Thread: I shot 29.9 on set but metadata is showing up as 23.97 fps

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 I shot 29.9 on set but metadata is showing up as 23.97 fps 
    I shot 29.9 on set but metadata is showing up as 23.97 fps any ideas?

Two sort of frame rates. Project frame rate = playback speed. and then you got shot frame rate.

Likely you changed the frame rate in top left corner main menu. Thats shot framrate. And likely you your project/playback frame rate that you set in menu/project was set to 23.97p.

But if you want it to play back in 29.9 then you can simply reformat the material in redcine X pro. Or just drag the clips into a 29.9 timeline in premiere or such. That is if you want to playback in 29.9P
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Two sort of frame rates. Project frame rate = playback speed. and then you got shot frame rate.

Likely you changed the frame rate in top left corner main menu. Thats shot framrate. And likely you your project/playback frame rate that you set in menu/project was set to 23.97p.

But if you want it to play back in 29.9 then you can simply reformat the material in redcine X pro. Or just drag the clips into a 29.9 timeline in premiere or such. That is if you want to playback in 29.9P
    I would like it to playback at 23.97. I changed the shot frame rate to 29.9 but wondering why the metadata is showing frame rate as it as 23.97.

As Bjorn stated. Open up in Redcine Pro and see what the Project Time base is and the Recorded Frame rate.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Senior Member Anthony Berenato Jr's Avatar
    You've essentially received the output you were looking for straight from camera. Your sensor was recording the 29.9 FPS into a 23.97 container, which elongates your time and stretches it out to create the slightest bit of slow motion.
    Anthony Berenato Jr.
    Director / Cinematography Enthusiast
    Web: http://www.anthonyandcamera.com
    Reel: http://vimeo.com/89725163

Weapon Helium 8K #4844

Quote Originally Posted by yves d View Post
    I would like it to playback at 23.97. I changed the shot frame rate to 29.9 but wondering why the metadata is showing frame rate as it as 23.97.
    Metadata will always show the project frame rate, not the overcrank frame rate. Thus, when the project is 25fps, and the actual camera frame rate is set to 50fps, the editing program will always show it as 25fps, and will playback by default as 25fps, while the actual footage was shot at 50fps.

For better understanding of the subject - with actual FPS you tell the camera with what FPS it will shoot, while with Project FPS you tell the camera/editing software with which FPS you want the footage to be displayed (played back).

When the actual FPS and project FPS mismatch, ie they are not the same, the camera won’t record sound also.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lubensky View Post
    Metadata will always show the project frame rate, not the overcrank frame rate. Thus, when the project is 25fps, and the actual camera frame rate is set to 50fps, the editing program will always show it as 25fps, and will playback by default as 25fps, while the actual footage was shot at 50fps.

For better understanding of the subject - with actual FPS you tell the camera with what FPS it will shoot, while with Project FPS you tell the camera/editing software with which FPS you want the footage to be displayed (played back).

When the actual FPS and project FPS mismatch, ie they are not the same, the camera won’t record sound also.
    By default it won’t record audio but you just need to turn the option on to record audio when in variable frame rate mode. (Actually this may only be true on dsmc2)

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram