Thread: MacBook Pro 16" Configuration

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 MacBook Pro 16" Configuration 
    Hey - with the new 16" MBP, someone told me 64GB ram isn't worthwhile because laptops can only actually take advantage of a certain amount of memory before the returns diminish - is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLeahy View Post
    is that true?
    No.

That may have been true in the past, particularly with developers always playing "catch-up", but who knows now?

Depends on what you use it for. 64GB is an ideal amount of RAM for an 8-core system that does moderate workloads supporting an 8GB GPU. What concerns me with laptops, all brands and not just Apple, is the bottleneck becomes thermal in nature. Now that we have 8-core CPUs and can put 64GB RAM in there, I know I can drive it hard enough that it will thermally throttle itself back so it doesn't burn up and we will almost surely need external cooling to use this thing as an actual workstation.

Not sure if I'm going to order one myself. I want to hear what others have to say or get my hands on one where I can really play with it. I don't own a 15" MBP right now. In fact the only laptop I own right now is a 13" MBP from last year. It works for general stuff and it easily goes everywhere and yet I can do 95% of the same stuff on my iPad Pro as well as other things the MBP can't do. So the iPad is my most-used portable computer device that isn't my phone. I gave up on other larger notebooks because I kept burning them up or they fell way short on promises. The last truly great laptop I owned was the first-gen 2012 retina MBP. Had all-day battery life, better keyboard and I could drive it hard all day. The thing was a tank. Ever since the Touch Bar MBP has come around it seems like development has been driven more by form than function. We keep adding more cores, storage, GPU, etc.. all while trying to shrink the overall form factor and battery. Apple seems to have shifted gears a bit this time around. They're offering the maximum RAM supported by the CPU and they have increased the battery size, redesigned the keyboard and improved the screen (which was already really good). I'm hopeful, but very skeptical.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

As I posted to the Mac Pro thread, not that I wanted to hijack it, but I got to see one this afternoon. I've decided to order one. Nice improvement to the screen and keyboard. Otherwise it feels the same as the previous iteration. It was very responsive running FCPX and Adobe apps. I didn't get much hands-on time, but if you're in the market for a new notebook, especially a MacBook Pro, then this is the one.
    - Jeff Kilgroe

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    As I posted to the Mac Pro thread, not that I wanted to hijack it, but I got to see one this afternoon. I've decided to order one. Nice improvement to the screen and keyboard. Otherwise it feels the same as the previous iteration. It was very responsive running FCPX and Adobe apps. I didn't get much hands-on time, but if you're in the market for a new notebook, especially a MacBook Pro, then this is the one.
    Hey Jeff - would you advise what specs you went with? I don't mean to copy your exact order (TBs aren't a huge concern for me since I just edit proxies while traveling). I'm just curious about what you decided on based with what you said with thermal throttling - I, too, edit with FCPX and do some photo editing with Affinity, but nothing terribly intense. My 2013 MBPr has just been showing its age on render times now.

Dang! Should have waited a tad longer. Still very happy with my maxed out 15. Apple is clawing its way back :)

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Thanks for sharing your impressions Jeff, was really hoping to get some info on how the new 16 inch MacBook Pro runs 8K R3D files. Hopefully Jarred or someone from RED can chime in with some extra info. I've been holding out for so long to upgrade my 2012 MacBook Pro retina, I'm really hoping that this new 16 inch plays well with R3D.
    Last edited by David Grigorian; 11-13-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Grigorian View Post
    Thanks for sharing your impressions Jeff, was really hoping to get some info on how the new 16 inch MacBook Pro runs 8K R3D files. Hopefully Jarred or someone from RED can chime in with some extra info. I've been holding out for so long to upgrade my 2012 MacBook Pro retina, I'm really hoping that this new 16 inch plays well with R3D.
    When Apple can do magic with the used GPU you might be lucky, otherwise it's about 2 times slower than an equivalent Windows laptop with a RTX2080 in it.

No idea on R3D performance, but I'm sure there's a noticeable improvement over the previous generation MBP. It's like Misha says, we're waiting to see what comes out of RED in regards to the new Apple products and support for Metal and such. Laptops that have a desktop class GPU are always going to win out for intense GPU operations, but they have their own set of trade-offs. Usually in regards to the overall size and weight.

I pushed the laptop pretty hard today, or at least a handful of us took turns doing so for about 30 minutes. Mostly with FCPX and lots of 4K clips and I thought it handled extremely well. I know that pushing it really hard in Resolve or Fusion, or trying to max out all cores for 8K transcodes, it's going to put a strain on this system. Thermal throttling is going to be an issue for some workloads, there' just no way around that.

I have not ordered yet myself. I intend to... Biggest hangup is that I'm unsure which storage capacity I want. I know I'm going with the top end 2.4GHz i9 CPU and 64GB RAM, 8GB GPU. From there it will probably be the 2TB SSD, but I might go 4TB. 8TB would be awesome, but I'm only willing to throw so much money at this since it's going to be obsolete in a couple short years.
    - Jeff Kilgroe