Thread: MacBook Pro 16" Configuration

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    There is a big improvement in R3D performance with just the latest FCPX update on any recent hardware, will be even better on the new MBP. For R3D I would definitely recommend getting the top spec you can afford in all categories. Storage would be the one area you may not need to max out as there are many great external options out there for video. Performance for 4k-6k will be quite good on any of the configs, for 8k I would definitely go for the high end CPU and GPU options.

Really hoping Red is able to get an update out to the macOS plugin sometime this year, will just get better.

So I pulled the trigger. Max spec in all areas except I went 4TB storage rather than the full 8TB. Should have it within 2 weeks...
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    So I pulled the trigger. Max spec in all areas except I went 4TB storage rather than the full 8TB. Should have it within 2 weeks...
    Looking forward to your toughs Jeff!

Mainly to see what is really worth spending money on.

Ditto.

Few infos which would help:

- At what point does throttling kick in and by how much is rendering speed reduced when it does

- RT performance in Resolve (resolutions, codecs, debayer settings)

- Is keyboard feel improved over office photocopier feel from the first generation
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

I have pulled the trigger as well with...

2.4GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
    64GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
    AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
    2TB SSD storage

But actually the big question for me is...

1) is there any real chance that the thermal ablities of this machine could be improved enough to justify the 2.3 to 2.4 CPU upgrade...?...for sustained loads like rendering or dewaveleting in playback

Cause if it is no... and the 8 core will under a sustained load throttle to be just as slow as the 2.3 I should save the money.

and the smaller Qs are

2) I have checked the applications I use and none of them 'need' more than about 24gb of Ram.. should I just get 32gb and stick that money with the probably futile upgrade the CPU money on more SSD? Cause 4TB would be nice...
    3) Will any clever 3rd party be able to upgrade the CPU/Memory or SSD at a later date?

Bigger Apple stores in major cities should have them on display today, some had them yesterday. The one I played with on Wednesday was being put into the Broomfield, CO - Flatirons Crossing store as a demo. So having my hands on one of these the other day for a bit, here's what I can say...

Keyboard. It felt better to me and familiar, I wasn't sure what to think of it in the moment. Then I realized it is identical to the current Magic Keyboard and I spend a lot of time typing on the one paired with my iMac Pro. So yes, it's a definite improvement. Ultimately I would love just a tad more travel and springiness to these Apple keyboards, but this is a good step in the right direction.

CPU and RAM. The unit I played with had the 2.3GHz CPU and 32GB RAM. Mostly we ran through FCPX stuff and some Adobe software, predominantly Photoshop as far as Adobe was concerned. I don't think Premiere was even loaded up. We tried AE a bit toward the end of the session, but not enough was seen or done there to know how well it handled. FCPX was loaded up with lots of 4K ProRes clips and it all cut like butter. I wish I could have seen how it handled R3D and other formats. The onboard SSD is wicked fast, as expected. They had 2TB on the demo unit. I did not encounter any throttling issues while myself and the others there pushed it as hard as we could with the resources installed on it. For close to 45 minutes straight.

Considering the 2.3 vs. 2.4 CPU... It's a tough call and they're effectively the same CPU. While I have not seen the specifics on these CPUs, typically two in the same series like this with only clock rates differentiating them, they're often produced as the same CPU die and clock rates are finalized through the QC process. In this case, the 2.4 was probably able to run at the 100MHz faster sustained rate while holding thermals within the desired spec. The 2.3GHz units might run a few degrees cooler, but probably not much. I think if making decisions on upgrades, I would make sure I get the 64GB RAM and 8GB 5500 GPU first. Then decide how the 2.4GHz CPU and SSD capacity fit into the budget.

Not so sure about the SSD upgradability as some MBP models have recently been upgradeable in that department. The RAM and CPU however are not upgradeable. We'll know more once these ship to customers and we see a tear-down.

That's really all I can think to say. I'm sure we'll start seeing lots of reports as people are starting to pick these up now. The screen was definitely an improvement over my 2016 model I sold last year. I still wish they would put a true 4K worth of pixels in there and was a little surprised they didn't when going to 16".
    - Jeff Kilgroe

Thanks Jeff ....for your thoughts!

I have not had a chance to watch, but it seems iFixit already has posted their tear-down today.
    - Jeff Kilgroe

I have not had a chance to watch, but it seems iFixit already has posted their tear-down today.
    At this link:

The New MacBook Pro Keyboard is a Throwback in the Best Way
    https://www.ifixit.com/News/16-inch-...oard-throwback
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer