Thread: Panasonic S1H test results - worth a quick look

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Panasonic S1H test results - worth a quick look 
    Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    12+ stops of DR for SNR=2.

Furthermore, the fact that the dual gain sensor shows very similar dynamic range results (in 4K DCI) at both ISO640 and ISO4000 settings is phenomenal. You can use the higher ISO without any impact on your final image.

However, where there is light you also find shadows: compared to the Panasonic S1, the rolling shutter in all modes is higher – in full frame depending on the fps setting around 13%, in Super 35 mode about 33%.
    https://www.l-rumors.com/panasonic-s...s-by-cinema5d/
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

12.7... almost the highest they’ve measured second only to Alexa (which nets 14 at SNR=2).

How is the autofocus?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    How is the autofocus?
    I'm glad you asked.

(11:19)

He did a few more S1H videos which are also worth watching.
    Pinterest

I think the only problem with this camera is purely the mount. It's the only problem, but it's a huge one for me: You have to adapt any electronic lenses you already own and lose the speed of the AF system. I'd rather wait for the 1DX-III which will take my Canon lenses natively and shoots RAW internally (and 10-bit 422 for the rare occasion I don't shoot RAW). If you also shoot stills, you probably get more value out of a mature Canon DSLR for that reason too.

For maybe the first time since the 5D-II, Canon has the DSLR I want the most. Ironically, the mount may be a feature for you if you plan to use PL lenses on it.

Curious to see what Sony will do with the A7S-III...

Quote Originally Posted by Fahnon Bennett View Post
    I think the only problem with this camera is purely the mount. It's the only problem, but it's a huge one for me: You have to adapt any electronic lenses you already own and lose the speed of the AF system. I'd rather wait for the 1DX-III which will take my Canon lenses natively and shoots RAW internally (and 10-bit 422 for the rare occasion I don't shoot RAW). If you also shoot stills, you probably get more value out of a mature Canon DSLR for that reason too.

For maybe the first time since the 5D-II, Canon has the DSLR I want the most. Ironically, the mount may be a feature for you if you plan to use PL lenses on it.

Curious to see what Sony will do with the A7S-III...
    Yeah, but we don't know what the crop factor will be when shooting video on the 1DX-3.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth C Merrill View Post
    Yeah, but we don't know what the crop factor will be when shooting video on the 1DX-3.
    True, but I have the 1DC (which I'll probably finally replace with the new Canon model), and if it stays the same APSH I personally would be happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahnon Bennett View Post
    I'd rather wait for the 1DX-III which will take my Canon lenses natively and shoots RAW internally (and 10-bit 422 for the rare occasion I don't shoot RAW). If you also shoot stills, you probably get more value out of a mature Canon DSLR for that reason too.
    I'd never use it - the specs are great but it's a dinosaur. (I've never liked Canon digital cameras, ever, BTW, so I am biased). Having said that, it will do very well for video customers, even if photographers skip it. The old A9 still beats it as a stills camera, by far.

The A7SIII may be delayed until next year. I have no idea what Sony has planned, but I have a feeling we will all be surprised. I'm good at guessing camera specs (sometimes) so I'm guessing 16Mpx, 4.2-4.6K, cinema DNG or ProRes, log modes, tone curve options for those who don't want to shoot log, more DR than any hybrid camera out there. No need for RAW.

Then there is Komodo, which I won't say much about here, as there's a whole thread about it. And it won't be released until next year either.
    Pinterest