Thread: Selling Epic-W for Komodo.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Selling Epic-W for Komodo. 
    I have EpicW and want DSMC3, but contemplating selling EW to find Komodo and pay bills. I want 8K and DSMC3 but Komodo seems to make business sense as all aks are less expensive.

Advice per selling EW for Komodo?
    Last edited by Andrew Dease; 11-26-2019 at 06:30 PM.

I think it's a personal choice to make, but you've gotta take a good hard look at yourself if you haven't shot anything in two years.

Epic-W is already a wonderfully capable tool. No future camera is ever going to change that. So I worry that if you're not out there actively shooting with the gear you currently have, a Komodo or DSCM3 isn't going to change that for you.

That said, if you're not making any money with Epic-W, I would say yeah, swap down to Komodo and recoup some funds at least. If you're not hurting for cash, maybe see what upgrade options you'll have once DSMC3 rolls around. But again, I worry that eventual DSMC3 is going to sit on the shelf the same way your Epic-W has.

Personally I think if you’re not shooting often you might want to reconsider owning an expensive camera at all. Might make a lot more sense to just rent if you have a project and let someone else take the depreciation hit.

Only two reasons to own an expensive camera like a RED:

-You are making money by renting it, either to DPs or as a DP yourself.
    -You are making personal projects with the intent of those projects leading to bigger projects (usually Director/DPs)

Many of us (like me) are some combination of the two, but if you’re not shooting for that long I have to ask why feel the need to own at all.

My 2 cents and hope I didn’t offend.
    Last edited by Fahnon Bennett; 11-26-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Edited to focus question.

Would anyone sell their EpicW and go all in on Komodocam?

Concerns, thoughts?

You can't buy a Komodo now or in the near future so you should consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Worth View Post
    You can't buy a Komodo now or in the near future so you should consider that.
    I think you could contribute good info on this based on your past Reduser posts an experience.

I will have to invest in a monitor and SSD to get my red running again. That alone is the price of Komodo, with generous Hydrogen discount one can hope...

But the simple question, and it is relevant after Steven Soderberg said it makes his Monstros useless.

Would anyone have thoughts on going EW to Komodocam and why.

What is 6k? Netflix won't go 6k after 4k, not will TV's. They will go straight to 8K.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    I think you could contribute good info on this based on your past Reduser posts an experience.

I will have to invest in a monitor and SSD to get my red running again. That alone is the price of Komodo, with generous Hydrogen discount one can hope...

But the simple question, and it is relevant after Steven Soderberg said it makes his Monstros useless.

Would anyone have thoughts on going EW to Komodocam and why.

What is 6k? Netflix won't go 6k after 4k, not will TV's. They will go straight to 8K.
    Your situation will likely be unique to your own needs, wants, and desires. It sounds like your Epic-W hasn't been "in use" for a while, which is probably a different scenario than many of us would be in. We don't know what type of work you film, how often you're filming, or anything related to your specific use case.

Epic-W is a DSMC2 body and is upgrade-able to DSMC3. That should weigh into whatever you're thinking of doing.

I would personally in any situation hold on to your Epic-W and just get a Komodo and see if it better suits your needs.

From a daily driver motion picture camera perspective, Epic-W is much more ideal IMO. Komodo really is a compact utility camera. You can certainly shoot whatever you want on each, but with this question alone being the "decision here", it's weird you're thinking about merely getting rid of your camera in the first place IMO.

6K, much like 8K, is great for oversampling for a 4K finish. This isn't exactly a new concept in the RED world as it's been the workflow since DSMC Dragon 6K S35 really. I think what you need to look closer at are your frame rate needs, i.e. think about what you are getting say at 6K on both cameras.

Other than that, I don't many DSMC2 owners will be swapping out for Komodo, but rather adding it as a complimentary camera into the mix.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Edited to focus question.

Would anyone sell their EpicW and go all in on Komodocam?

Concerns, thoughts?
    Point taken. Phil is right that it’s hard to give solid feedback without knowing what you shoot. If you’re shooting as a one man band on a gimbal than the AF, global shutter and size would make Komodo a superior camera for you. The DSMC cameras will have higher frame rates and I’m betting will be easier to work with in general (weight not withstanding). If you ever rent your camera to productions then I can’t imagine most would be into renting Komodo unless the budget was really tight.

I also don’t think Komodo and DSMC2 are apples to apples in a lot of ways.

How do you use your camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Fahnon Bennett View Post
    Point taken. Phil is right that itís hard to give solid feedback without knowing what you shoot. If youíre shooting as a one man band on a gimbal than the AF, global shutter and size would make Komodo a superior camera for you. The DSMC cameras will have higher frame rates and Iím betting will be easier to work with in general (weight not withstanding). If you ever rent your camera to productions then I canít imagine most would be into renting Komodo unless the budget was really tight.

I also donít think Komodo and DSMC2 are apples to apples in a lot of ways.

How do you use your camera?
    Steven Soderberg, who owns a fleet of Monstros, said he will replace them with Komodo.

That... Should bear some of this conversation happening.

Steven Soderberg, who owns a fleet of Monstros, said he will replace them with Komodo.

That... Should bear some of this conversation happening.
    Right, but again, Soderberg has an idea of what his need are AND he's gotten to actually use the Komodo (plus talk with RED, no doubt, about what the limitations are). Monstro has a wider field of view, more FPS, etc. - comparing your Epic-W to Soderberg's (albeit unknown) reasons for retiring his Monstros doesn't make sense - you're working with 8K at a different sensor size and frame rate allowance.

I, personally, know I'll get a Komodo or two because yes, it makes a whole hell of a lot of sense to have something that lightweight for the documentary work I do - I love my Weapon Mg and DSMC1 Monochrome, but those have specific uses and weigh a lot. I'll definitely keep using them on commercials and other gigs that call for what they have, and bring Komodo for a travel cam + documentary work because a lightweight camera body, batteries, media, and monitor are all a no-brainer for quick things :)