Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Apple + RED

Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    I think this is great news for MacBook Pro 16inch Purchasers but I am not clear... any chance you can help;-)

Will my brand new maxed spec MacBookpro 16 playback r3ds better than it does now?
    What a win it will be, if it could play one stream full Res.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    What AMD is doing with CPU's now... I mean it's just insane. absolutely insane.
    What Apple is not doing with AMD CPUs is just insane. Absolutely insane.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Great news!

What's the timeframe for metal support in RCX/RedLine?
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    What Apple is not doing with AMD CPUs is just insane. Absolutely insane.
    It was only very recently that Intel opened up Thunderbolt 3 spec to be used by other CPU and chipset manufacturers, so if AMD decides to implement thunderbolt 3 support directly on CPU it could definitely open up some interesting possibilities. Obviously Apple is extremely well versed in thunderbolt 3 (likely more than any other company).

If you want a Mac with AMD CPUs, please let it be known!

The implementation of the MPX modules with additional PCI connectors to support additional power (without extra power cables like all other big GPUs) as well as multiple Thunderbolt 3 ports on the the GPU, is one of the coolest things about the new Mac Pro. The amount of power available through those connectors is much higher than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    It was only very recently that Intel opened up Thunderbolt 3 spec to be used by other CPU and chipset manufacturers, so if AMD decides to implement thunderbolt 3 support directly on CPU it could definitely open up some interesting possibilities. Obviously Apple is extremely well versed in thunderbolt 3 (likely more than any other company).

The implementation of the MPX modules with additional PCI connectors to support additional power (without extra power cables like all other big GPUs) as well as multiple Thunderbolt 3 ports on the the GPU, is one of the coolest things about the new Mac Pro. The amount of power available through those connectors is much higher than normal.
    OUR hopes not only electricity, but everything else .

The new 16" is a massive jump in metal performance over the 15". The new Cuda SDK drops this morning, so Resolve on both sides will work when BM is finished integrating, obviously much much better under Cuda on your 28 core titan.
    Thanks for the info... looking forwards to the improvements!

That would be fun, AMD having implemented Thunderbolt 3 directly on the CPU while intel is still using a separate Thunderbolt controller IC.
    When you want an AMD machine running MacOS, just install it, it works.
    A 3950x + Asrock Creator(10G + 2x TB3) is fast enough to process 8k.R3D 5:1 24 fps at full resolution in realtime (editing) on MacOS, Windows and Linux. When you prefer the looks of the new Mac Pro, you can get a Dunecase with similar looks for a fraction of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    That would be fun, AMD having implemented Thunderbolt 3 directly on the CPU while intel is still using a separate Thunderbolt controller IC.
    When you want an AMD machine running MacOS, just install it, it works.
    A 3950x + Asrock Creator(10G + 2x TB3) is fast enough to process 8k.R3D 5:1 24 fps at full resolution in realtime (editing) on MacOS, Windows and Linux. When you prefer the looks of the new Mac Pro, you can get a Dunecase with similar looks for a fraction of the price.
    Intel has already discussed implementing TB3 directly on newer CPUs as well. The current TB3 controllers are quite large still so it's hardly a trivial task. Makes more sense to integrate them into a much larger GPU, something Apple has already done on the Mac Pro.

Also. Just stop. I don't want this, and nobody else wants this. I don't know why you bring this upon everyone and yourself in nearly every thread. It isn't "just install it, it works", and it's not even close to that. It is an extremely Mickey Mouse solution with a lot of limitations. If you are a Mickey Mouse operation I am sure it is great solution. If you live in a world where you think that machine you described is in anyway similar in terms of setup, specs, design, build-quality, sound, capability, upgradeability, IO, and so on to the new Mac Pro then I don't even have a response.

Driving a 6K HDR display over a single TB3 cable is a very non-trivial task as well. Not to mention 4 from the same machine. A 32" 4K display is a really terrible solution for desktop use. The size of the display to resolution is a very bad mix and is not in anyway an alternative to the 32" 6k display.

The new 16" is a massive jump in metal performance over the 15".
    Patiently waits for some nice pre-Metal R3D and post-Metal R3D numbers. :)

The new 8GB 5500M on the 16" chomps pretty hard so far in my testing.

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Patiently waits for some nice pre-Metal R3D and post-Metal R3D numbers. :)

The new 8GB 5500M on the 16" chomps pretty hard so far in my testing.
    Agree. and even though we just got on the metal train I still do wish the 16 had the option for an RTX inside it though. I am typing on the 16" as we speak with a gnarly keyshot render going on in the background which is another program that only uses NVIDIA GPUs and it would of been done an hour ago but now it wont be done till the morning.