Thread: Kippertie Long Take 2TB Mini Mags *RED APPROVED*

Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Sounds cool with the new mags. How much do they stick out of the camera? I once had a 1TB mag fall out when I was carrying so would be nice to know how to extra length work out.
    Seems like a brilliant concept.
    When can we expect the USB-C versions?
    Will they be any faster than using the red reader or is it the same?

Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon CN20x50 50-1000mm

The mag is 25mm longer, but narrower of course. We've no yet found any fitment or clearance issues.

USB-C is due late in December. Speed approx. the same as Red's reader.
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Gemini 5K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our Revolva ND solution, OLPFs and other products

Quote Originally Posted by John Marchant View Post
    The mag is 25mm longer, but narrower of course. We've no yet found any fitment or clearance issues.

USB-C is due late in December. Speed approx. the same as Red's reader.
    Good to hear John. Thanks for doing all these cool things. The Revolva Filter has been a true life saver!
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon CN20x50 50-1000mm

Why am I just now hearing about these? Been asking for 2tb for years. Red should have mentioned it in one of their email blast if this "approved".

Now I'm even more pissed I spent $4k on each 1tb Mini Mag when they first came out......of course I was under the false assumption they were actually 1tb and "Made in America".

My only concern now is I've heard Red is going to release a new side module that will take the new media that the DSMC3 will use. Like how they released Mini Mags for the DSMC1 just before the DSMC2 came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington Chase View Post
    Why am I just now hearing about these? Been asking for 2tb for years. Red should have mentioned it in one of their email blast if this "approved".

Now I'm even more pissed I spent $4k on each 1tb Mini Mag when they first came ou.
    1TB minimags came out 6 years ago.

Now I'm even more pissed I spent $4k on each 1tb Mini Mag when they first came out......of course I was under the false assumption they were actually 1tb and "Made in America".

My only concern now is I've heard Red is going to release a new side module that will take the new media that the DSMC3 will use. Like how they released Mini Mags for the DSMC1 just before the DSMC2 came out.
    This seems technologically unlikely to me. The camera’s connection to the side ssd module is SATA. Next generation storage when it comes is bound to be NVMe/PCI based. It’s technologically viable for red to make current mags work in a potential PCI based future recording module for DSMC3, as there’s physical and electronic space for this. DSMC2 will remain SATA bases unless the entire architecture of the camera body is reworked.
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Gemini 5K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our Revolva ND solution, OLPFs and other products

the false assumption they were actually 1tb and "Made in America".
    They are 1TB and are Made in America. The only reason you think that isn't true is because you are easily manipulated.

Mine Longtakes just came in. Really nice build and testing them thoroughly this evening for the next helicopter location.

If you're somebody who uses "just" the battery module and has super wide bricks or only useful shark fins, you might have some clearance issues. I have most named bricks here and not having any issues sliding the mag out or anything.

Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Hmmm... I got emails about it. It was shouted out on various social media outlets and such. They've only been available to order for like 10 days or 2 weeks or something now. I don't think the modules with the integrated USB-C port are shipping just yet.

While some of the internal components may not be made in America, the modules are assembled in the USA. The 1TB mags came out in like 2013 along with DSMC2/ Dragon. They were all in black casings initially. Later down the road, the mags were changed to red casings to denote they were faster media, but it lead to some confusion since the 512 and 1TB mags were always full speed to begin with, so it never mattered if they were black or red. ...Oh and RED offered a trade-in for DSMC1 / EPIC SSD media to the Mini-Mags.

I suppose it's technically possible on some level, but I kinda doubt it. Don't trust any hearsay like that... RED is quite good about keeping new stuff under wraps and I think we'd get a pretty good heads-up if something like that were going to happen. I don't expect any hints about DSMC3 for a good while yet. I think Komodo is a small glimpse into some of the future tech. But I'd be surprised if we see DSMC3 anytime in the next year. RED just moved all of DSMC2 over to the unified internals having all brains use the same guts they put in the Monstro VV cameras. So it becomes the same brain with the option of using several different sensors.

IMO, I think DSMC3 will give us enhanced internal processing and more efficiency so can do a lot more with less power. Newer media, not restricted by SATA. And I foresee the ability to field-swap sensor modules. The time and expense of shipping a camera to RED, having it undergo evaluation, then a sensor swap (for a sensor we already own) and then shipped back, is a real hinderance to the whole concept.

...And now I have successfully derailed this thread. Sorry.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Group Buy?