Thread: Sony PVM-A250 vs Sony PVM-2541A? Difference?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Sony PVM-A250 vs Sony PVM-2541A? Difference? 
    Does anyone know if there is any major difference between the Sony PVM-A250 OLED monitor and the older PVM-2541A, other than weight and thinness? I can't seem to find any info on what exactly separates these two monitors. Is it the same OLED panel on both of them? On Sony's page they list the reduced weight as the sole differentiating factor between the two models. But they say nothing about the panel actually being improved.
    Last edited by Derek Doublin; 12-04-2019 at 12:19 PM.

I have (reluctantly) used the PVM-250A (or maybe it was an A250) at a client's facility for color on a feature, and I was not very happy with it. To me, it's kind of a half-ass monitor. I think it'd be fine as an on-set display, but not good for finishing.
    marc wielage, csi ē colorist/post consultant ē daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    I have (reluctantly) used the PVM-250A (or maybe it was an A250) at a client's facility for color on a feature, and I was not very happy with it. To me, it's kind of a half-ass monitor. I think it'd be fine as an on-set display, but not good for finishing.
    Interesting. A lot of people love the Sony OLED panels. Flanders even uses them for their OLED offerings. The Sonys donít offer the features and services that the Flanders do, but the panels are the exact same.

Regardless, Iím interested in using a Sony as an on-set monitor due to itís incredible contrast capabilities. But Iím wondering if the A250 and the 2541A are the exact same panel. I canít seem to find that info anywhere.

I have an early(1st?) generation Sony OLED 17"(1741) that is my "A" field monitor on bigger and multi-cam shoots. Several years ago I was thinking about switching to one of the newer gen, small/thin chassis models and my sales rep told me not to, because they had lots of complaints about them, because they were "green" and they just couldn't get them to calibrate well. So I'm still rocking with mine that I've had since 2011 or '12. It's a little chunky, but the image is still beautiful.

Yeah, I've heard calibrating the Sony's are a real issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Doublin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    I have an early(1st?) generation Sony OLED 17"(1741) that is my "A" field monitor on bigger and multi-cam shoots. Several years ago I was thinking about switching to one of the newer gen, small/thin chassis models and my sales rep told me not to, because they had lots of complaints about them, because they were "green" and they just couldn't get them to calibrate well. So I'm still rocking with mine that I've had since 2011 or '12. It's a little chunky, but the image is still beautiful.

Well, you heard wrong or you had talked to LightSpace. They would bad mouth Sony monitors or for this matter, any monitor manufacturer, that refuses to work with them at every opportunity. Sony had been in monitor manufacturing longer, than pretty much any other manufacturer and one of their monitors- BVM-X300 had been considered pretty much the mainstay of all post houses for SDR and HDR mastering. The green tint is a well known phenomena called metameric failure, that all OLED monitors exhibit, including FSI.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Doublin View Post
    No need to calibrate Delta 0.5 average out of the box.
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Všth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol