Thread: FCPX Fall Update

Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1 FCPX Fall Update 
    Senior Member Eric Santiago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,091
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto & Vancouver
    Posts
    3,732
    Curious to know if those Metal updates will have the same performance improvements on nVidia-based MBPs (not that FCPX ever used cuda, but still...)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Eric Santiago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Curious to know if those Metal updates will have the same performance improvements on nVidia-based MBPs (not that FCPX ever used cuda, but still...)
    I have the last NVIDIA MBP and never did notice any advantages to FCPX.
    But then I find FCPX on any Mac to be more stable than other NLEs.
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto & Vancouver
    Posts
    3,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    I have the last NVIDIA MBP and never did notice any advantages to FCPX.
    But then I find FCPX on any Mac to be more stable than other NLEs.
    Every update I send a feature request for them to implement a selectable "performance playback" drop down (e.g. 1/2, 1/4, 1/8th, etc)... It's been over 7 years since FCPX launched and still nothing ...but yeah, it's definitely the fastest to edit with.

    That being said, I much prefer the way Resolve does it, where it's the same timeline regardless of the "page" you're on... Like the whole Editing>Graphics>Sound Finishing>Picture Finishing>Export just makes sense and is very straightforward (just wish it was faster on the editing side, though I've yet to use the R16 "Cut" page)... I also find it cumbersome/needlessly difficult to move projects around and/or back them up.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member andrewhake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    525
    10.4.7 is amazing on my 18 core iMac Pro, I'm curious how it is for people on different systems. I just recently shot some stuff on my GH5S 4k 400Mb and my Gemini in full 5K. The previous version was struggling a bit to playback the 400Mb GH5S stuff without creating optimized media for some reason. Now it eats right through it. The Gemini 5K footage was already pretty easy to deal with on this machine already but now it just obliterates it.

    It won't quite deal with full frame 8k stuff in Best Quality mode without rendering but it is super easy to edit 8k stuff in Better Performance mode and when I want full quality full res playback and super smooth scrubbing I can grab a drink and let background rendering do it's thing and it will playback 8k prores 4444 like it's butter. The actual render time is improved significantly as well.

    I also would have liked an option to select a variety of resolutions a couple of years ago, but I have never come across something I can't easily playback in Better Performance mode, let bg render do it's thing, and then playback at full quality when needed.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    604
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    10.4.7 is amazing on my 18 core iMac Pro, I'm curious how it is for people on different systems. I just recently shot some stuff on my GH5S 4k 400Mb and my Gemini in full 5K. The previous version was struggling a bit to playback the 400Mb GH5S stuff without creating optimized media for some reason. Now it eats right through it. The Gemini 5K footage was already pretty easy to deal with on this machine already but now it just obliterates it.

    It won't quite deal with full frame 8k stuff in Best Quality mode without rendering but it is super easy to edit 8k stuff in Better Performance mode and when I want full quality full res playback and super smooth scrubbing I can grab a drink and let background rendering do it's thing and it will playback 8k prores 4444 like it's butter. The actual render time is improved significantly as well.

    I also would have liked an option to select a variety of resolutions a couple of years ago, but I have never come across something I can't easily playback in Better Performance mode, let bg render do it's thing, and then playback at full quality when needed.
    I haven't upgraded yet but this is interesting to hear.
    I don't believe the "optimized" R3D playback is in this release. My understanding is that will be made available in an update of the Apple Pro Video Formats package. Not 100% on that though. Will be interesting if more improvements are on the horizon.

    Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Macau
    Posts
    2,453
    I predict the new Mac Pro to be launched in the next couple of weeks. My hope is for that rumoured 16" MacBook Pro with afterburner support to be announced too... Fingers crossed...
    Sérgio Perez

    Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

    Video Director/Creative/Producer


    http://vimeo.com/user1503556

    https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member Eric Santiago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Perez View Post
    I predict the new Mac Pro to be launched in the next couple of weeks. My hope is for that rumoured 16" MacBook Pro with afterburner support to be announced too... Fingers crossed...
    Ooooh that woke me up ;)

    We are also scheduled to buy a few Mac Pros (day job) but without any idea as to what the costs are I personally am leaning towards the 16" offering for the home.
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts