Thread: What lens set to buy under $30k?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

i'm also a big SLR Magic APO Hyperprime Fan. Love my set and also found the sigmas to clinical.
    But looks like a lot of people like them. Maybe i have to give them a try again.

But is there any good footage on them? Like I find a lot of great stuff on the atlas orions, Leica-R's or zeiss supremes (also thanks to this forum). But on the slr magic APO's I have not seen anything great.

I think mechanically the SLR product I have seen so far have a long way to go. Poorly engineered and poorly assembled. Actually typical quality of an early Chinese product. I'm sure they will get better but IMO definitely not in the professional realm just yet. At least all the ones I have seen, and since they all were consistent I thing this is pretty much the case across the board...
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

In regards to purchasing new lenses, I would like to throw this one in due to curiosity.
    I have a chance to pick up a complete set of RED PRIMES/ZOOM but not cheap.
    When I say not cheap I mean between 8K and 16K.
    Long story on why this price varies.
    I am stuck in time with a Scarlet and possibly an EPIC-X.
    Am I talking stupid here?
    Should I just save my money and get something more recent?
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    In regards to purchasing new lenses, I would like to throw this one in due to curiosity.
    I have a chance to pick up a complete set of RED PRIMES/ZOOM but not cheap.
    When I say not cheap I mean between 8K and 16K.
    Long story on why this price varies.
    I am stuck in time with a Scarlet and possibly an EPIC-X.
    Am I talking stupid here?
    Should I just save my money and get something more recent?
    These lenses are big and heavy. OK for studio work but not ok for any non tripod work. Just figure out what your most common setups are and decide.
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    These lenses are big and heavy. OK for studio work but not ok for any non tripod work. Just figure out what your most common setups are and decide.
    Thanks Jacek. I actually worked with them since 2009 using a RED ONE MX (day job).
    It was quite the challenge for anything run n gun.
    One Zoom practically lived with the EZ-RIG setup.
    My experiences with lenses are the RED PROs and my old set of Rokinon Cine Primes.
    I do a ton of post work and never know what they use (never asked) on set so my experiences is lacking in the lens front.
    They are planning on getting rid of the lenses and I was thinking of taking it off their hands.

Now the question is, are they worth it.
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

What about the new brand Irix. They have the 150mm Macro and 11mm out and announced the 45mm 1.5. Are they anything worth waiting for a complete set to be released or not worth it my time of day and might as well buy set of Xeens at that price range?

Also if I go with Sigma set of 20,24,35,50,80 does any one have experience with the Irix 150mm Macro for when I need a macro shot? I Can't find any real world reviews on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Sutton-Hough View Post
    What about the new brand Irix. They have the 150mm Macro and 11mm out and announced the 45mm 1.5. Are they anything worth waiting for a complete set to be released or not worth it my time of day and might as well buy set of Xeens at that price range?

Also if I go with Sigma set of 20,24,35,50,80 does any one have experience with the Irix 150mm Macro for when I need a macro shot? I Can't find any real world reviews on it.
    You would do well to spend time and money renting a variety of lenses before making an all-in bet. This is not only to evaluate the specific qualities (and idiosyncrasies) of the lenses, but also of your own skills, limitations, and aspirations. Chasing the latest announcements is somewhat of a fool's errand because there will always be something new announced three months after you buy your latest lens (or lens set). What you need to learn is what are the qualities that really sing for your when you have them, what are the issues that make you angry when they turn up, and then purchase accordingly (if you can afford to do so). There are a lot of choices in terms of getting a lens set for less than $30K, especially if you want to emulate directors who shoot with only a single focal length. You've got solid opinions that are very representative of the larger reality of how a variety of lens sets--at a variety of price points--work for them. Your next step should be evaluating whether the most promising set (feature-wise, spec-wise, budget-wise, availability-wise) works well for you.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

I'm obviously a fan of the APO HyperPrimes (just a fan, not paid!). I think there are a few of us who have taken the time with them and fallen for their look. John Brawley as well being the highest profile perhaps.

They suffer from a marketing issue mostly. Confusion over the name and connection to other lines in SLR Magics range and also the fact that SLR Magic came from a 'toy lens' marketing angle many years ago. But they guys there do know their stuff and they're a boutique design company effectively.

The bigger APO HyperPrimes have smaller and cheaper siblings in the newly announced Micro APO range - these have the same optical formula (they say) but are lighter, EF mount and shorter focus throw. Do not confuse the APO with the other ranges though!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    I think mechanically the SLR product I have seen so far have a long way to go. Poorly engineered and poorly assembled. Actually typical quality of an early Chinese product. I'm sure they will get better but IMO definitely not in the professional realm just yet. At least all the ones I have seen, and since they all were consistent I thing this is pretty much the case across the board...
    I don't know whether you're talking the range as a whole or the APO HyperPrimes. Mine have been flawless and on remote FF so take a bit of abuse. But i don't rent and I do look after them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cage View Post
    But is there any good footage on them? Like I find a lot of great stuff on the atlas orions, Leica-R's or zeiss supremes (also thanks to this forum). But on the slr magic APO's I have not seen anything great.
    On our site there's some public stuff (and on that big thread too)

https://www.inventome.com/productions/one-track-mind
    https://www.inventome.com/productions/a-lost-place
    https://www.inventome.com/productions/thelibertines (some footage shot on them but this is mostly theatre)

And i have other frames on insta from them for other things and i ought to post more.

I've been through so many lenses, bought and sold and so on. Found these and have been happy for a few years now. I may even get the smaller ones for B cam. Having said that i've not owned Tokina (too heavy for me) or Sigma (i have some of their Art glass but personally find it a bit soulless). So there are many i haven't tried. But M mount, Leica, Xeens, Voigtlander, FD, Contax, Cooke, Lomo, Leica R etc,. been through em all.

cheers
    Paul
    -------------------
    insta: @paul.inventome