Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: 6K Dragon-X DSMC2 Petition!

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    EPIC DRAGON --> DRAGON X upgrade path would be great please

2.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Hoareau View Post
    +1 to this! I'm in the exact same boat and would love to keep riding the RED train!!! Would be great to have a pathway from epic dragon to dragon-x (and financially lovable from Australia :D)!

Choo Choooooooo!!!!
    That sounds like a separate petition :)

The reality is though that it wouldn't be so far off in price to buying just a new Dragon-X.

As Phil said the older DSCM1 and old Scarlets had different internals, One of the greatest things we did for reliability and manufacturing efficiency ( and confusion ) was to make everything as similar as possible inside which eventually led to the unified DSMC2, which is why it is so cheap to upgrade from most DSMC2 cameras to a Dragon-X etc. because we can reuse the most expensive parts. Older Scarlets and Older Epics don't share those parts.

For a DSMC1 upgrade even just at cost you are looking around the $10,000 to upgrade to a Dragon-X which I'd be willing to consider for a very limited number of existing customers as a loyalty/reduser special-moment-in-time-thing but I expect people would be just better off Ebaying their cameras and buying new. Or maybe not... you guys tell me.

Things are getting messy on the upgrade option front.

Raven, Scarlet, Dragon, W, X...Y...Z... sensor types, sensor cuts, boards, cosmetics.

Some sort of visualization of current and considered paths would help to clear out confusion and enable considering all options more precisely.

Camers basis ( sensor/internals ) > upgrade option (sensor/internals/new features gained)

Hats off Jarred for flexibility...
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Depending on price +one for mg weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Kelly Brown View Post
    Depending on price +one for mg weapon.
    Already stated it’s $5000.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    For a DSMC1 upgrade even just at cost you are looking around the $10,000 to upgrade to a Dragon-X which I'd be willing to consider for a very limited number of existing customers as a loyalty/reduser special-moment-in-time-thing but I expect people would be just better off Ebaying their cameras and buying new. Or maybe not... you guys tell me.
    It's important to reiterate that everything RED is doing to simplify the lineup and bring consistency and clarity to it, are VERY important to do. Even if it means pain to the existing customers, of whom I'm one. Speaking for myself, I'd skip my epic-w board upgrade and my plans to buy the blackmagic 6K, and apply that budget to get my epic dragon into the dsmc 2 world. hopefully DSMC 3 doesn't end up making me regret this decision, as that's the real upgrade I want, but yeah, I'd go for this. ebay is certainly an option, and maybe I should check that out as the DSMC1 peripherals will otherwise be junked when I upgrade the camera, but am not very used to using ebay to buy/sell, and I prefer getting an upgrade thru RED even if it's a bit more money. Again, speaking just for myself.
    ---
    Nikhil Kamkolkar
    Writer/Filmmaker: http://www.IndianCowboy.com
    Latest action short film: "LAILA" https://youtu.be/wq0z8F-LJww

Senior Member Alexandros Tsoupras's Avatar
    +1 DSMC1 Epic Dragon
    EPIC-X DRAGON #02027 "Faith" Manfrotto Canon CN-E Primes Samyang Bright Tangerine Viv Tiffen Tilta Nucleus-m Teradek Bolt 600ft Bartech PLC Heden Letus35 Helix Mg Ready Rig Pro arms FSI Tvlogic Atomos Shogun Inferno Wooden Camera MSI

no no, I don't think we need to adjust the price... the 5k Dragon-X already have 6K sensors in them. We just need about a month of software work to get IPP2 working on 6k Dragons.

This wont work on Raven.. those sensors are hard 4.5k sensors. And some dragon sensors were software masked down to a smaller resolution that had defects down to a smaller resolution but that was mostly the VV dragons.

And this wont work on DSMC1 users on the list because remember the unified internal boards didn't happen until DSMC2.... But I think most of you have an upgrade path to Dragon-X so you can just do that to get you to this.

So.... the cleanest way to do this since our friend looks like he is gonna get his 50 signatures is to just turn the 5K Dragon-X into 6K Dragon-x and then let the Scarlet-W and MG folks do that normal $4995 upgrade to them.

A bit messy on our side.. some cameras will need more changes some less, but I think it will all balance out in the end and the upgrade fee Scarlet-W and MG users pay should cover the expense of doing this.. and Dragon-X owners just wake up with a better camera after hopefully just a new firmware... so I don't think we will need to charge any more for new Dragon-X 6K cameras.. the 5K Dragon-X just goes away, and Dragon-X owners are forever indebted to the MG and Scarlet-W guys and girls that initiated this change in the program.

The biggest problem with this is a cosmetic one. Scarlet-W and MG users that do this will get new bodies that will say Dragon-X 6k on them so they are ok.. but existing Dragon-X owners with 5K branded on their cameras that now shoot 6k will need to either live with that.. or we can figure out some sort of body upgrade fee to swap out that front panel if it bothers them. Kind of the worst panel to change because it requires a full camera rebuild just to change that, but still I don't see that being more than $500 or $600.

How does that sound?
    Jarred you really are an amazing person. This is going to make people happy.
    Tim Daust
    Reelmind Studios
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K S35 #6197 "Wicked"
    DSMC2 GEMINI 5K S35 #15175 "Jade"
    @TimDaust @ReelmindStudios

no no, I don't think we need to adjust the price... the 5k Dragon-X already have 6K sensors in them. We just need about a month of software work to get IPP2 working on 6k Dragons.

This wont work on Raven.. those sensors are hard 4.5k sensors. And some dragon sensors were software masked down to a smaller resolution that had defects down to a smaller resolution but that was mostly the VV dragons.

And this wont work on DSMC1 users on the list because remember the unified internal boards didn't happen until DSMC2.... But I think most of you have an upgrade path to Dragon-X so you can just do that to get you to this.

So.... the cleanest way to do this since our friend looks like he is gonna get his 50 signatures is to just turn the 5K Dragon-X into 6K Dragon-x and then let the Scarlet-W and MG folks do that normal $4995 upgrade to them.

A bit messy on our side.. some cameras will need more changes some less, but I think it will all balance out in the end and the upgrade fee Scarlet-W and MG users pay should cover the expense of doing this.. and Dragon-X owners just wake up with a better camera after hopefully just a new firmware... so I don't think we will need to charge any more for new Dragon-X 6K cameras.. the 5K Dragon-X just goes away, and Dragon-X owners are forever indebted to the MG and Scarlet-W guys and girls that initiated this change in the program.

The biggest problem with this is a cosmetic one. Scarlet-W and MG users that do this will get new bodies that will say Dragon-X 6k on them so they are ok.. but existing Dragon-X owners with 5K branded on their cameras that now shoot 6k will need to either live with that.. or we can figure out some sort of body upgrade fee to swap out that front panel if it bothers them. Kind of the worst panel to change because it requires a full camera rebuild just to change that, but still I don't see that being more than $500 or $600.

How does that sound?
    Oh my gawd you magnificent SOB! I may drive to LA just to give you a giant bear hug.
    Red Dragon-x "Big-Skippy"

www.imaginationx.com

+1 SW
    Scarlet-W #6080