Thread: New Kippertie SSD.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 New Kippertie SSD. 
    Would most likely be buying the Kippertie or a used redmag once I get back into shooting.

However, as some others pointed out the Kippertie is still upselling by drastic amounts what should be considerably cheaper.

Wondering if this has been addressed??

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jim View Post
    Damn. Late to the party. I still wonder about the lower price of mags future... After the jinnmag videos. Today someone was talking about how easily they replaced the hard drive in their red mag. I won't be doing that but surely it's ridiculous to continue with high prices. No I've never needed the recovery service but then I haven't with any hard drives for 25+ years knock on redwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    Damn. Late to the party. I still wonder about the lower price of mags future... After the jinnmag videos. Today someone was talking about how easily they replaced the hard drive in their red mag. I won't be doing that but surely it's ridiculous to continue with high prices. No I've never needed the recovery service but then I haven't with any hard drives for 25+ years knock on redwood.
    Please share who has successfully changed the drive in a MiniMag. Its not as easy as it sounds.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

I think the new Kippertie SSD's are brilliant, priced very reasonably, and I feel as secure using them as the Red brand. I plan to order a few with the USB ports. It is really short sighted to complain about the price of media.
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423

make the media more expensive or the camera, or the accessories, companies have to make money, ever watch shark tank where they talk about how much a product costs to make and what they are selling it for? Not confined to our industry
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    Please share who has successfully changed the drive in a MiniMag. Its not as easy as it sounds.
    I think it was in the Facebook thread on DSMC2 where someone was detailing their misquoted $2300+ repair for a drive that was never touched but sent in twice to red.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Wilganowski View Post
    make the media more expensive or the camera, or the accessories, companies have to make money, ever watch shark tank where they talk about how much a product costs to make and what they are selling it for? Not confined to our industry
    I was asking if this was addressed. Ill think you've seen all that went down lately. I understand red dropped the price and say they will raise the price on future cameras to punish us. I have spent more money and time in my life on red than anything else, unfortunately or fortunately. I was asking if this still high price was addressed. That's all. Kipper tie is great and as stated I'll have to buy something to get my camera shooting again. Perhaps red themselves will release smaller mags at reasonable prices per the disagreeable jinn man.

Somewhere between people thinking mags should be $300-$400 and getting media that's:
    - in a well designed slot that doesn't pop out (betcha that was tested a whole bunch)
    - within a rugged designed metal housing protecting your media (literally the most important thing on any shoot after safety)
    - Which I believe is machined aluminum in KipperTie's case.
    - thoroughly tested in operational conditions both in read/write lifespan as well as weather conditions
    - has hand assembled components including the thermal pads to keep the media from melting in the enclosure (the housing is the heat sink)
    - the core cost of the additional components outside of the base media
    - a manufacturer's warranty on top of the base media warranty
    - packaging, quality control, employee benefits, marketing, warehouse storage, various taxes, etc...
    - support for potential data recovery, creating/supporting data recovery tools (i.e. programmers and employees)
    - (I haven't received my order, but it sounds like they come in some sort of carrying case per mag or 4-pack)
    - predictable overages required for costumer support/product support/general product ecosystem

Is the price you are experiencing. In KipperTie's case that's $1,735.17 USD for a 2TB mag as whatever their business model is that allows for the wages for the employees and vendor costs as well as turning a profit per unit for expected units sold to make back the effort into producing them.

This is the same for RED too or any product really.

I purchased 2TB KT Longtakes because they suit my production needs, mainly for helicopter shoots. Didn't think I'd actually need more media anytime soon for that matter, but they solve a common problem for me: landing and changing mags. They are priced rather well IMO. And though 2TB NVMe Codex drive with a a slightly higher base media cost and different technology will run you about $7,000 USD, we sit here discussing this.

The biggest thing RED has done to address this is changing the media costs. Which apparently was a planned thing, though it happened significantly earlier than their years end pricing adjustments. Not to mention Komodo itself fitting into the price point and camera type to use non-proprietary CFAST 2.0 media, of which a good quality 1TB cards is about $1,100 USD.

The question is, how much do you think mags should actually cost considering the above? It costs money to keep the lights on and support an international business.

I'm not actually goading or coy here, but I am curious what people think is fair versus what they perceive it would require to make a profit worth making a product in the first place?

For a 2TB mag like KipperTie's is that $600, $800, $1200, $1600, or?

I make a few metal products and know the cost to produce that on smaller runs, in fact you can make a fairly educated guess on what all the components actually cost in there. Then it's the other costs I referenced above.

I don't like spending money as much as the next guy, but it's just getting weird at this point. I'm mostly genuinely curious what people think things should actually cost and if they could be realistically manufactured and supported at those prices particularly for companies based out the US, UK, EU, etc.....
    Last edited by Phil Holland; 11-07-2019 at 01:46 AM.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Angelbird makes SSDs in high grade aluminum: https://www.angelbird.com/prod/ssd-wrk-1506/

1TB SSD is 399 Euro.

That price already includes all of the little things such as: having employees, manufacturing, testing their design, maintaining a website, offering standard warranties and so on... while covering their 'costs of doing business'. Angelbird has also been around for a while, I don't think they are known for being cheap and they seem to have a sustainable business model.

From there, the discussion can center on differences in actual media costs (bulk) between 2.5" and NVMe and increased costs of making a mag fitted enclosure (let's be generous and say up to $10 per mag).

Let's not be babies and whine about RED's pricing: it's a known factor for those who buy into the eco system. But let's be equally clear that there is NOTHING about the current pricing that has any relevance to actual costs of manufacture/distribution.