Thread: Be afraid. Be very afraid

Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    A question for you, Hrvoje- Have you any personal experience with the Sony Fx9 AF upon which you are passing judgment?

Let's agree that AF, even "Fast Hybrid AF", cannot replace a human in every situation and will be of only limited use in scripted work. Okay. And?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery Anderson View Post
    Red's bread and butter is Netflix... how many narrative shows on Netflix employee a 1st and 2nd AC + DIT + Datawrangler? my guess would be 100%, then you have 2nd Unit
    What percentage of RED owners shoot material for Netflix? I'm interested in your estimate, but I estimate less than 1%.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery Anderson View Post
    Documentaries? IDK, I would think you would have a Camera Assistant 100% of the time.

Only in"The RED Bubble" do doc shooters have a camera assistant 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by John David Pope View Post
    A question for you, Hrvoje- Have you any personal experience with the Sony Fx9 AF upon which you are passing judgment?
    I'm not passing judgement on FX9 AF usability, I'm saying AF principle cannot substitute manual work in many situations, regardless of the camera.

Btw, I'd check those blurred backgrounds.

Let's agree that AF, even "Fast Hybrid AF", cannot replace a human in every situation and will be of only limited use in scripted work. Okay. And?
    I didn't say limited in scripted, I said mostly useless (with exceptions). I said limited in many other situations. : )
    I could give you a bunch of examples from many types of shoots and scenarios.

Still useful tool, though.
    I'm aware this may seem as dismissive from my end but isn't really. Ironically, years back I've had some concepts for focusing assists and expanded control, advocated AF routes myself on this very forum in its early days, and I've just been testing few new cameras AF recently.
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    I'm not passing judgement on FX9 AF usability, I'm saying AF principle cannot substitute manual work in many situations, regardless of the camera.

Btw, I'd check those blurred backgrounds.

I didn't say limited in scripted, I said mostly useless (with exceptions).
    Actually, you said "Useless for scripted work. ". There was no "mostly". We dragged you kicking and screaming to mostly. But at least you are not immovable.
    Last edited by John David Pope; 12-07-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Actually, you said "Useless for scripted work. ". There was no "mostly". We dragged you kicking and screaming to mostly. But at least you are not immovable.
    : )

Hasty initial formulation, I assumed that goes without saying and I expanded later to stress that.

On last project I did we had some situations where this would help, actor running towards a camera shot on longer lens for example. No need for special creative finesse but technically challenging. Though I didn't see the need for larger focal length in that shot, necessitating this challenge, but that was a DoP's call. As I said - a complementary tool, not a substitute. I wouldn't expect fundamental changes in production because of that.

I don't see a problem in AF itself, I see a problem in infatuation with external tools and attitude propagating dependence on them. Not a good direction if evolution is a goal.
    Complementary approach = gain (cultivation of skillset & end product level)
    Substitute = trading one for the other (skillset for external tools) = loss, techy retard generation, pushing buttons with a computer between the Craftsman and the work, sterilising the outcome of the essence which gives Soul to it.

To conclude, I'd be VERY careful what to praise and propagate and what kind of values are left for generations to come. Evolution is not a process with constant growth, if left to inertia it consists of deterioration too and things may go down as well. Not too hard to see in today's world.
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Fighting against AF is like fighting against digital capture. There was a time when people said it would never replace film.
    The issue is not either/or. What people forget is that it is ALL technology. Whether manual or digital.
    So one day the 1st AC will not be controlling a lens, he will be controlling the Autofocus. This is INEVITABLE.
    In fact it's already happening and will continue exponentially.
    Personally, I don't give a f__K. What interests me is the content, not the camera.

"Evolution is not a process with constant growth, if left to inertia it consists of deterioration too and things may go down as well. "

I think I got that in a fortune cookie once.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    "Evolution is not a process with constant growth, if left to inertia it consists of deterioration too and things may go down as well. "

I think I got that in a fortune cookie once.
    Very wise. In the film, A Question of Attribution (adapted from a play), one of the characters says, referring to modern art, that art doesn't progress, it just evolves.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    Very wise. In the film, A Question of Attribution (adapted from a play), one of the characters says, referring to modern art, that art doesn't progress, it just evolves.

Went to a FX9 presentation today. FX9 is a nice image broadcast camera and also for event shooters. Nothing else.