Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: 6K Dragon-X DSMC2 Petition!

Closed Thread
Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
    I have a few questions :

1. When shooting 5k with the new upcoming 6K Dragon-X, will the picture be the same (color wise and sensor size) as the Scarlet-W at 5K ?

Because we're in the middle of a long projet started with the Scarlet-W and if we update the brain we'd like to keep consistency for the picture

2. Is it possible to add the extra 2 year warranty Armor when upgrading to the new Dragon-X brain ?

3. I don't understand the schedule thing : is the upgrading process starting on the 17th of December or closing for the registering date ?

4. Would it be possible to have the full specs /price of Komodo before having to choose to upgrade or not to Dragon-X ?

Because it would be nice to avoid realizing that it would have been better to sell the Scarlet-W and to buy the Komodo instead of upgrading once it's done...

Thanks,

Kristin

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin Stewart View Post
    I have a few questions :

1. When shooting 5k with the new upcoming 6K Dragon-X, will the picture be the same (color wise and sensor size) as the Scarlet-W at 5K ?

Because we're in the middle of a long projet started with the Scarlet-W and if we update the brain we'd like to keep consistency for the picture

2. Is it possible to add the extra 2 year warranty Armor when upgrading to the new Dragon-X brain ?

3. I don't understand the schedule thing : is the upgrading process starting on the 17th of December or closing for the registering date ?

4. Would it be possible to have the full specs /price of Komodo before having to choose to upgrade or not to Dragon-X ?

Because it would be nice to avoid realizing that it would have been better to sell the Scarlet-W and to buy the Komodo instead of upgrading once it's done...

Thanks,

Kristin
    I can actually answer that first one. I was invited to do the upgrade by a Red rep yesterday, and I asked him what that sensor size and max frame rate is. He replied:

“ As far as size it will be 25.6 mm x 13.5 mm (Diagonal: 28.9 mm) and will be able to do 75 fps at 6K.”

That’s the same size as the current 5k Dragon X (and SW), so if this is correct we’re just getting a resolution bump with no change to sensor size.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahnon Bennett View Post
    I can actually answer that first one. I was invited to do the upgrade by a Red rep yesterday, and I asked him what that sensor size and max frame rate is. He replied:

“ As far as size it will be 25.6 mm x 13.5 mm (Diagonal: 28.9 mm) and will be able to do 75 fps at 6K.”

That’s the same size as the current 5k Dragon X (and SW), so if this is correct we’re just getting a resolution bump with no change to sensor size.
    Crossing my fingers the rep is wrong about no change to sensor size crop factor. That's the only real reason I personally was interested in this upgrade.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Zero previous RED cameras work this way. Dragon sensor is a Dragon sensor. The question is the outer edges masked out and now brought back into play.

Remember the OG Scarlet Dragon DSMC-1 also was a 6K sensor at 12fps. Just the internals couldn't drive 24fps at 6K. Essentially making it 5K for films.

Carter McCormick Scarlet W to Dragon 6k +1

This is not accurate. The 6K sensor size is 30.72x15.80mm and will shoot at 82 fps at that resolution. So, you will be getting a wider FOV than the close to S35 5K currently.
    Red Dragon-x "Big-Skippy"

www.imaginationx.com

Someone on the DSMC2 FB group brought up an interesting question.... since Gemini's sensor is 30.72 mm x 18 mm (Diag: 35.61 mm), would we see a software update for that camera as well to get it into 6K?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Balkum View Post
    This is not accurate. The 6K sensor size is 30.72x15.80mm and will shoot at 82 fps at that resolution. So, you will be getting a wider FOV than the close to S35 5K currently.

That's specifically for the Weapon Mg sensor, I believe. Dragon-X (which will have a firmware update to enable 6K) is 25.6 mm x 13.5 mm

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLeahy View Post
    That's specifically for the Weapon Mg sensor, I believe. Dragon-X (which will have a firmware update to enable 6K) is 25.6 mm x 13.5 mm
    This would presume that for the first time ever RED has done pixel binning on their existing camera. Something which they have always been against.