Thread: IPP2 color settings in Davinci - having some challenges

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Curious

Rand, your input is Gamma 2.4 and Timeline is RGW/LogG10. For me it would be the other way around.

If you have your timeline set to LogG10 then you're grading a log signal and half the qualifiers and so on don't work very well. So switching to Gamma 2.4 on the timeline makes for a better grading experience.

(EDIT: To expand on this. My observation is pulling secondaries when set to timeline of RWG is very difficult compared to 2.4 so i assume that timeline is actually the data format the tools operate on whereas initially i thought that the tools would work on a 32 bit float based image - but in actual use i get different results with different timelines. In fact you can set the timeline to linear in which case the grading tools have an odd time there as well. So IMHO i believe the tools are expecting to work on a gamma image - this is very different from my Nuke experiences and confused the hell out of me for a while)

So i would have Input RWG/LogG10, Timeline Gamma 2.4, Output 2.4 and the IPP2 mapping set to whatever.

So in the above there's no need for an IPP2 lut on the chain at the end.

Also if i am including non Red footage on timeline then i set the interpret footage correctly and bring it into the same pipeline (with the IPP2 mapping) which i think works well. My Red footage can be R3D or 444 ProRes files with vfx work but still in RWG/LogG10.

If i want to apply a LUT which operates in RWG/LogG10 (like Phils LUTS) then in that one node you can set the colourspace specifically and that works great.

So not sure why timeline suggestion is LogG10, i could be missing something though?

cheers
    Paul
    -------------------
    insta: @paul.inventome

Paul, I agree with your findings. My summary for the best workflow:

1. Use Pre-clip groups to sort WB, ISO, then feed to optional Creative LUT (such as philmColor). Finalize image with IPP2 conversion (Omeno Primers, RED IPP2 LUTS, or roll your own Log->Gamma conversion with Primaries and Curves).

2a. Grade in REC 709 / Scene-referred data. Resolve's floating point data does not clip, neither in signal intensity nor gamut, so Rec709 is not a box from which you cannot escape. Rather, it's where all the tools work as they are described, with no math errors. OTOH, you might like your tools to contain some extra wiggles--S curves for contrast, lift functions that have extra oomph or are extra gentle at the bottom end, etc., etc. In those cases, working with a gamma curve that's not purely scene-referred will affect the math of the primary wheels in the way that you like. But if you want them to function as stipulated, go with Scene-referred.

2b. There is some noise that Log wheels (not the Lift/Gamma/Gain wheels) are useful for creatively grading Log Footage. I don't know. But I do know that qualifiers work like shit in Log space, so as Paul says, if you are trying to do any secondary grading, do yourself a favor and work in Rec 709 Scene-referred space.

3. Use Post-clip groups (or Resolve Color Management) to transform your outputs from REC 709 Scene-referred to whatever your output may be: Linear for VFX, sRGB for YouTube, Rec 2020 HLG for future streaming platforms when they get their collective acts together, etc.

BTW, I have several times proposed on the Davinci Feedback form, as well as in postings to the Resolve Feature Request threads, that the Qualifier Tool be tuned to be color-space aware. But that has not happened yet. So unless you like having your secondaries picking ranges that are orders of magnitude larger than common sense would allow, use Rec 709 with the confidence that your picks will mostly translate to larger and more exciting color spaces. They certainly translate much, much better than trying to work in those larger color spaces with tools that do not work very well at all in those color spaces.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Hi Rand!

Thank you very much for this information. I appreciate it! a few questions, I hope you don't mind?

1. Why are you starting with redcine-x? Are you doing this adjust the raw before going to resolve. Or to show me that the footage can look the same on both platforms?

2. Why use the transform LUT on the last node, and not the first?

3. Where can I download rec 709 luts, the ones you are using? The ones i have are old or for rec 2020.

4. I read allot about, "treat it like film" what do you mean by that as a colorist?

massive thanks!!!

Chris,

1) Just to show that the results should look the same among the different workflows with the same settings.

2)Others can probably explain this better I can, But once you use the IPP2 Output transform on the first node, every node after that one will be confined to the Rec709 Colorspace and all of your color corrections will be confined to the Rec709 Colorspace. The beauty of RWG/LOG3G10 is that the nodes you work in up until you apply an IPP2 Output Transform will give correction possibilities from a Log Raw format that Red feels gives you access to all that a .R3d file can offer from it's respective Red Sensor. When you finally apply the IPP2 Output Transform to the Last Node of your correction/grading Node Tree, the Lut will transform your grade into the respective Colorspace from what I believe Red believes is the most optimal way from RWG/LOG3G10.

Think of it this way, A baseball outfielder's job is to make sure that the opposing team's batter never hits a ball into what is considered "Homerun" territory. The IPP2 Output Transform Lut's job is to make sure that all the colors.etc.. of your grade stays within the Colorspace that it will be transformed into. Plus, with better Highlight retention/Roll-Off and color transformation from RWG/LOG3G10 than a convention REC709 conversion would.

That 's how I would explain it, as I stated earlier the more technically astute on this forum can probably do a much better job of explaining this than I can

3)These were sent to me from someone that Graeme Nattress Sent to him

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7meziyar4...OSPuTx_Oa?dl=0

4I'm not a Colorist but I've heard that but don't really know how you mean it here. But if you mean building an image manually bit by bit developing it with the right exposure, making sure that first colors are reasonability accurate before further processing is done. Next that you try to give it a look that best tells the story you are trying to tell. Then, making sure the your output image matches in quality to the original input image, then yeah I guess that would apply here.

Rand

Chris,

You can also make your own IPP2 Output Transform Luts from within Redcine-X.

In REDCINE-X, check out File->IPP2 LUT Creator, in case you ever lose the handle on the Dropbox full of LUTs.

As for "all that an R3D file can offer"...that might be a nice thing in some more advanced color grading software. But if you are in the Resolve world and you need to do secondary color corrections, RWGRGB and Log3G10 are really not your friends, at least not how Resolve's Qualifiers currently work.

Thank you Rand, Paul and Micheal! So much great information. :)
    Last edited by chris ware; 10-10-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chris ware View Post
    Thank you Rand!!!

Michael, how do you set up resolve before making secondary corrections?
    Right now I deliver only to YouTube, so I use regular Davinci YRGB with the color space and gamma set to REC 709. I monitor on a Flanders Scientific DM240 set to Rec 709 / Gamma 2.2 (which, according to my recent tests, gives better fidelity than Rec 709 / Gamma 2.4. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6BrcH8n7gw

In the not-too-distant future I will aim to do more stuff with HDR, which will require a new monitor. To handle SDR/HDR, I will probably use Davinci Color Management, with input set to Bypass, Timeline set to Rec 2020 (Scene), and output set to whatever my output needs to be. As I said earlier in this thread, I use Group Pre-Clips to do WB and ISO adjustments and to apply the LUTS that will bring me into my Timeline space. I then do my main grading using nodes applied to the Clip. I haven't yet found a great use for Group Post-Clip nodes, but I'm sure I will once I do more HDR work.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    In REDCINE-X, check out File->IPP2 LUT Creator, in case you ever lose the handle on the Dropbox full of LUTs.

As for "all that an R3D file can offer"...that might be a nice thing in some more advanced color grading software. But if you are in the Resolve world and you need to do secondary color corrections, RWGRGB and Log3G10 are really not your friends, at least not how Resolve's Qualifiers currently work.

Micheal,

Qualifiers work fine as long as you only use the "3D" qualifier.

Extreme Example

Last edited by rand thompson; 10-15-2019 at 10:17 PM.

Anyone clever know how to setup for the fusion output (via output card) not to be wrong when working in a Resolve colour managed space with red IPP2 setup?