Thread: Where to buy good quality SDI cables?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Where to buy good quality SDI cables? 
    I keep having issues with these alvins cables and other brands I buy off amazon. They don't last. Anyone can recommend a good brand and place to buy SDI cables.

The vast majority of mine are Canare cable with the “fat” Canare(or similar) connectors. I get mine from Markertek. Being such a large “supply house”, they usually have a pretty good selection in-stock and made-up, but they do custom, as well.

https://www.markertek.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    The vast majority of mine are Canare cable with the “fat” Canare(or similar) connectors. I get mine from Markertek. Being such a large “supply house”, they usually have a pretty good selection in-stock and made-up, but they do custom, as well.

https://www.markertek.com
    Markertek is the retail supply side of Tecnec.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Markertek is the retail supply side of Tecnec.
    Yes, they are the same company(kind of like Remote Audio is the cable business side of Trew Audio). Most of the pre-assembled cables come bagged under the Tecnec name.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason beaumont View Post
    I keep having issues with these alvins cables and other brands I buy off amazon. They don't last. Anyone can recommend a good brand and place to buy SDI cables.
    Just curious which devices you were using that fried your Alvins cables? I've had a handful of them go bad as well. I'm trying to sort out if they're getting fried from my wireless video transmitter/receivers, or also my monitors as well.

Don’t know since I’ve never used them, but i suspect cheap connectors are the cause. If there are any zinc alloys used in the connectors or center pins they will cause galvanic corrosion with the copper coax.
    Kings, Trompeter, and Canare have always been trouble free, sometimes for decades, in broadcast cable plant installations with premium cable. They usually get replaced for bandwidth upgrades as technology changes.
    Field cables sometimes mechanically fail if stressed, but that is a different issue.
    We are seeing most new cable plants include tactical fiber and IP network structured cabling.

I've always used Canare from B&H. No problems.

There’s a reason good cables are more expensive. While I own a few of Alvin's cables, they are definitely not using the best components. Cheap cables will fail way faster than good ones, that you will learn if you do this long enough.
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM