Thread: Camera control via RED Touch - from the short end of a 20' crane?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Camera control via RED Touch - from the short end of a 20' crane? 
    Sorry for my ignorance. There must be an easy solution that I simply failed to discover by searching. I want to control the camera (DSMC2 Helium 8k) from twenty feet away, via the RED Touch lcd. I've tried foolcontrol via my iphone 8 and the connection is not reliable enough for me. I find myself spending more time re-connecting than filming.. I've searched for pogo to pogo connectors but can't find any longer than 3', either by RED or third party. I see SmallHD now sells a 7" monitor with camera control which is great - but I already have a 7" lcd made by RED. If it were a 13" I'd buy it. In the meantime what cable can I use to stretch the pogo to pogo twenty feet?

Thank you,

Eric

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Hello Eric. I have never seen long RED display cable like this (max size RED sold was around 3m) and I imagine it would probably require some repeater or booster if at all possible...

If you already own foolcontrol but gave up on wifi (email me if you want to trouble shoot for any interferences due to other networks or weakened wifi antenna issue) you could also use the app via a wired connection that can stay connected for weeks if needed :

On iOs it requires a few adapters and a camera that has a GIG-Ethernet module :
    http://reduser.net/forum/showthread....ernet-solution

On Android you can solder a serial cable USB adapter and connect to the camera CTRL port

Let me know by email if you need help to set this up.
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Oh this is excellent Mikael. A wired connection to an ipad mounted on the short end of the crane would be perfect. I already have a monitor there but no camera control. I followed the link you provided and will commence my journey toward gathering the necessary pieces. Thank you very much for your support and further work on making foolcontrol more usable in compromised environments like mine, Mikael.

I owe you big thanks Mikael. I bought all the cables and adapters that you listed and today put it all together. Works perfectly. My only hiccup - when you search apple for "Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter" you get the proper adapter. But when you search with the same title on google, or Best Buy for example, you end up with a completely different adapter. So anyone chasing this down, be careful of that.

Thanks again Mikael

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    Hello Eric. I have never seen long RED display cable like this (max size RED sold was around 3m) and I imagine it would probably require some repeater or booster if at all possible...

If you already own foolcontrol but gave up on wifi (email me if you want to trouble shoot for any interferences due to other networks or weakened wifi antenna issue) you could also use the app via a wired connection that can stay connected for weeks if needed :

On iOs it requires a few adapters and a camera that has a GIG-Ethernet module :
    http://reduser.net/forum/showthread....ernet-solution

On Android you can solder a serial cable USB adapter and connect to the camera CTRL port

Let me know by email if you need help to set this up.
    I'm an android user, where can i get more info about this diy cable ? i can build myself

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Hello Roberto

i have not been anle to find a GIG-Ethernet adapter that works on Android for now... if you do it may just work with the app.... BUT

On Android it is easy to make a serial CTRL cable... this works great and does not require a GIG-Ethernet module on camera. Uou only have to find a few pieces to make the cable (not sure RED still has the lemo 0b end for sale tho...)

All the info is here but feel free to email me for further questions :

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread....=1#post1825202
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    Hello Roberto

i have not been anle to find a GIG-Ethernet adapter that works on Android for now... if you do it may just work with the app.... BUT

On Android it is easy to make a serial CTRL cable... this works great and does not require a GIG-Ethernet module on camera. Uou only have to find a few pieces to make the cable (not sure RED still has the lemo 0b end for sale tho...)

All the info is here but feel free to email me for further questions :

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread....=1#post1825202
    ok thanks so much!!