Thread: HELP! Conflict Zone Filming

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 HELP! Conflict Zone Filming 
    I'm contemplating in going to film into a conflict war zone in the Middle East, and I need some help to sort out some stuff.

In my experience with RED Built in Microphone its not functional more than scratch audio.

Im planning in taking an external recorder but I need one that is really small, can fit in a backpack, battery mode, does have Timecode and is there anything I can always have it sync with the RED when I record?

I was thinking something like this:

Zoom F6

Zoom H6

Recommendations on how to Timecode sync wireless or start / stop record when the camera triggers?

Any recommendations on microphone also appreciated. I have a Rhode NTG3 but might be a bit too much.

Recommendations for filming in a crazy environment like this. I have signature primes for the monstro and I do want to film this with the highest quality possible, but I'm open to small zoom lenses if you recommend anything.

Thanks
    Instagram: @rv12
    Vimeo: @rv12

Absolutely the wrong camera for this. Not saying it couldn't be done, but I would take something smaller, something with a smaller chip, something with better battery life, zoom lenses. Honestly, I'd build a Z cam rig just for this. With a viewfinder. Trying to see a monitor in the sun in the mideast is futile. If you don't have a sound guy, I would record sound on camera. If you have a sound guy just put a tentacle sync on the camera and be done with it.

One of the things a smaller chip will do for you is give your longer lenses a little more reach. Something like a 70-200 has some real reach on a smaller chip.

Nick

Steve Sherrick

Some insights from Restrepo filmmakers

https://www.moviemaker.com/archives/...nger-20101203/

Combat zones are no joke and really safety is way more important than image quality.
    Steve Sherrick

The onboard sound is a good b track record it and add a sound recorder.
    Sync dailies on date folders and no tc is needed.

A smaller chip makes lenses longer, true. B it also makes them less wide. So more important to find a lens that suits the sensor size. I would try to get a couple of zooms that are eazy to swap. And run with screw on nds and not be afraid of short shutter war looks better in short shutter.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Rodrigo Violante View Post
    I'm contemplating in going to film into a conflict war zone in the Middle East, and I need some help to sort out some stuff.

In my experience with RED Built in Microphone its not functional more than scratch audio.

Im planning in taking an external recorder but I need one that is really small, can fit in a backpack, battery mode, does have Timecode and is there anything I can always have it sync with the RED when I record?

I was thinking something like this:

Zoom F6

Zoom H6

Recommendations on how to Timecode sync wireless or start / stop record when the camera triggers?

Any recommendations on microphone also appreciated. I have a Rhode NTG3 but might be a bit too much.

Recommendations for filming in a crazy environment like this. I have signature primes for the monstro and I do want to film this with the highest quality possible, but I'm open to small zoom lenses if you recommend anything.

Thanks

The new Mix Pre MKIIs all have timecode. Maybe the Mix Pre 3 MKII? Its very small, and much better pre-amps than a Zoom.

Use a betso or tentacle to jam timecode to camera.

Use a timeless mic like a Sennheiser 416 that is great in all conditions - and what sound guys rely on rugged doc shoots. Bring two like they do (one for backup).

Best of luck
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

I think you Rhode mic is perfect. Put it on a C100 mkII and you are good to go. Bring these lenses: Canon 17-55 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 50-100 f/1.8. Bring 6 batteries and (2) 64GB SD card per day filming. All of this fits in one backpack. No need for external recorders or TC...audio sounds great straight to camera. Both the Canon lenses have wonderful stabilizers. That was our exact kit for filming this Netflix Series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCQ9y6ivpdQ. We used Red for interviews and B-roll, but the Canons did the documentary work. Maybe bring both???

BUT, if you are dead set on using just the Red Monstro, then Nick's advice is spot on. Sound Devices Mix Pre 3 mkII is what you want. Your Rhode mic would also be a solid option if you can't afford the Sennheiser 416. This may sound crazy, but I'd definitely bring a trusty Canon 24-105 f/4 with me if you have an EF mount on that Monstro. Its worth it for the stabilizer alone, but its also the perfect lens range for Doc work. The 70-200 f/2.8 would be next on my list. Maybe a monopod? Good luck!!!
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

Yeah, that's a forklift tattoo. I wasn't always a cinematographer :)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post

Combat zones are no joke and really safety is way more important than image quality.
    Thats a pretty good article. Thanks for sharing.
    Instagram: @rv12
    Vimeo: @rv12

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post

Yes, considering the fact that filmmaker Tim Hetherington was killed in a combat zone shortly after shooting Restrepo.