Thread: Kippertie Long Take 2TB Mini Mags *RED APPROVED*

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    I just got the minimag module for my epic. I be down for a group buy!!

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamil Stubbs View Post
    I just got the minimag module for my epic. I be down for a group buy!!
    Just FYI. The Longtake can NOT be used with DSMC1 cameras, only DSMC2 will be able to format and use the card.
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Totally forgot to post here after getting mine. I used it on a job that's in post now and it performed like a champ. I only own two cards: a 480GB minimag and this 2TB Kippertie mag. With only these two cards I can shoot all day (narrative; incremental backups of course). Great buy and I'll probably grab another in the spring.

PS - Write speed is faster in a BMD speedtest than the RED minimag (not surprising)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    OK we just received 4 x Longtake SSD mags...

1st brief impressions:

it is a brilliant idea for them to come in their own 4 mag capable mini Peli case that are the exact same size the Red ones. I LOVE THIS!! you can use Red and LT media side by side without finding a new home for the cards to live.. Our camera cases are cut with a space for this particular mini Peli case so a real bonus for us!

they feel very nice in hand and share the same premium workmanship you would expect from Red/Arri etc... They are full of little thoughtful design touches..! The bright coloured part being only on one side and facing inward for example..

they run a little cooler than Red mags. I have no idea if that actually matters but if feels reassuring.

I initially thrashed them in a Monstro for about 1/2-1 hour each (max everything) and they perfomed perfectly but then I ran a fake test with a workstation dumping 1.5 TB of R3d data onto them and the mag never dipped under 400MB/s..

The shape does feel slightly odd against the Red mags we are used to but we couldn't realy find a proper concrete negative...

We would never ever buy 3rd party media without Red approval and even then I feel we only took the leap becuase John is such a stickler for the impotant but sometimes boring details ;-)

Will report back after some serious TBs of shooting....

Next thing is we need to work out a slightly new labeling system due to the shape... but that shouldn't be hard

Over all very positive... !
    Good feedback... Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Mine Longtakes just came in. Really nice build and testing them thoroughly this evening for the next helicopter location.

If you're somebody who uses "just" the battery module and has super wide bricks or only useful shark fins, you might have some clearance issues. I have most named bricks here and not having any issues sliding the mag out or anything.

Looks cool!

I was initially pretty content with the idea of a few 480gb mags, but these 2TB open up some options for low compression doc work. Was glad the timing worked out. Kippertie people seem pretty great.

EDIT: LT Mags just arrived. Looking forward to putting them to work!
    Last edited by James Sielaff; 12-19-2019 at 11:52 PM.

Kippertie LT mags ended up looking great on the Ranger Gemini. 5:1 compression means 5hrs record time! Might need bigger batteries.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by James Sielaff; 12-20-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Just got our Kippertie card with USB-C.

Quick review:
    One thing that has cause problems with us with normal Red media is that if we do a lot of prerecord we could get write errors that would turn off the camera. For this reason I stress tested the Kippertie at home and did 600 pre recordings in a row with 600 recordings each. That would be equivalent to what we would film in 4 days.
    Not a single problem to be found so that is a positive indication!

Here are some read/write stats
    Blackmagic Speed Test. Kippertie Apple USB-C 450MB/s Write 477MB/s Read. This is really fast and will definetly reduce copy times for us.
    Hedge copy to 1 internal disk. 500MB/S. So backup to Apples internal disk. Even faster than the Blackmagic Benchmark

Kippertie on PC with their own cable 400MB/s read Write 400MB/s. CrystalDiskMark Seq. This surprised me since it was a bit lower. I did a copy with explorer to an NVME drive and the speed was changing between 300 and up to 360MB/s.
    I would think that this is either a problem with USB connection, USB driver or similar, since the drive should be able to handle being faster. I will try with the Red SSD reader tomorro and maybe another computer. To be fair I only care about offloading to laptops.

Size. The size does not feel like a problem. A minor issue was that we just got the Bebob Dual Hot swap batteries where they sit sideways. Then I could no longer take out the card with both batteries in. However this is easily solvable by taking out the bottom battery while powering the cam from the top driver so a minor issue.

Looks very promising, but honestly I was not expecting anything less. This is the second product from Kippertie that greatly improves our quality of life when filming with Red. The Revolva filter is also incredibly useful.
    Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Andreas,

If you are in the mood for testing how much longer does it take to mount the Kippertie 2TB drive compared to the Red 480gig drives? Also I assume the boot time for the camera will increase with a 2TB SSD mounted? Can you quantify this and share? Thankyou
    Tom Gleeson

Hi Tom,
    Mounting:
    Kippertie 22s. Fat 32
    Red 1TB 3s. The other format, not fat32 so maybe times are different.
    Red 480GB 2s

Boot
    Kippertie 45s. Fat 32
    Red 1TB 35s
    Red 480GB 32s

So 10s longer boot time and 20 sec longer for mounting.
    Cheers,
    Andreas
    Last edited by AndreasOberg; 02-25-2020 at 12:20 PM.
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    So 10s longer boot time and 20 sec longer for mounting.
    Andreas,

Thankyou for taking the time to test and share. 10s longer boot is not too painful nor is the 20s mounting time. For my work at least at 2TB I would be doing very few if any mag changes.
    Tom Gleeson