Thread: Red one MX and external recorder in 2020

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Red one MX and external recorder in 2020 
    Hi Guys i have opportunity to buy really cheap R1MX basically camera only with a Cf module PL and Element technica brakeout box. at the moment i have Atomos Shogun 4k that i know i can use monitor and Prores recorder, but is there an option to use any resent Recorders as RAW recorder for this camera?

thanks

Nope. And external feed will be 1080p maximum.

The SDI is a video signal and will only output at 720P during record, so you can't even get a 1080P signal to a recorder while filming. You can set playback to 1080P 4:2:2 but not really a practical workflow in most cases.
    Steve Sherrick

Thanks Guys! this bursts my bubble. i still like MX look for some reason that sensor has magic to it in a same way as Alexa Classic. i guess i will keep looking for inexpensive Scarlet MX then

Luka keep in mind no DSMC1 or DSMC2 outputs 4K signal from sdi or hdmi. from my understanding only DSMC1(dragon versions)+ broadcast module ever did. If you absolutely love the R1MX look I suggest just finding one with SSD module record internally in R3D. Should run around $1500 or so.

This is one of those technology timeline issues. SDI 4K standards actually got locked down right after DSMC2's release even. Didn't show up in cameras for a while, though smaller HDMI 4K was a bit more common for a minute.

With Komodo showcasing SDI 4K signal, that boads well for the next big upgrade.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I thinking attaching a cable to a camera and recorder like this is not a good idea.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

thanks for the info. My main reason is that i really love MX look for some things. R1 is a bit of a hustle but its so low in price now that having one as just MX when i need it for exterior shoots makes seance. stes SSD 1.8 would be a good way to go. on the other hand i just saw Scarlet MX brain for 2kUSD and this would be a easier and way more interesting path.

R1 monitoring outputs are no good for external recording, lots of aliasing and 720p. I remember coming up ACing on r1 and it was handy to be able to see the aliasing twinkling when you were sharp... but definitely not something you'd want on a recording.

Dsmc1/2 I'm not sure I'd totally trust for 1080p recording either...
    Noah Yuan-Vogel | noahyv.com

I’m going into the VFX stage of my first feature where my brother and I decided to go with a used RED One MX. I can say it’s been a great experience other than a hot pixel issue on a couple nights that we’ll have to take out now but a quick black shade cleared things up for the rest of the shoot. As for storage, the footage is about what we expected when considering Prores 4K with our Sony A7S initially and it was only a little more than our Blackmagic Pocket 4K that we used during reshoots this year. The images look fantastic and the low light performance at ISO 800 was a lot better than we thought in the long run. I was also annoyed by the 720p monitoring output but you get used to it and I certainly wouldn’t try to record off that 720p signal as I too noticed weird errors and spots that weren’t in the footage during some shots. Overall, if you can handle the weight of it, I would say go for it but if you’re in tight quarters, you’ll either have to get very creative like we did or have a small B camera to go with it.