Thread: Broken pin - module

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Broken pin - module 
    Hello,

I would like to know if someone had such a problem on a module? My pins got broken but I don't know what are the causes?
    Is it due to humidity? Shortcut? I don't see what could cause this? It's probably power that go throug those pins as the camera wasn't responding when I pressed the power button.
    The module was allways sitting on the brain and no particular event broke it. I would like to prevent this to happen again.
    I've changed the module and the camera works again.

Any inputs are wellcome.

Thanks

Patrick

PS: I've open a support ticket and sent my logfiles.
    PS2: I've tried to moove them but they stay recessed

Patrick,

Definitely wait for a reply from Red Support but there is a possibility that some electrical contact spray may lubricate the pins enough for the spring to push the contacts out? I would be very careful with any physical force as any deformation of the pin would be a bummer. Unsure why this would happen?
    Tom Gleeson

The is the weakest design of DSMC2. Its too easy to misalign and damage it. I hope it improves in DSMC3.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    The is the weakest design of DSMC2. Its too easy to misalign and damage it. I hope it improves in DSMC3.
    But this module was on the brain since day 1, 3 years ago. I wonder if I had a power draw problem. Still sorting this out with the (very proactive) Red support.
    Pat

Guessing that when the module was pushed in from behind, the bottom right side of the module made contact first, then the bottom left - then with a slight angle (5-10 degrees from vertical) it was pushed forward with enough force to bent the pins (and pushed some in) before the top left and top right sides were pushed in and made full contact with the back of the brain.

If exposed pins are part of the next design, and insertion when misaligned (or misangle) could cause damage - this is likely something RED should design-out of the next body.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    But this module was on the brain since day 1, 3 years ago. I wonder if I had a power draw problem. Still sorting this out with the (very proactive) Red support.
    Pat

Are the pegs pushed in or broken of? Looks like they are pushed in and stuck there, no? Possibly just use some contact cleaning / lubing fluid like 5:56 or such to make em come out.

Or, maybe it voids the warranty. But cant you screw it a part and peak inside. See if its burnt or such.

To me it looks like poor connection that caused heat and erosion that made the peg stuck in there. But yes that me guessing from looking at that picture.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

The pins are pushed in. They come out when I use canned air but drop in again when slightly pushed.
    Like there wouldn't be any spring pushing them out. I used some WD40 drop to try to wake the spring but nothing happens...
    The board with the pins is soldered on the PCB board.

I will send it in for repair or replacement. But still trying to figure out if it is corrosion (nomal use) or shortcut (abnormal use).

Pat