Thread: What lens set to buy under $30k?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    I would say sigma is a very good deal looking at price, popularity and size. But they are not as clean and good as the Tokinas so if size does not matter then yes, Tokinas is a great choice.

But both of those is quite available and something I can get in the rental houses. So for me its more interesting to get something more unique. Building a set with handpicked FD lenses which has taken a while, but is now slowly trickling out. Here is a pick of the 14mm with "k35" iris blades and it also will be opened up to give monstro full coverage, the original 14mm holds for 7k but this will do full monstro.

Then also 24mm SCC, 35mm SCC, 55mm SCC, 85 mm SCC, 135mm and a 180mm NIKKOR, might also add the 105mm Nikkor in there.

I think al together it will be about 45k USD. But then also over 2 years wait to have them done.

I think another good set is to make rehoused Nikkors. To me they look far better than lot of the more mordern lenses. And just like the FD´s they are very small.

https://flic.kr/p/2hFfGFc

[IMG]IMG_0069 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Haha I remember that textured paint from my stint at Century Optics twenty five years ago. Definitely vintage look packaging. TBH I never liked it, not my cup of tea aesthetically....
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

I'd go used ultra primes.

I see singles going on ebay for 7-8K if you are lucky. Beautiiful lenses that are built rock solid and will continue to work well into the future(65mm and up cover full frame). You could always send them to Duclos and have them stripped of coatings if you want something unique like Bradford Young's lens choice in Arrival . . .
    Weapon/ Ultra primes
    https://bh264.sqsp.com/

I've owned a set of Canon CN-E's for years and have always loved them(as well as my clients and other shooters). Sharp, clean, fast(20, 24, 35, 50 & 85, anyway), warm and make people look great. Their biggest downside is being native EF ONLY(the original CN-E's, not the new Sumire's). The Sigma "super speeds" are great and if I was buying from scratch today, I may have a case full of Sigma's instead of Canon's. Everyone I know that has the Sigma's loves them and the one's I've demo'd are top notch and intercut with the CN-E's. I've been wanting to add their 105 T1.5 for a while, but for me, the biggest drawback of the Sigma's is that they have 95mm front barrels(all of my Canon primes and 17-120 are 114mm).

Yeah have not seen anything great on the sigma lenses yet, ifyou got one, please share.
    I am in love with the look of the zeiss sumires though. Allthough a full set beneath 30k will not work. 2 lenses might :))

Shot on the Sigmas:

Top Gun: Maverick - Official Trailer (2020) - Paramount Pictures

Shots from inside the cockpit used stripped down Voigtländer still lenses:
    Cockpit cameras for Top Gun: Maverick

shot this commercial on Sigma

https://vimeo.com/365830942

This entire reel is Sigma cine primes or 18-35 zoom.
    https://vimeo.com/345373110
    ---------------------------
    Curtis Boggs
    www.cboggs.com

Cinematographer-DP-Colorist
    Epic-W 8k - G&E
    Sigma Cinema zoom set
    Leica-R Cine mod prime set

I have a set of the Tokina Vista Vision lenses and fly them all the time on my Movi. The weight is not a issue at all. These lenses look amazing on the Monstro, especially love the 18mm - stopped down to 1.5 they are all sharp, IMO these this is the best option.

The schneider xenons also have a great look to them imo.

SLR MAGIC Apo Cine Primes...and keep the rest of the money for a Atlas Orion set.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristian Mihai View Post
    SLR MAGIC Apo Cine Primes...and keep the rest of the money for a Atlas Orion set.
    How come no one mentions or talks about these lenses?