Thread: Buying an Alexa $6K.

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Buying an Alexa $6K. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hahBgDUESjE

Stunned by how good this image looked out of camera...

Will KOMODO look this good?

Anyone have the ARRIS LUT for RED?

Why this look so good????

This is a weird post.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    This is a weird post.
    This image looks good.

From a ten year old camera.

I love helium, but would the color look this good? Is there an arri lut, since it's all raw anyway? Will komodo be better color wise than helium? Seem like good questions to me.

If the linked results interest you and you aren't hitting that with your Helium you likely need to shoot more.

And yes, Arri has their own unique color science, and yes there are many ways to get there via LUTs or transforms if you want that general look.

A lot of your posts as of late Andrew have really been searching for I believe advice as to what you should do with your camera and it's been interesting to see how your influenced by some interviews with fiilmmakers. Many of these questions regarding what camera to use, what is better for your shooting needs, etc. are all answers only you can decide for yourself.

There isn't really an audience where everybody is going to stop shooting with camera X versus camera Y. Especially in the RED world where there's literally RED Ones still somehow shooting features and things like that out there.

I think on a personal level you need to fully explore what RED's IPP2 color workflow provides, specifically with the Low Contrast/Soft Highlight Roll-Off features.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    If the linked results interest you and you aren't hitting that with your Helium you likely need to shoot more.

And yes, Arri has their own unique color science, and yes there are many ways to get there via LUTs or transforms if you want that general look.

A lot of your posts as of late Andrew have really been searching for I believe advice as to what you should do with your camera and it's been interesting to see how your influenced by some interviews with fiilmmakers. Many of these questions regarding what camera to use, what is better for your shooting needs, etc. are all answers only you can decide for yourself.

There isn't really an audience where everybody is going to stop shooting with camera X versus camera Y. Especially in the RED world where there's literally RED Ones still somehow shooting features and things like that out there.

I think on a personal level you need to fully explore what RED's IPP2 color workflow provides, specifically with the Low Contrast/Soft Highlight Roll-Off features.
    Yes it's been an interesting year with Hydrogen (2 years?) Then Komodo, and I love the Helium. But there is a lot changing with competition and I think komodo- to me- is Red competing. Whether it's with zcam or any of these their party cameras I dont even know about (because I am all in on Red), but its clear the competition is alive right now. I am indeed interested in comparing Komodo to DSMC2 (specifically helium) in every way, as the size really opens doors for new things and look at all technology, it's gotten smaller and more portable. I have not forgotten Jim's renderings of the "sensor camera" before it became the hydrogen. Obviously that's where it's going for many like the new sigma camera. I do plan to go DSMC3 and in that sense it's good to keep this incredible camera, but I can't ignore the cool aspects of komodo global shitter being one as a recent shoot had extreme rolling shutter in many shots, for the first time. Not everyone can afford a DSMC2, 3, AND a komodo (just appears none of them are on here). Would I love to have both? Yes. Will I have both? Maybe. Will I have all, maybe. But I am still VERY interested in it compared to the DSMC2, and past sensors specs etcetera. We all compare and talk here lenses and cameras, I am attempting to ask new questions about komodo. But I was in fact thinking about how little you have said about it after seeing it beside that it is a tank, and that makes me wonder.

I am all red but we can agree it's an interesting world at the moment. Typing this on a hydrogen.

P.s. I only shoot red. The end

It is interesting as to how much the 2K-3K Alexa prices have dropped since the release of the LF and Mini LF. The daily rental prices have never been lower on KitSplit, ShareGrid, and the various local LA vendors. 4K Alexas are still at a premium.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

To be honest I'm interested in buying those lower prices ARRI right now, to add more brush in my painting tool kit. Many still asking for Alexa where I lived even though it's only 1080p. Both for rentals and paid simple jobs like fashion videos, product look book, etc.
    SCARLET-W #004760

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Audy Erel View Post
    To be honest I'm interested in buying those lower prices ARRI right now, to add more brush in my painting tool kit. Many still asking for Alexa where I lived even though it's only 1080p. Both for rentals and paid simple jobs like fashion videos, product look book, etc.
    Makes sense. If they're that cheap, and you can charge more for using them, go for it!
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

I saw that video too and it's nice to see that the HD Alexa still holds up. Remember, back when everything was HD, most indies could only afford the lower end stuff like HDV and the Panasonic HVX200, only the big studios and rental houses got to use the really high end HD cameras and by the time those would have come down in price for indies to afford them, RED stomped into the ring and threw down the 4K RAW video gauntlet and changed everything. We indies and freelancers never really got to experience owning those high end HD cameras so it still can be surprising how good those older cameras can look compared with the new 4K stuff we have now. Shows and movies still used HD back then though and the Arri Alexa image won over a lot of folks and was used for everything from "Game of Thrones" to "John Wick" and even "Wonder Woman". Sony was kicking things up too with the F3 which is still quite popular and I was surprised to find out that it was used quite a bit on "Modern Family" in its first few seasons. Granted, Arri has moved up in resolution so now things are far more competitive and they even kept the overall look that made the Alexa so popular, I've seen it many times too when walking around at NAB show, it's quite striking in comparison to other systems. Having said that, you can make any footage look great if you practice and know what kind of look you're going for and, yes, the camera choice can affect that a little but then you can be surprised as well. For instance, I thought "The Crown" on Netflix was filmed with Alexa or RED, much like many shows these days, but it was actually filmed with a Sony F55 which I had no idea could look so clear and sharp. Certain shows can be case studies for certain cameras and looks, take a look at "Preacher" and compare it to all the other big VFX Alexa and RED shows at the time and realize that it was filmed with the Sony F65 and F55, it'll make you question your talent for sure regardless of what camera you have! So if you're having trouble making your Helium footage "look good" or making it stand out compared with work done using another system or even the same system, try to figure out what's missing in comparison, whether it's budget, time, crew, etc. or if it's just simply dancing with exposure and composition, practice with what you have until you get an image you like and go from there to the next thing you shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Audy Erel View Post
    To be honest I'm interested in buying those lower prices ARRI right now, to add more brush in my painting tool kit. Many still asking for Alexa where I lived even though it's only 1080p.
    Naw, the Alexas will do 2K (and quite a few of them would do 2.8K). If the end result is HD for TV or commercials or a 2K theatrical release, it's fine, particularly at this price range. The images can be fine, provided you get the camera checked out by a service bureau.

It's a lot better than buying (say) a used Sony HDW-F900 for $500. And that's a camera that cost more than $100,000 twenty years ago. There's understandable nostalgia for a lot of old things, but not so much for broadcast cameras of this vintage.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer