Thread: New Mac Pro Configuration Recommendations

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I have no issue with the $20-40K workstations when the parts are bleeding edge but most of this stuff is pretty long in the tooth at this point.

Looking forward to if/when the next version comes out. All of the promised Metal support might be fleshed out by then.

I'm selling my Kidney to finish paying my Mac!

This is the setup I got:
    16 core 3.2
    96GB
    Radeon pro Vega II 32
    2TB SSD
    Afterburner

Nano Display
    Mac Stand
    Instagram: @rv12
    Vimeo: @rv12

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    I’m fully expecting the 16-core, possibly the 24-core to be the sweet spot. Pricing structure will say a lot, but I think 16-core with 96GB RAM and a Vega Pro II Duo MPX GPU would be the target starting point for those really using FCPX and Resolve. Depending on price and a few other factors, the next logical step up would be to the 24-core CPU. Then probably a move to 192GB RAM to better support the CPU, especially if working full time in 4K+ workflows. I’m not so sure FCPX will benefit from more than 16 cores (32 threads). Adobe software definitely won’t... My primary Resolve system is still a 20-core E5v2 (2 x 10 core) Xeon workstation I built over 5 years ago. It’s long in the tooth and the plan was to replace it with this new Mac Pro. The RAM is the bottleneck in that system, not the CPU cores. I breathed new life into it a while back by upgrading it to dual 1080TI GPUs... But the RAM speed keeps it choked up. I’m actually building a 24-core ThreadRipper system right now, still waiting on a couple parts. It may replace the aging Xeon box and I may not buy the Mac Pro at this time. Everything should be a bit more clear tomorrow when we see pricing.

Not sure what to make of the Afterburner card just yet...

I foresee a lot of people ordering the Mac Pro tower and skipping the XDR display. Yeah, we all want one, but it may make financial sense for many to save $4000 by going with the 5K LG monitor instead. If you do get the XDR Pro Display, don’t buy the $1000 stand. Get a good arm to mount it, you’ll be happier and will save a good chunk there too.
    Jeff, how much is the PC system you are building in total cost?

My take on this new Mac Pro is that it only makes sense if you are an entirely Mac based shop that uses FCPX, Motion, and other Mac-centric applications. I am starting to seriously consider sticking with iMacs for editing in FCPX and Avid using proxy workflows and building a capable PC system for Davinci Resolve. I would never be able to justify the $50K price tag to max this thing out. I can understand why others will be able to justify it but for me, unfortunately, this is not looking like a machine I will consider at this time.
    Steve Sherrick

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post

My take on this new Mac Pro is that it only makes sense if you are an entirely Mac based shop that uses FCPX, Motion, and other Mac-centric applications. I am starting to seriously consider sticking with iMacs for editing in FCPX and Avid using proxy workflows and building a capable PC system for Davinci Resolve. I would never be able to justify the $50K price tag to max this thing out. I can understand why others will be able to justify it but for me, unfortunately, this is not looking like a machine I will consider at this time.
    Maybe if RED offered ProRes RAW as a supported RAW format the afterburner would make sense. But right now it looks like not.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Senior Member Michael Patterson's Avatar
    I've tried to find info online, but does anyone know if Adobe Premiere would utilize the afterburner card? Or has there been any mention of it being added into an update? I don't want to spend 2k on the afterburner if it does absolutely nothing for my workflow. I'd rather take that 2k and bump up the graphics card where I'm hoping would benefit Premiere. As of now, I built up a config in my "bag" of:

3.2GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz 96GB (6x16GB) of DDR4 ECC memory
    Radeon Pro Vega II with 32GB of HBM2 memory
    1TB SSD storage
    Apple Afterburner card
    Michael Patterson
    Ei8ht E1even Productions
    michael@811productions.com

Scarlet Dragon 4227 "Honey" and a bunch of stuff to make it work

Scarlet 599 "Izzy" stolen in San Fran July 9th 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Patterson View Post
    I've tried to find info online, but does anyone know if Adobe Premiere would utilize the afterburner card? Or has there been any mention of it being added into an update? I don't want to spend 2k on the afterburner if it does absolutely nothing for my workflow. I'd rather take that 2k and bump up the graphics card where I'm hoping would benefit Premiere. As of now, I built up a config in my "bag" of:

3.2GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz 96GB (6x16GB) of DDR4 ECC memory
    Radeon Pro Vega II with 32GB of HBM2 memory
    1TB SSD storage
    Apple Afterburner card
    One of the early review guys responded to my question on Twitter. Right now afterburner is ONLY for ProRes RAW, and only implemented within FCPX and other Apple programs. They do say it will be supported by other 3rd party apps (Resolve? Premiere?). But I strongly suspect ONLY for ProRes RAW, which means we'd need RED to support a new codec in their cameras to get afterburner benefits. Or perhaps there's a lightweight way to wrap R3D media in a ProRes RAW wrapper--I don't know. But the reviewers who have said anything about R3D so far have only demonstrated that the 28-core Xeon processor is capable of transcoding from RED's 8K RAW to some H.264-ish format in slightly better than realtime (a 5:00 minute clip in 4:20). Afterburner is doing nothing in that case (AFAIK).
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by AndreeMarkefors View Post
    Configurator is up:

Cheapest sensible model:
    12 core | Pro Vega II 32GB | 48GB | 1TB is $10.099

Preferred entry:
    16 core | Pro Vega II 32GB | 96GB | 2TB is $12.199

Current max:
    28 core | Dual Pro Vega II Duo 64GB | 1.5TB | 4TB is $50.199

Internal storage will be available in 8TB soon.
    Your "Preferred" Config is exactly what I am ordering
    Silver Lake Studios Inc.
    Film Production and Stock Footage
    Rentals and other goodies at
    www.utahcinevideo.com
    www.slsfilm.com

Senior Member Michael Patterson's Avatar
    Thanks Michael for the response. Is it worth going the radeon pro II duo then? I'm assuming it should be a good improvement over the standard, but it is an extra 2400. But since it looks like I can ditch the $2000 afterburner card, it won't impact my "budget". Also, since the pro II duo and the dual pro II are the same cost for the upgrade, wouldn't it be a better idea to go with the pro II duo since it would only take up one slot? And it feels like some programs, Premiere included, don't fully utilize 2 separate graphics cards. I guess by going with the one higher end card, you could potentially add a second in the future? I'm not super versed on hardware configurations, so I apologize if my questions cause any eye rolls...
    Michael Patterson
    Ei8ht E1even Productions
    michael@811productions.com

Scarlet Dragon 4227 "Honey" and a bunch of stuff to make it work

Scarlet 599 "Izzy" stolen in San Fran July 9th 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Patterson View Post
    Thanks Michael for the response. Is it worth going the radeon pro II duo then? I'm assuming it should be a good improvement over the standard, but it is an extra 2400. But since it looks like I can ditch the $2000 afterburner card, it won't impact my "budget". Also, since the pro II duo and the dual pro II are the same cost for the upgrade, wouldn't it be a better idea to go with the pro II duo since it would only take up one slot? And it feels like some programs, Premiere included, don't fully utilize 2 separate graphics cards. I guess by going with the one higher end card, you could potentially add a second in the future? I'm not super versed on hardware configurations, so I apologize if my questions cause any eye rolls...
    It's all speculation until we're 6 months down the line and know for sure how the promised Metal support for .r3d will shake out.

Premiere supports multi-GPU on export very well on Windows with .r3d, so its just a matter of whether the devs put the effort in.

If I had to buy a Mac Pro today, and cut primarily .r3d, I'd spend the money on a better GPU rather than the Afterburner. You can always add that later if it becomes supported. But you know the GPU will help in Resolve etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
    AMD ThreadRipper 3960X - 24 core
    Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Extreme Motherboard
    8 x 32GB Corsair DDR4 3600MHz (256GB total)
    2 x RTX 2080 TI GPUs
    2 x 2TB M.2 Nvme SSDs
    A few other bits and bobs and liquid cooling setup for the CPU.

I’m right at $10K all in. ...A bit under half what the equivalent Mac Pro would cost.

I acknowledge that my config would cost another $2500 or so if I were buying from a custom PC shop... Just have to say that Apple’s pricing is wack. And yet, not out of line from current industry offerings. They’re right in line with HP and others. So when it comes to big business purchases or corporate money, they’re going to price out just fine. For us indie guys, small shops/ boutiques, it’s really a non-starter unless you’re, as you say, an entirely Mac based shop... And even then, I think the 12 or 16 core system is the better configuration. FCPX and the like, and for sure all the Adobe apps, can’t utilize all those cores to great effect and more than 20 threads or so is completely lost on them.

In typical Apple fashion, they price the CPUs just high enough where it still makes sense to configure through them. Buying the base model and swapping the CPU offers no value. However, buying RAM separately may be a good idea here. Mostly because several 12-DIMM options are just not available to configure and those would save money. I think the base price of the unit is astronomically high and the GPU pricing is bonkers.

I’m having trouble reconciling the Afterburner card. I definitely want to see real benchmarks with and without it.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.