Thread: Blackmagic 6k vs Red

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The price to quality difference is pretty nuts, i haven't had a need to pick one up yet but i certainly would, so all complaints I hear always end with "but its only 2500" which is valid

and yes there is a 3rd party olpf which takes out the magenta and softens the fine detail, it's also being combined with a speed booster so full frame with OLPF
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    What about bringing them into ACES?
    Bjorn,

Sometimes I get better results grading from log and sometimes I get better results in Aces.

Blackmagic 4k sample file. Some of the frames don't match because I went in and out between Acescct and Davinci YRGB workflows so forgot to get a starting point image.

Original Log Davinci YRGB

Log Davinci YRGB manually graded

ACEScct ungraded

ACEScct graded

I did some tests when the BMPCC4K was out. Shortly, Epic/Scarlet MX have 5 1/3 stops above middle gray using IPP2, While BMPCC4K has something around 3 stops depending on ISO choice.

I did find more comfortable to work with base ISO 800, then ISO 400 in most of my shooting scenarios.

BMPCC4K, URSA Mini Pro 2 - both share the same color and sharpness. To my opinion, black magic footage is ugly-sharp. You can’t certainly tell where the focus is, it’s just sharp all-over. This thing totally ruins the feel of good lenses on URSA. On a projection screen both look like a home-video. The color has lot’s of issues, skin tones are always same yellowish tone. Testing base colors of an astera titan tube highlighting European face has shown that URSA was unable to show more than a half of base colors of astera applied to a human face. The clipping also occurred, while even on MX the colors were fine and totally distinguishable.

Also, to my disappointment URSA at 240 FPS was worse than Epic MX at 2k at 200 FPS. Both lack sharpness at this frame rate and show lots of compression

While URSA Mini Pro 2 was pretty-much the same in terms of dynamic range as Epic MX, BMPCC4K is 2,5 stops less. Bmpcc6k is about 1 stop cleaner in shadows than BMPCC4K and Scarlet MX at base iso (not low light).

That’s pretty much it. Good camera for run and gun, bad camera for production. Hanging wireless follow focus, teradek, monitor on it - actually makes the camera bigger than Epic MX, far less comfortable to work with handheld, has powering issues - too bulky with v-locks, ergonomics are totally bad using anything off the body.

I’ve always thought the color from BM cameras is a bit thin and feels like it is sitting on the surface of the image rather than emanating from it.
    Fine color discrimination is mediocre at best.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    I’ve always thought the color from BM cameras is a bit thin and feels like it is sitting on the surface of the image rather than emanating from it.
    What kind of HiFi cable support do you prefer? And do you know how long I'm supposed to keep the cables in the freezer for the atoms to adequately cool down and realign?

Here's an example where the "Blackmagic 4K film to Rec709" Lut did a much better job of reproducing the colors as seen by the BMPCC 4k than I did from scratch.

Original Log Braw 4k image

Manual grade

With "Blackmagic 4K film to Rec709" with further processing

Also as Alex Lubensky stated above, the Blackmagic footage can sometimes exhibit a greenish tint in some situations. The BMPCC6k footage below has a dominant green tint to it. It's almost like in some Red Helium footage. You would think that lighting tests would have been done before hand for a sample video of a new camera.

Original out of camera image

My attempt to correct it. The Reds in the Chairs in this image are Waaaaayyyyyy out of gamut but since I'm not getting paid to do this..... I left them like they were. HaHaHaHa

Last edited by rand thompson; 11-07-2019 at 05:49 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by AndreeMarkefors View Post
    What kind of HiFi cable support do you prefer? And do you know how long I'm supposed to keep the cables in the freezer for the atoms to adequately cool down and realign?
    Its not so much about keeping all the cables cool but have them untangled and no hard bends.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Unlike Red's IPP2 Luts with their various Highlight Roll-offs, Blackmagic Design has a pair of terrible Log to Rec709-ish Luts especially when it comes to Wide dynamic captured / over-exposed images like the sample BMPCC 6k image below. You sorta have to make up your own luminance curves.

Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6k image Original Log

Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6k image Original Log plus "Blackmagic Pocket 6K to Extended Video" Lut

Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6k image Original Log "Blackmagic Pocket 6K to Video" Lut

Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6k image Original Log Manual Grade and Custom Luminance Curve.

Last edited by rand thompson; 11-07-2019 at 08:31 PM. Reason: grammar again!

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Unlike Red's IPP2 Luts with their various Highlight Roll-offs, Blackmagic Design has a pair of terrible Log to Rec709-ish Luts especially when it comes to Wide dynamic captured / over-exposed images like the sample BMPCC 6k image below. You sorta have to make up your own luminance curves.

Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6k image Original Log

Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6k image Original Log plus "Blackmagic Pocket 6K to Extended Video" Lut

Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6k image Original Log "Blackmagic Pocket 6K to Video" Lut

Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6k image Original Log Manual Grade and Custom Luminance Curve.

The result would not improve if you dialed down on iso?
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro