Thread: SmallHD Cine 7 TX with Focus 7 Bolt RX

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 SmallHD Cine 7 TX with Focus 7 Bolt RX 
    Currently have a RED Gemini, looking to invest in the

SmallHD Cine 7 TX with Focus 7 Bolt RX Wireless Transmitter and receiver

has anyone had issues with this combo? I've heard mixed things about the Cine 7 with the RED interface it works, it doesn't work, not sure but i'm looking to replace my RED 5' Monitor and SmallHD older monitors into just one make it easier on the weight and easier for mobility

Anyone have experience good or bad? let me know

Also random tid bit I updated to 7.2.4 latest firmware and my SDI Port worked the entire 7 hour shoot, the last 1 hour the SDI out stopped working on the monitors, couldn't troubleshoot anymore so we switched to HDMI Which worked fine. I wish the interface would understand the connection without having to manual change the monitor settings in the RED

You’ll hear mixed things about everything on the internet.

The SmallHD is a fine monitor, runs a little hot. The RED control takes a little getting used to. Can be slightly confusing at first figuring out how to accommodate having both the smallhd and the red control on at the same time, and if you have the Red buttons on screen, then god help your muscle memory. But once you get it, it is kind of nice.

Definitely a completely personal matter. I have a feeling the learning curve, heat, two cables and $500 license will keep a good few people away. But for those that have to jump between Red and Arri, it might be nice to have one device and menu style to work with.

Definitely rent one before deciding.

As for the wireless features, of the combined bolt, i haven’t used that.

My experience is good all around and yes connectivity works. The UI feels like it's in the BETA stages. SmallHD is helping people as we all figure it out together. They're designing better cables and sending them out to folks in need. Their customer support via phone is great. I needed to get Teredek on the phone for something and that was a different story. I'm a SmallHD guy that wants as much brightness as possible. The stock Red monitors are 300 nits and are a no go for me. If you want to save money and get a tool that checks multiple boxes across multiple platforms the Cine 7 is a great choice. If you're Red only and have the cash, the Ultrabright may be a better choice.

See here: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2w3hphHH86/
    Multiple hat wearing director and cinematographer based but not bound in the greater New York area.
    -
    2x Geminis
    -
    Reel: http://julienjarry.com/reel
    Instagram: instagram.com/julienajarry/

Agreed. The Cine 7 has a good image, and is brighter than the 702 bright. Looks better than the 702, as well.

Thanks everyone!! after further review i went ahead and called SmallHD and they gave me a great deal on a Cine 7 500 TX! their customer service is amazing, I can't wait to pair with my RED Gemini! i'll let everyone know in a few, I'll share my experience once i get a chance to test it out

Thought about doing this and going for the Cine 7 RX as well.
    John Fitzpatrick
    IMDb
    Instagram
    Johnfitzpatrickdp.com
    Gemini #018596

I like the Cine 7 so far. Going to get some cable wrap, to wrangle the three cables needed to run it though. Might be interesting if smallHD releases a single cable coil that has power/ctrl/sdi all in one. Coiled so the AC and Op can reposition without fear of snagging a cable. With how short the current ctrl cable is, when i move the monitor forward, i almost ripped the cable out of its socket.

Otherwise, i really like the monitor. Nice being able to view a clean no overlays image and then tap it to going into menus quickly.

How is the Cine 7 Bolt TX working for your guys?
    Ranger Gemini

It goes way beyond “it runs a little hot sometimes”. In the sun this monitor gets so hot you can’t touch it. Almost bought one myself til I worked with it for a day and decided against it. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Slany View Post
    It goes way beyond “it runs a little hot sometimes”. In the sun this monitor gets so hot you can’t touch it. Almost bought one myself til I worked with it for a day and decided against it. Good lusck.
    I could see that happening.

To be fair, anything in direct sun can become too hot to touch. A sidewalk can fry an egg. And mercy to anyone who sits on a motor cycle that’s been baking in the sun.

But yeah, the monitor itself is already running hotter the average SmallHD.

In direct sun, i tend to throw a thin white fabric material on the sunny side of the camera or monitor, not covering airflow, but prevent direct sun baking. Nothing too thick. Thin t-shirt material at the thickest. I’ve actually put a white t-shirt on my camera before. The arm hole makes a good evf opening.

In any case, the Cine 7 runs very warm, and external heat just compounds the issue. I had a cell phone running maps in a warm car in the summer, and the phone nearly melted. Considering Cine 7’s are basically ipads w/ bnc, and some minimal thermal cooling built into the frame, they don’t seem to be ideal for intensely hot climates. Even if the monitor can take the abuse, the last thing i want to be near in hot environment is a little space heater.

EDIT: when used in normal climates, the cold, indoors, or a studio the Cine 7 has a nice image, and the added convenience of camera controls is welcome.
    Last edited by James Sielaff; 01-10-2020 at 04:24 PM.
    Ranger Gemini