Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: 6K Dragon-X DSMC2 Petition!

Closed Thread
Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLeahy View Post
    Someone on the DSMC2 FB group brought up an interesting question.... since Gemini's sensor is 30.72 mm x 18 mm (Diag: 35.61 mm), would we see a software update for that camera as well to get it into 6K?
    Gemini is a 5K sensor. There is nothing more to gain from it in resolution.
    Red Dragon-x "Big-Skippy"

www.imaginationx.com

That's specifically for the Weapon Mg sensor, I believe. Dragon-X (which will have a firmware update to enable 6K) is 25.6 mm x 13.5 mm
    There are 3 flavors of Dragon sensors ever made. 4.5K, 6K, and 8K. All of these we are talking about are the 6K sensors. Red does not pixel bin. This will be the full 6K sensor 30.72x15.80mm. The sensor size stated for Dragon-X 5K is not the physical sensor size but the usable sensor size. They will be simply making it use all of the sensor with the firmware upgrade on Dragon-X and with board replacements on the Scarlet-W
    Last edited by Scott Balkum; 12-06-2019 at 01:43 PM.

www.imaginationx.com

That's specifically for the Weapon Mg sensor, I believe. Dragon-X (which will have a firmware update to enable 6K) is 25.6 mm x 13.5 mm
    I see both sides here. Iíve asked for clarification/verification of the size. It does make sense to me that if theyíre opening up the Dragon sensor to full res that the area of the sensor being used would also increase. But not being an engineer Iím not sure how this works technically.

Itís after hours now, but hopefully Iíll get an answer back on Monday and will let everyone know what he says.

If itís a Dragon sensor the pixel size would be the same. So 6k is 30,72 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Actually applies to SW owners more than anyone... not sure this will still exist in march.. When it's done it is done.. That's how these group things work.

So get on the list, doesn't guarantee you will have a place if you get called and you need to bump it... but it gives you a much better chance of getting in if it takes us longer than expected.
    I think I asked my question incorrectly. I spoke with a rep and he let me know that when you sign up you can choose your window for the swap. I just did and chose the end of February, so Iím good and looking forward to the new camera.

Ok well that was fast. The rep already responded and gave me the official specs. He was initially mistaken, and good news:

“ I just got confirmation the it will actually increase to assimilate the same specs as WEAPON Dragon 6K:

EFFECTIVE PIXELS: 6144 x 3160
    SENSOR SIZE: 30.7 mm x 15.8 mm (Diagonal: 34.5 mm)
    DYNAMIC RANGE: 16.5+ stops

75 fps at 6K Full Frame (6144 x 3160), 100 fps at 6K 2.4:1 (6144 x 2592)
    96 fps at 5K Full Frame (5120 x 2700), 120 fps at 5K 2.4:1 (5120 x 2160)
    120 fps at 4K Full Frame (4096 x 2160), 150 fps at 4K 2.4:1 (4096 x 1728)
    150 fps at 3K Full Frame (3072 x 1620), 200 fps at 3K 2.4:1 (3072 x 1296)
    240 fps at 2K Full Frame (2048 x 1080), 300 fps at 2K 2.4:1 (2048 x 864)”

So you guys that said you will get the wider fov are correct. I’m also happy about this because it is officially larger than Komodo.

Edit: was also told this is not set in stone and could change before release.
    Last edited by Fahnon Bennett; 12-06-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    If it’s a Dragon sensor the pixel size would be the same. So 6k is 30,72 mm.
    Ah ok - I was going off just the reported sensor size on Red's site! Makes sense between what you and Scott mentioned, although the Gemini sensor size thing is still confusing to me - sensor size has nothing to do with Ks? My knowledge here is a bit :/

Ah ok - I was going off just the reported sensor size on Red's site! Makes sense between what you and Scott mentioned, although the Gemini sensor size thing is still confusing to me - sensor size has nothing to do with Ks? My knowledge here is a bit :/
    No worries man. Sensor size and resolution are definitely independent, which is why you can have an iPhone with a tiny sensor shooting 4K, and a 5D mk II with a huge sensor that only manages (barely) HD.

+1 Scarlet-W

Quote Originally Posted by Fahnon Bennett View Post
    I see both sides here. I’ve asked for clarification/verification of the size. It does make sense to me that if they’re opening up the Dragon sensor to full res that the area of the sensor being used would also increase. But not being an engineer I’m not sure how this works technically.

It’s after hours now, but hopefully I’ll get an answer back on Monday and will let everyone know what he says.

This is already known. Please see above.

www.imaginationx.com