Thread: New Monstro owner! Do I nned this DSMC VV AL CANON MOUNT?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New Monstro owner! Do I nned this DSMC VV AL CANON MOUNT? 
    I am not sure if this mount for EF lenses will make a difference? Do I need it? I have the s35 EF mount and so far at 8K I am not seeing vignetting on my mount. But any wide angle lens will I have an issue or does this DSMC VV AL CANON MOUNT make a difference?
    Red Monstro 8K VV | Red Gemini 5K | Kippertie Revolva

From my understanding.... original original EF mounts were large enough for VV. Somewhere along the line people complained about gate flare on s35 sensors and newer mounts were made which had a smaller opening (I suspect to fix that). If you have a very old mount I feel you should be fine. Newer s35 mounts probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by adam brennan View Post
    I am not sure if this mount for EF lenses will make a difference? Do I need it? I have the s35 EF mount and so far at 8K I am not seeing vignetting on my mount. But any wide angle lens will I have an issue or does this DSMC VV AL CANON MOUNT make a difference?
    Yes you best use the VV AL Canon mount for your Monstro.

VV

VS: S35

Quote Originally Posted by Ketch Rossi View Post
    Yes you best use the VV AL Canon mount for your Monstro.

VV

VS: S35
    With my S35 Canon EF mount I am not seeing any issues down to 16mm. Haven't tried anything below that. Also using my Revolva, so no issues with vignetting. So that is why I was asking if this VV mount is necessary with 90% of the lenses out there?

I got my Monstro upgrade pretty early and I had to use my old s35 EF mount for a month or two while i waited for the VV version, can't remember what the issue was but there was a reason why i sold the old s35 version. Might have been a weird flare or vignette, actually i think it was that i was getting flares that were cut on the top and bottom... (it's been nearly 2 years) i previously had the 1st Gen EF mount (from when i first bought a Scarlet MX 8 years ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bros View Post
    I got my Monstro upgrade pretty early and I had to use my old s35 EF mount for a month or two while i waited for the VV version, can't remember what the issue was but there was a reason why i sold the old s35 version. Might have been a weird flare or vignette, actually i think it was that i was getting flares that were cut on the top and bottom... (it's been nearly 2 years) i previously had the 1st Gen EF mount (from when i first bought a Scarlet MX 8 years ago)
    Not sure which one I got. But no issues so far.

Yes. It vignettes, doesn't cover VV. Had to use the S35 when I had an issue with my VV one. Had to shoot 6K and 7K while my VV went for Repairs!
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Perez View Post
    Yes. It vignettes, doesn't cover VV. Had to use the S35 when I had an issue with my VV one. Had to shoot 6K and 7K while my VV went for Repairs!
    What lens is vignetting? I am all the way down to a 16mm L canon lens with no vignetting and also using Kippertie ND revolva. Not arguing. Just trying to figure out limitations. Thank you for all
    The responses!

Quote Originally Posted by adam brennan View Post
    What lens is vignetting? I am all the way down to a 16mm L canon lens with no vignetting and also using Kippertie ND revolva. Not arguing. Just trying to figure out limitations. Thank you for all
    The responses!
    I have no experience with the revolva but the regular Ti S35 mount I have on our Scarlet W did Vignette on the wider lenses at 8K. Can't specifically say which now because, honestly, am not going to change mounts and test this just for internet validation. My hands-on experience is that it vignettes. Maybe there are different variations on mounts but its your money and your jobs, so feel free to use the S35 one!
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

This convo makes me wonder about my EF motion mount. I'd love to use it on monstro at 8K with long lenses, when working with a 600 for example the MM is a dream, especially with sunsets in the frame and such. but maybe Id have to go to 6 or 7K when using it.
    Silver Lake Studios Inc.
    Film Production and Stock Footage
    Rentals and other goodies at
    www.utahcinevideo.com
    www.slsfilm.com