Thread: SONY F65 complete package

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 SONY F65 complete package 
    Hello,

I'm selling my Sony f65 kit. 6000

F65 BODY
    Onboard reader
    Sony oled EVF with custom made mount (same as Alexa system)
    Top handle
    top and side cheese plate
    x3 256 orange cards and x2 256 black high speed
    SR-PC4 reader
    x4 swit d-tap batts and charger
    bridge plate
    sliding dover tale
    snap plate
    Case that fits all of above.

Please PM if interested.
    Based in Bristol UK

Kind of shocking to see these prices on a piece of kit like the F65. I get why some don't like the size, the power draw, the resolution debate or the fact that you have to record RAW to a separate recorder (which is still an expensive part of the equation compared to the current body price). But this thing did shoot Ex-Machina, Oblivion, a bunch of high end commercials and music videos. And appears to be selling for well under $10K putting it in the FS7/EVA1 price ranges. Very interesting. There's certainly a long list of pros and cons to owning a camera like this in today's landscape, but it's interesting to see the fate of some of these cameras.I think it's going to be fascinating to see if people manage to score these top echelon cameras at low prices and make beautiful pictures with them amongst a sea of new camera tech that will keep pouring into the market every few months. I say this often, but it really is very true right now, this is the best time ever to be a filmmaker in terms of access to camera gear and lenses. If you have the writing, directing, and cinematography skills you can make exceptional films at a fraction of what it used to cost, at least in terms of the camera side. Other parts of the production still can drive costs high for sure, but the camera part has been democratized.
    Steve Sherrick

Well said Steve. This is one of the heavyweights, only a few years past its pinnacle and still a very capable camera. Hell, The Social Network is shockingly nuanced and that was on an MX sensor, so there are a multitude of great options these days - high and low.
    Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Justin McAleece
    Sigma Pro Primes and Video Production
    Justin at BLAREMedia dot net

The reason this camera doesn't sell welll is because its designed around a professional set with top end heavy duty gear, massive and expensive workflow, requires a full and professional camera team just to run. Productions that have all this can afford to hire new cameras. Its good for shorts if you have the connections and commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
    I think it's going to be fascinating to see if people manage to score these top echelon cameras at low prices and make beautiful pictures with them amongst a sea of new camera tech that will keep pouring into the market every few months.
    Very astute, Steve. Otto Nemenz blew out their media cards for the F65 when the Venice came out, I bought plenty. But not even the Venice sports a mechanical shutter, one of the greatest features of the F65, a camera that also produces a legitimate 16 bit 6k image and a (debatable) 8K one. Check out "Alias Grace" on Netflix for a wonderful example of its color science. My i9 dual 1080ti workstation drives its footage just fine in Resolve, but that certainly wasn't an option when this $83,000 beast was first introduced. The F65's dreaded workflow is no longer an issue in 2019.
    WGA West
    NABET Local 53, IATSE Local 695 (inactive)
    Sony F65, FS700 Odyssey 7Q+

Speaking of this beast’s mechanical shutter, I tend to use it sparingly since they’re known to break down prematurely and finding a replacement one is nearly impossible.
    --
    Ed Araquel - Photographer, SMPSP & IATSE 669
    http://edaraquel.com
    Sony F65, 2 - A7RIII, A6500 and a mixed bag of Nikon, E mount, and PL mount lenses
    Instagram: @edaphotographer

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Araquel View Post
    Speaking of this beast’s mechanical shutter, I tend to use it sparingly since they’re known to break down prematurely and finding a replacement one is nearly impossible.
    Yes, I read that. But I've also talked to people who had upwards of 2k hours on their cameras and didn't have a problem. Can I ask how many miles you have on yours, Ed? I wonder if it might have been an issue with a specific serial range, mine is very early.
    WGA West
    NABET Local 53, IATSE Local 695 (inactive)
    Sony F65, FS700 Odyssey 7Q+