Thread: New Kippertie SSD.

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    1200 sounds good.
    Why not $12?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Meyer View Post
    Why not $12?
    DJ I love your posts. He asked. If you cut down the Red mags and cut down this that's decent. I will end up buying a Kipper at whatever price it is, however possible, or see what pans out with Red in the coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    There is where the expectation versus the reality becomes rather at odds with each other. Though I don't think John should re-post his costs because it was a rather thorough breakdown, the price you are asking is below the cost of even making these. Meaning he would physically lose money on the product. That's not how staying in business works.

There's certainly ways to make things cheaper, which we've "seen", but that's not what's going on here.
    Reiterating this is a RED thing and Not Kippertie, though his costs interest me as KT is a bit of a smaller business than Red. I was asking if it had been addressed that we are still paying high prices with a new product chained to the red markup. Apparently it hasn't? It looks like a great product, and as stated I have spent hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of hours of my life reading talking up or using red since 2007.

Pricing is a tactical thing. If you go low you might end in a tight spot without room for further developments. If you go high you leave more room for competition to step in under your price range.

This is all Reds decisions to make ofcourse. But personally Im not sure if highly priced media and ”generous” camera trade in programs is allways the best way forward. Other players in the market simply only charge for their cameras when sold and run with liberated media. As the camera gear industry is getting more and more saturated, the number of options increase and that makes these kind of tactical decisions increasingly crucial. Interesing times no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Meyer View Post
    Why not $12?
    No need to play stupid. 12 bucks is less than the cost for the actual ssd. 1200USD leaves about 600USD for enclosure and connector.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Give it a rest. If your take away from those videos are that media should be whatever price he says it should be, you really need to re-evaluate the way you interpret information and who is providing it.
    Last edited by andrewhake; 11-08-2019 at 12:11 AM.

Its not really about any video. This kind of tactics is quite old. Descreet / Autodesk used to have the same tactics. They sold Inferno and flame together with thier stone&wire raid systems which used licenced HDD’s that came at a price like 10 times normal retail per disc. They did so until the competition (shake and nuke) had pretty much taken over their whole user base with their systems, using liberated storage.

Autodesk claimed that thier licensed disc systems was in place to guarantee their products great performance... But of course, later they had to reconsider and change tactics. But then they had already lost their dominance in their market. Today the Autodesk flame team are struggling.

Again not our decissions to make but yes I seen similar sale tactics before. Will be interesting to see what will be done to dsmc3 in terms of media.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    1200USD leaves about 600USD for enclosure and connector.
    How about the R&D cost?
    How about the margin for dealers and re-sellers?
    How about the cost of laying out $$ for long lead-time components that sit on the shelves while you wait for orders?
    Certifications?
    Support, marketing ....

There is a reason that MOST companies making quality electronic products use a 3X to 4X multiple on BOM as MSRP.

So ... if the BOM is $500 .... the MSRP is $1500 to $2000.

https://hackaday.com/2018/12/06/your...not-your-cogs/
    Mark L. Pederson

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    Give it a rest. If your take away from those videos are that media should be whatever price he says it should be, you really need to re-evaluate the way you interpret information and who is providing it.
    Someone on DSMC Facebook just replaced a broke red screen witha hundred dollar lcd.

I'll repeat I've been with red since BEFORE THE BEGINNING until now, have invested more in this company than anything in my life, FINANCIALLY, and quite A LOT time wise.

So yeah I have SOME INTEREST IN what the f is going on. I don't need or want data recovery services there is redundead it's always been enough.

As mentioned by others this will come to pass.

DSMC3?

Whoa are you again?

P.S. thanks Bjorn for the background information with Flame/Autodesk...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post
    How about the R&D cost?
    How about the margin for dealers and re-sellers?
    How about the cost of laying out $$ for long lead-time components that sit on the shelves while you wait for orders?
    Certifications?
    Support, marketing ....

There is a reason that MOST companies making quality electronic products use a 3X to 4X multiple on BOM as MSRP.

So ... if the BOM is $500 .... the MSRP is $1500 to $2000.

https://hackaday.com/2018/12/06/your...not-your-cogs/

Regarding BOM and COGS.

We're talking about an off the shelf SSD in a case at this point.

An SSD in a case. With a single adapter.