Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: 6K Dragon-X DSMC2 Petition!

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    So does this mean SW is actually a 6K sensor software limited to 5K? And by sending in a SW for a board upgrade to Dragon-X we would eventually get to use the full 6K sensor once the firmware is finalized?

Wow!! This sounds really good!! Finally 6K Dragon option!

What would the 6K Dragon-X specs look like for us, btw? :D

Best guess / excpectancy for the dragon X 6K is something along the lines of the former Weapon 6K

SENSOR TYPE RED DRAGON 19.4 Megapixel CMOS
    EFFECTIVE PIXELS 6144 x 3160
    SENSOR SIZE 30.7 mm x 15.8 mm (Diagonal: 34.5 mm)
    DYNAMIC RANGE 16.5+ stops
    MAX DATA RATES Up to 225 MB/s using RED MINI-MAG
    REDCODE RAW MAX FRAME RATES
    75 fps at 6K Full Format (6144 x 3160), 100 fps at 6K 2.4:1 (6144 x 2592)
    96 fps at 5K Full Format (5120 x 2700), 120 fps at 5K 2.4:1 (5120 x 2160)
    120 fps at 4K Full Format (4096 x 2160), 150 fps at 4K 2.4:1 (4096 x 1728)
    150 fps at 3K Full Format (3072 x 1620), 200 fps at 3K 2.4:1 (3072 x 1296)
    240 fps at 2K Full Format (2048 x 1080), 300 fps at 2K 2.4:1 (2048 x 864)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post

How does that sound?
    Quick answer: Awesome! :-) Thanks Jarred
    Last edited by Sergio Herencias; 11-16-2019 at 02:30 PM.
    sergioherencias.com - guavemotion.ch
    director // cinematographer // motion designer

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Almquist View Post
    So does this mean SW is actually a 6K sensor software limited to 5K? And by sending in a SW for a board upgrade to Dragon-X we would eventually get to use the full 6K sensor once the firmware is finalized?
    It's been discussed before and even a tear-down was done online, but there are different amounts of RAM and other things involved. i.e. hardware limitations. The chip is there, the processing power isn't.

Similar to those who crashed their Scarlets way back when because it could "see stuff", but didn't have the horses to "do stuff".
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    no no, I don't think we need to adjust the price... the 5k Dragon-X already have 6K sensors in them. We just need about a month of software work to get IPP2 working on 6k Dragons.

This wont work on Raven.. those sensors are hard 4.5k sensors. And some dragon sensors were software masked down to a smaller resolution that had defects down to a smaller resolution but that was mostly the VV dragons.

And this wont work on DSMC1 users on the list because remember the unified internal boards didn't happen until DSMC2.... But I think most of you have an upgrade path to Dragon-X so you can just do that to get you to this.

So.... the cleanest way to do this since our friend looks like he is gonna get his 50 signatures is to just turn the 5K Dragon-X into 6K Dragon-x and then let the Scarlet-W and MG folks do that normal $4995 upgrade to them.

A bit messy on our side.. some cameras will need more changes some less, but I think it will all balance out in the end and the upgrade fee Scarlet-W and MG users pay should cover the expense of doing this.. and Dragon-X owners just wake up with a better camera after hopefully just a new firmware... so I don't think we will need to charge any more for new Dragon-X 6K cameras.. the 5K Dragon-X just goes away, and Dragon-X owners are forever indebted to the MG and Scarlet-W guys and girls that initiated this change in the program.

The biggest problem with this is a cosmetic one. Scarlet-W and MG users that do this will get new bodies that will say Dragon-X 6k on them so they are ok.. but existing Dragon-X owners with 5K branded on their cameras that now shoot 6k will need to either live with that.. or we can figure out some sort of body upgrade fee to swap out that front panel if it bothers them. Kind of the worst panel to change because it requires a full camera rebuild just to change that, but still I don't see that being more than $500 or $600.

How does that sound?
    BTW this sounds amazing.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil Kamkolkar View Post
    Heya Jarred, did you mean the DSMC1 users when you said "most of you"? Just fyi, that there is no path for Epic Dragon folks to go to Dragon X. Which is nothing less than tragic. ;)

Maybe that'll change and I hope, that the EPIC Dragon to Dragon X isn't painful financially.

I'd love to be on DSMC2 Helium (from Epic-w) and DSMC2 Dragon-X 6K (Epic Dragon) and can't do this right away... it's just too much money. But maybe over time. So please don't make this time bound, if possible.

Thanks!
    +1 to this! I'm in the exact same boat and would love to keep riding the RED train!!! Would be great to have a pathway from epic dragon to dragon-x (and financially lovable from Australia :D)!

Choo Choooooooo!!!!
    Joshua Hoareau
    www.cinestudios.com.au
    Epic-X Dragon #5108 "Ancalagon"
    Sony CineAlta PL Cinema Lenses
    Canon C100 Mk II / Sony A7III
    CINESTUDIOS

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    It's been discussed before and even a tear-down was done online, but there are different amounts of RAM and other things involved. i.e. hardware limitations. The chip is there, the processing power isn't.

Similar to those who crashed their Scarlets way back when because it could "see stuff", but didn't have the horses to "do stuff".
    Very interesting, thanks for the clarification Phil!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil Kamkolkar View Post
    Heya Jarred, did you mean the DSMC1 users when you said "most of you"? Just fyi, that there is no path for Epic Dragon folks to go to Dragon X. Which is nothing less than tragic. ;)

Maybe that'll change and I hope, that the EPIC Dragon to Dragon X isn't painful financially.

I'd love to be on DSMC2 Helium (from Epic-w) and DSMC2 Dragon-X 6K (Epic Dragon) and can't do this right away... it's just too much money. But maybe over time. So please don't make this time bound, if possible.

Thanks!
    Hmmm...never realized there wasn't an EPIC DRAGON --> DRAGON X upgrade path, but there isn't, you are correct (I just checked).

Given these new developments, I could see lots of old-school Epic Dragon users jumping on this Dragon X if the upgrade is made avail...
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv