayer and not davinci.. i think is a bug...
    Grading Suite Davinci Resolve, Rental RED Digital camera.
    MONSTRO 8k CF #831 "BLACK PEARL" , EPIC-W GEMINI # "DAFNE".
    ARRI ALEXA EV , ALEXA MINI LF "ROZI"

SITE
    www.cine5k.ch

Luigi,

I haven't really had any problems with Arri Raw HDE(High Density Encoding) files. But Yeah, the Arri debayer seemed to work best. I think it was /or still is the case with Sony Raw files as well.

Do I need the latest version of Resolve for the LF footage? Iím on 16.0 (I think) and all the clips are pink... like a pinkscale (I see the image but itís just varying shades of pink or if I change it to 3200k itís blue-scale.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Do I need the latest version of Resolve for the LF footage? I’m on 16.0 (I think) and all the clips are pink... like a pinkscale (I see the image but it’s just varying shades of pink or if I change it to 3200k it’s blue-scale.)
    I'm on the latest and I have the same result. When I switch the debayer over from Resolve to Arri, it crashes the program, too.

Mike and Aaron

Same here, I'm just going to try to export an 16-bit DPX file out of Arri Raw Converter and try to grade that. I'm on version 16.1.2 and it crashed my computer also

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    If ARRI manages to make a good S35 4K sensor, I will bet you that the Mini LF will not be so popular anymore. The LF Mini makes no sense, and it will make less sense in the future. The Monstro does, as it's 8K. There is no way, for most use cases, that VV is a better choice than S35, and that's regardless of brand.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

Graded Arri DPX file from Arri Raw Converter. You loose Arri Raw development doing it this way.

DPX file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/69rv2xwsg6...82528.dpx?dl=0

Last edited by rand thompson; 12-31-2019 at 06:07 PM.