Thread: RED + NVIDIA Update

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 RED + NVIDIA Update 
    What editing software has already implemented the „new“ R3D SDK for accelerated R3D decode and debayering on NVIDIA CUDA platforms? Still Windows only? No chance for Hackintosh?
    RED CF MONSTRO 8K VV
    Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85

Website // Facebook // Instagram

None of the big ones yet, which is painfully frustrating as the performance boost is very real for playback and could impact editing and color sessions in positive ways.

But we know it's being worked on by the big two, Adobe and Blackmagic Design. It's not easy code for them to implement however and speed of implementation hasn't been great in both camps as of late.

I've been told that Assimilate Scratch supports it, but Scratch hasn't been part of my workflow for a fair bit. REDCINE-X Pro obviously does support it.

I think in terms of CUDA Support, specifically future CUDA Support, on Mac OS via Nvidia you are out of luck as of last week:
    https://gizmodo.com/apple-and-nvidia...ver-1840015246

That said, expect some sort of Metal support coming down the path.

Very far down the line I'd expect Apple to not rely on AMD even for GPU related things, but for the next few years to come it is what it is.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    None of the big ones yet, which is painfully frustrating as the performance boost is very real for playback and could impact editing and color sessions in positive ways.

But we know it's being worked on by the big two, Adobe and Blackmagic Design. It's not easy code for them to implement however and speed of implementation hasn't been great in both camps as of late.

I've been told that Assimilate Scratch supports it, but Scratch hasn't been part of my workflow for a fair bit. REDCINE-X Pro obviously does support it.

I think in terms of CUDA Support, specifically future CUDA Support, on Mac OS via Nvidia you are out of luck as of last week:
    https://gizmodo.com/apple-and-nvidia...ver-1840015246

That said, expect some sort of Metal support coming down the path.

Very far down the line I'd expect Apple to not rely on AMD even for GPU related things, but for the next few years to come it is what it is.
    If Apple doesn't announce support for a fully-optimized R3D workflow on MacPro+AMD+Afterburner that's competitive AT LAUNCH with what RCX can do on nVidia since early this year, I'm done with them.
    Last edited by Michael Tiemann; 12-02-2019 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Allow for the possibility that Afterburner saves the day
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    If Apple doesn't announce support for a fully-optimized R3D workflow on MacPro plus AMD that's competitive AT LAUNCH with what RCX can do on nVidia since early this year, I'm done with them.
    Your statement implies that you had missed the Apple Afterburner card announcement...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

We'll have to see what Metal goodies come for the Apple side of things.

I suspect decent support/performance is on the horizon. Just don't know if that's a tomorrow or like Spring/Fall/Winter 2020 thing.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    Your statement implies that you had missed the Apple Afterburner card announcement...
    https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

Cut to even more creativity.

Afterburner is a hardware accelerator card built with an FPGA, or programmable ASIC. With over a million logic cells, it can process up to 6.3 billion pixels per second and is capable of handling up to three streams of 8K ProRes RAW or 12 streams of 4K ProRes RAW. This means you can free up your cores to enable even more creative effects and processing.

Up to 3 streams of 8K ProRes RAW video at 30 fps
    Up to 12 streams of 4K ProRes RAW video at 30 fps
    Up to 16 streams of 4K ProRes 422 video at 30 fps

Not a word on R3D performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post

Afterburner is a hardware accelerator card built with an FPGA, or programmable ASIC. With over a million logic cells, it can process up to 6.3 billion pixels per second and is capable of handling up to three streams of 8K ProRes RAW or 12 streams of 4K ProRes RAW. This means you can free up your cores to enable even more creative effects and processing.

Short of Red rewriting RCX for it I doubt it will support R3D or any other raw format except Prores.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Short of Red rewriting RCX for it I doubt it will support R3D or any other raw format except Prores.
    Just use brute force with the upcomming 3990x and by the way, ProRes RAW is the lighter codec compared to ProRes RAW HQ.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    I wouldn't speak so soon on any of that.

The general concept of the Afterburner card isn't too dissimilar from a RED Rocket-X.

It is very literally the earliest of days. Though there's been a lot of medium level chaos (or more accurately perceived chaos), RED will do what they can to help support Apple based workflows.

Don't be shocked if "somewhere/somehow" R3D gets some love in there.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post

Your statement implies that you missed the word "FPGA".
    Jarred's recent statement on a new Red-Apple détente is a good indicator of things to come...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel