Thread: Can the latest MacBooks Pros playback 8k RED files in say 1/4 res?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    When the latest Macpro was announced Red did talk about new metal R3d optimisations? Has there been a u-turn on this or any more news?

Because if there was even a small improvement I could stay with maclaptops...

Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    You should try Clevo Europe computers. Find a dealer, because their website don't have the latest prices.

It will probably end up expensive as a maxed out Apple, but the built, specs and look are similar, better and acceptable.
    It has three downsides though which are size, battery lenght and noise, when using the full power of their labtop.
    Obviously, they have full size GPU in it (or 2), 4 drive bays, 4 slots of ram...

Also, their monitors blow away the Retinas. They have a matte and satin finish, it's really pleasing to look at. Especially outdoors.

It should playback 8k at 1/2 around 18-20fps in resolve, and 8k 1/4 at full speed easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Yes trashcan is possibly the worst. But pretty much any machine with a 1080ti plays back half debayer 8k no big needs for ram or CPU.
    I've been doing the assembly on this feature using FCPX on a D700 nMP and with patience, I am having a great time editing with 6K to 8K footies.
    Now, of course, this is all in some half-ass proxy mode (some parts are original) and really can't understand why I need to be seeing this in half debayer if I'm just editing.
    So much hate for these fast reliable trashcans ;)
    I never got to experience the gpu issues with the dozen I've had to pleasure of working on.
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    I've been doing the assembly on this feature using FCPX on a D700 nMP and with patience, I am having a great time editing with 6K to 8K footies.
    Now, of course, this is all in some half-ass proxy mode (some parts are original) and really can't understand why I need to be seeing this in half debayer if I'm just editing.
    So much hate for these fast reliable trashcans ;)
    I never got to experience the gpu issues with the dozen I've had to pleasure of working on.
    I been working in 4k since 1999. So far all speed improvements have been much welcome, the trashcans was not one of those. They where actually a step back and outpreforned by macpro towers with faster GPUs.
    When having a large 4k screen and a setup that rips trough 8k then anything less just feels very clunky. But sure its possible to do work on pretty much any computer I still edit and grade 8k straight from the mag on my 2011 macbook pro very often. Its not fast but a lot of times thats no issue.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Jumping in on this thread. I’ve been looking at the ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo UX581GV with i9 processor and RTX 2080 GPU. Anyone tested this one yet? I too am about to jump out of the Apple ecosystem...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lagerlof View Post
    Jumping in on this thread. I’ve been looking at the ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo UX581GV with i9 processor and RTX 2080 GPU. Anyone tested this one yet? I too am about to jump out of the Apple ecosystem...

Hiya Ron, I have not used the Asus, but the full 2080 GPU should be very fast. Problem with the laptop is almost always cooling, especially on the CPU. We used a MSI with a full 1080 GTX, they now have full 2080 GTX. We also had it modded from HID Evolution so it had better cooling and it never had problems with overheating no matter how hard we pushed it. Quite heavy beast though at 5.5kg.

Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon CN20x50 50-1000mm

Well, i just bought the 16" MBP with:

2.4 GHz 8 Core i9
    64 GB RAM
    AMD Radeon pro 5500M w/ 8gig Memory

If anything will play 8K at 1/4 res its this in a laptop.

Arrives in a week.
    Director Of Photography
    RED Weapon Helium - Gemini
    --Official Sigma Pro--
    www.TimurCivan.com
    Timurcivan@gmail.com

Strange. I'm cutting a feature shot on Helium and Gemini. No problems with 8K on my trash can in FCPX. Looks like it's doing a 1/4 or 1/8 debayer, which looks perfectly fine in my small edit window. RCX is a lot slower, but FCPX is smooth. Even with multiple layers of 8K r3ds and an adjustment layer over all. 2013 3GHZ 8-core w/ 64GB RAM.

The reason why 1/4 8k is important on a Laptop from my POV is that it is a mac laptop is our DIT tool and getting full HD quality is essential for on set checks. We used to drag a RRX around just to do this..

So ideally and roughly...
    8k will do 1/4
    I'd can accept 1/4 from 7k
    then 6k would hopefully be 1/2 but I supose 1/4 isn't too too bad..
    I'd want to see 1/2 rez 5k
    4k will def have to do 1/2 rez debayer
    and 3k and bellow should be full debayer

Now the big hope for us is that with new and coming metal suport for debayer a 16inch full specced Macbookpro tramsform all of this to be more PC/Nvidia like...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    The reason why 1/4 8k is important on a Laptop from my POV is that it is a mac laptop is our DIT tool and getting full HD quality is essential for on set checks. We used to drag a RRX around just to do this..

So ideally and roughly...
    8k will do 1/4
    I'd can accept 1/4 from 7k
    then 6k would hopefully be 1/2 but I supose 1/4 isn't too too bad..
    I'd want to see 1/2 rez 5k
    4k will def have to do 1/2 rez debayer
    and 3k and bellow should be full debayer

Now the big hope for us is that with new and coming metal suport for debayer a 16inch full specced Macbookpro tramsform all of this to be more PC/Nvidia like...
    Shouldn’t be a problem if the metal support is decent. Any of the recent higher end mobile Nvidia GPUs can do full debayer 8k no sweat.