Thread: EVF to Raven?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 EVF to Raven? 
    I have a Raven with 4.7 display, and on that a "Grid" loupe. A problem is that when changing setting I have to fold up the loupe, not so smart ...

Then thinking about the DSMC2 RED EVF (OLED).
    How do I change settings?
    Do I still use the LCD display for changing settings?
    Are all settings visible in the EVF?

Sorry for stupid(?) questions but I just do not get it ...
    Sverker Hahn

Slower is better!

Red Raven #002638
    Sigma 18-35 mm
    Canon 100-400 mm
    MacMini
    MacBook Pro

Hi Sverker,

Yes, I believe you can use the EVF alongside the 4.7"... using them both as monitors, and the 4.7" touchscreen for changing settings. The downside is that having them both running at the same time disables the HMDI output port, in case you use that.

If you decide to ditch the 4.7" and go with just the EVF, you'll need some other way to control the camera settings. That can be through purchasing a DSMC2 Sidekick, or setting up your phone with the Foolcontrol app, which allows you to connect to and control your camera brain.

https://www.red.com/dsmc2-sidekick-camera-control

Hi, Kevin,

My main concern is that changing settings on the LCD outdoors is so difficult. I think that having both LCD and EVF is nice if I can se te whole display in the EVF. Having to remove the eye to the LCD for every little setting change does not seem optimal. Even with sideick or phone one has to look at another gadget. No, I want to watch the display continously.
    Sverker Hahn

Slower is better!

Red Raven #002638
    Sigma 18-35 mm
    Canon 100-400 mm
    MacMini
    MacBook Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sverker Hahn View Post
    Hi, Kevin,

My main concern is that changing settings on the LCD outdoors is so difficult. I think that having both LCD and EVF is nice if I can se te whole display in the EVF. Having to remove the eye to the LCD for every little setting change does not seem optimal. Even with sideick or phone one has to look at another gadget. No, I want to watch the display continously.
    Well, there's literally no way to control a camera without having some sort of buttons that are not part of the EVF. So, it seems your best bet is to get a Sidekick and then familiarize yourself with the buttons enough that you don't have to look at it in order to make settings changes.

You can also use the sidekick as a way to change settings while viewing through the EVF by hitting the mode button, essentially turning the functionality of the sidekick into a side handle minus the handle part.