Thread: Best settings for Film Emulation LUTs

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Best settings for Film Emulation LUTs 
    I'd like to use some film emulation LUTs and I'm wondering what the best settngs in Resolve are for these to work with R3D clips?

Mark,

It depends on what .R3D workflow you use. If you use a "LEGACY" workflow , make sure you use Film Emulation Luts that are compatible with one of the Legacy Colorspace and Gamma Curves ex..DRAGONcolor2 and REDgamma4.

If it's the IPP2 Pipeline, If they weren't designed to work the REDWideGamutRGB/Log3G10 Colorspace and Gamma Curve like say for example Phil Holland's "philmColor" Luts or Hrvoje Simic's "Primers" Luts, you're not going to get the Film Emulation look you are expecting.

And be sure to use a "Tetrahedral" 3D lookup interpolation for the best results.
    Last edited by rand thompson; 10-17-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Hey Rand,

Thank you for the reply. I'm looking for workflow suggestions in Resolve using footage from a Helium sensor.

The LUT that I'd like to use is the Film Looks Rec709 Kodak 2383 D65, which needs a log colour space. I've had good results with the Camera Raw set to:

Colour Science > IPP2
    Color Space > Rec 709
    Gamma Curve > Log3G10

This was with the film emulation LUT Rec709 Kodak 2383 placed in the last node.

Is there a better way to do this?

Mark,

If you going to use an IPP2 workflow, you should really use REDwidegamutRGB for Colorspace to get the best results.

I tell you what, could you give me an example of what the Lut looks like in a non IPP2 workflow. Like for example, the Lut applied to a REC709/Gamma 2.4 image. And if you don't mind , the Lut you are wanting to use and a .R3d frame from Redcine-X?

The LUT on this is the Film Looks Rec709 Kodak 2383 D65. I don't use Redcine-X I'm sorry.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w124vty4cv...lmLUT.JPG?dl=0
    Last edited by Mark Bramley; 10-17-2019 at 08:00 PM.

Mark,

Thanks! Let me see what I can do to make it work better with an IPP2 workflow.

rand

Mark,

I'm sorry, I meant the actual Kodak Lut you used. If you don't want to make it public, You can PM it to me and I will PM it back to you in what I believe will be a more compatible format with an IPP2 workflow.

Pretty sure that film print emulation LUT is expecting a cineon log curve (or RedLogFilm, same thing), so feeding Log3g10 into it is not ideal.

Thanks Aaron, it definitely looks better feeding it with RedLogFilm. I can bring the ISO way down as well.

Note that LUTs tend to be fairly destructive, and you may be able to match the look without unnecessarily crushing or clipping the image with a film-emulation LUT. There are some who do a node before the LUT and a node after the LUT to compensate for that, but to me it's wiser just to figure out what the LUT is doing and then match it manually if possible.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer