Thread: RED RANGER/DSMC2 LCD Cable Confusion

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 RED RANGER/DSMC2 LCD Cable Confusion 
    Hey All,

First post! I'm a recent RED Gemini Owner and I'm having a head scratching moment over the LCD/EVF Lemo Cable/Adapter. With the purchase of the Gemini I bought the RED 7" UltraBrite Standard and the LEMO Adapter A to connect body to monitor. As I've come to find out RED and Wooden Camera's Right angled RED cables out of the LEMO Adapter A (when mounted on the side of a RED body) angles towards my head when shoulder mounted. This is incredibly annoying when filming on the shoulder and also somewhat perplexing in general. My solution has been to use the WC POGO to LEMO for cabling.

So to my question... I was recently looking at pictures of the RED Ranger and it shows that the Right Angled LEMO cable coming off the operator side is facing the front of the camera NOT to the operator's head. Now I know this looks to be a different (built-in) LEMO port on the Ranger, but is there a similar cable solution to the DSMC2 body, or is that cable port/adapter one day available to buy for a DSMC2 body? I hope this all makes sense. A pic of what I'm talking about regarding the Ranger is attached. In general, I'd love to find a LEMO to LEMO LCD cable that is angled and pointing towards the front of the camera.

Thanks in advance, and excited to be a part of this great community.
    Attached Images

You're not the only one to have brought up this issue:

https://www.reduser.net/forum/showth...the-connection

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...LEMO-Adaptor-A

Perhaps RED or Alvin's cables can make you a cable that has the right angle Lemos oriented in your preferred direction.

Is mounting the Lemo Adaptor to the top POGO not possible in your build?

Aaron, thanks for the response! I did scour those threads before considering posting, however I thought in light of the Ranger pic showing a different orientation that maybe there's something out there I was missing. Those posts were also from a couple years back so I thought maybe something new had come along.

To your question about using the Lemo Adapter on the top it's not ideal. I have the KipperTie Revolva and the Wooden Camera Revolva Top Plate and connecting the cable on the straight side just seems silly sticking out over the revolva and lens, and the right angle end sticks straight up. In a perfect world I'd like the cable to hug the body of the camera better and with the ridgity of the RED cable option it's an uphill challenge. I just wonder what that connector is on the Ranger? I wonder if it's a different cable or if the connector changes the orientation?
    Last edited by Dylan Trivette; 11-17-2019 at 04:01 PM.

I looked more into it. The Ranger comes with a different Lemo adapter for the side. It's called the Flush Mount Adaptor and it has some 1/4"-20's for mounting a monitor: https://youtu.be/jGTBj-1GrQw?t=231

Peculiar that you can't buy that piece in the store...

You rock! Many thanks for the link to the video. I'm going to call RED to see if that adaptor is available to buy assuming it's compatible.

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Keep us posted I also wanted to buy one of these as soon as I saw a RANGER to fix the exact same issue with side port angled cable ending toward the operator’s head...
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

John says +1

You've reminded me that I contacted Media Blackout a while back to order a custom cable with the Anglissimo connector, which allows you to pick the angle. To clarify, the angle can only be set once at build time, it's not a rotating connector. I kinda forgot about it, as it just wasn't enough of a priority, and they are quite expensive. They offered a bit of a discount if we could agree on the angle and order a few cables at once.