Thread: Revolva ND Mount leaking GREASE on lenses - Thoughts?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Revolva ND Mount leaking GREASE on lenses - Thoughts? 
    Hey all,

Our Kippertie Revolva mount just got in today. We were pumped, but have had some trouble out of the box.

Upon arrival, the mount had grease all over, seeping out of the seams inside the mount and on the hand lock / wheel. Check out these pics, you can see the grease in the seams. There was enough to get on your hands during normal handling. Pretty crazy looking in person.

For all the cameras and mounts I've owned, I have never seen this quantity of grease up delivery. Ever. It seem like 3 or 4 times what would be appropriate.

2Photo Dec 09, 3 12 30 PM by K D, on Flickr

3Photo Dec 09, 3 13 07 PM by K D, on Flickr

5Photo Dec 10, 12 13 12 PM copy by K D, on Flickr

Kippertie advised me to just wipe the mount with a microfiber, and it should be fine. However, after two thorough cleanings with isopropyl and small tools, the mount is still pushing grease out of it's seams, and into contact with the lens itself.

Example attached, this size gob show us after every few turns of the mount. After some testing, it's clear that gob gets on the lens, then into our rear caps. Grrrr.

In the past, I've always heard two things:

1. Don't grease your lens mounts
    2. Exposed grease attracts dirt and contaminants

I guess my real question is if anyone else is having this issue? Is this OK, normal?
    I'm not really thrilled about rolling our Otus lenses through this lubricant, but I'm looking for input from other owners.

Thanks for the help guys!
    Last edited by Kevin DeOliveira; 12-10-2019 at 11:29 AM. Reason: pics added
    FACTION
    wearefaction.com

We actually requested you return it to us, but I understand you taking a shot at cleanup.

All lens mounts contain grease of one type or another. As part of the build the mount is overpacked and cleaned back.
    We clearly missed a step here, and its not easy without the right technique and tools. Not to our expected standard.

Offer still stands to fix this cleanup for you, covering expedited return shipping.

Have to say its the first complaint of this type weve had in several hundred units, so when corrected I would not expect you to have continued issues.
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Gemini 5K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our Revolva ND solution, OLPFs and other products

I have two of the Revolva mounts and have never seen a whiff of grease. I would recommend you send it back, with expedited shipping and quick turn around likely, this is the best solution. Personally, I find these to be the best addition to my Red cameras without question, I have both the neutral density and the filters with carbon, gold, etc. They are awesome!
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423

Quote Originally Posted by John Marchant View Post
    Offer still stands to fix this cleanup for you, covering expedited return shipping.

Have to say it’s the first complaint of this type we’ve had in several hundred units, so when corrected I would not expect you to have continued issues.
    Hi John,

Thanks for the reply, I did speak with Sarah by email. Sending it back means missing it on another upcoming shoot, which has some other costs/issues we had to weigh. I had to at least give the cleaning a try.

I wanted to gather input as to whether or not this is “normal” from other owners. Question answered.

We’ve taken care of most of it, but it’s still not 100%.
    I’ll follow up on getting this unit back to you guys soon.
    I do appreciate the help.
    FACTION
    wearefaction.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Dishler View Post
    I have two of the Revolva mounts and have never seen a whiff of grease. I would recommend you send it back, with expedited shipping and quick turn around likely, this is the best solution. Personally, I find these to be the best addition to my Red cameras without question, I have both the neutral density and the filters with carbon, gold, etc. They are awesome!

Perfect, that’s the answer I needed.
    And I agree, we’ve been dying to get our hands on one for a long while. Brilliant design.
    FACTION
    wearefaction.com