Thread: Switch on of all denoise nodes at once?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Switch on of all denoise nodes at once? 
    It would be convenient to be able to switch off all denoisers in a timeline to keep the playback as smooth as possible. I have not found any place to do this, but It would be a good feature (as long as it is prompts that they are disabled when you try to export).

The only option is to switch back to another grade on all clips on timeline in one go. I like to set version 1 original and version 2 graded. So there I could toggle between orginal and grade before playback. But it does not work if you have more versions on any clip...
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

No, there's no way to do this. There are workarounds: for example, use a Fixed Node Structure and use NR only in one specific node, then bypass that one node during the session and turn it back on for renders. I'm on a feature right now where we're noise-reducing the entire thing (for certain creative reasons), and I'm running at speed with no problem, but we do have to cache it when I crank up the NR. At a nominal setting, there's no speed hit.

I tend to change NR settings on a shot-by-shot and scene-by-scene basis, and I'll try to use NR only for certain parts of the picture when necessary. There's a number of philosophies you can use, but color correction does change the noise characteristics of the shot, particularly in under-exposure/high gain situations.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

What app? Resolve?
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

YES, Davinci

As for most shoots they will be more or less "grain free", but a very suttle clean up can help when exporting it to other formats. For most shots there are hardly any grain, and I could use the same settings on a adjustment layer. But Im to a fan of shot by shot optimization.

So a feature to turn it off an on for a full timeline would be great.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Try putting the noise reduction nodes on adjustment clips, on a separate video track and then just disable the whole track while editing and watching playback. Then enable the track right before exporting.

I have been doing that a lot lately and I find that I get way less 4K export GPU errors this way.
    Before Resolve added adjustment clips, I used to have to export 6K R3D to 4K DNxHR by first exporting the edit/grade to DNxHR 444 without noise reduction, then adding noise reduction to that file, then exporting DNxHR SQ. Now I can stay in an R3D timeline and add all noise reduction to adjustment clips and my GPU (1x GTX 770 4GB) won't have errors as often.
    Last edited by Akin A; 10-09-2019 at 02:05 PM. Reason: typo
    Filmmaker, Actor
    Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube
    Epic-X Dragon #08468 | Sigma Art 35/1.4, 50/1.4, Rokinon 85/1.4

Above is what I do in flame. Adjustment layer with neat video obx with a few different setttings. Then ontop of that a regrain layer.

While I work I can fiddle around underneath it all and then before export enable the tracks.
    Björn Benckert

The downside of having an adjustment layer over the source layer is the "clutter" of one extra layer in the timeline. It would be cool if you could somehow collapse down or hide a layer in the timeline. Or if you could have one special node that in Davinci that you could add whatever effects to in a clip but it was connected to a global active/deactivate button. But, yes. The adjustment layer works pretty good. I just wish I did not have to see the adjustment layer in the timeline until I activate it.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Have not tried this and dont know how davinchi would react. What if you move your neat video install so so davinchi does not find it. Would the neat video node not go transparant then or what happens if the plugin is missing.

Sure not the nicest solution but possible work around, just rename the neat folder in finder and all noise processing is cancled....
    Björn Benckert

Joel, do you use Color Cache Render on the timeline clips? Once I figured out how to render caches in the background my life has never been the same.
    Aaron Green - Chicago, IL
    DRAGON X
    www.instagram.com/aaronkgreen

If you use the same NR settings on all clips, you could theoretically put it on a shared node for the entire project, then disable the node. But that's not an elegant solution because it doesn't let you do NR on a clip-to-clip basis.