Thread: FCPX Fall Update

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 FCPX Fall Update 
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Curious to know if those Metal updates will have the same performance improvements on nVidia-based MBPs (not that FCPX ever used cuda, but still...)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Curious to know if those Metal updates will have the same performance improvements on nVidia-based MBPs (not that FCPX ever used cuda, but still...)
    I have the last NVIDIA MBP and never did notice any advantages to FCPX.
    But then I find FCPX on any Mac to be more stable than other NLEs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    I have the last NVIDIA MBP and never did notice any advantages to FCPX.
    But then I find FCPX on any Mac to be more stable than other NLEs.
    Every update I send a feature request for them to implement a selectable "performance playback" drop down (e.g. 1/2, 1/4, 1/8th, etc)... It's been over 7 years since FCPX launched and still nothing ...but yeah, it's definitely the fastest to edit with.

That being said, I much prefer the way Resolve does it, where it's the same timeline regardless of the "page" you're on... Like the whole Editing>Graphics>Sound Finishing>Picture Finishing>Export just makes sense and is very straightforward (just wish it was faster on the editing side, though I've yet to use the R16 "Cut" page)... I also find it cumbersome/needlessly difficult to move projects around and/or back them up.

10.4.7 is amazing on my 18 core iMac Pro, I'm curious how it is for people on different systems. I just recently shot some stuff on my GH5S 4k 400Mb and my Gemini in full 5K. The previous version was struggling a bit to playback the 400Mb GH5S stuff without creating optimized media for some reason. Now it eats right through it. The Gemini 5K footage was already pretty easy to deal with on this machine already but now it just obliterates it.

It won't quite deal with full frame 8k stuff in Best Quality mode without rendering but it is super easy to edit 8k stuff in Better Performance mode and when I want full quality full res playback and super smooth scrubbing I can grab a drink and let background rendering do it's thing and it will playback 8k prores 4444 like it's butter. The actual render time is improved significantly as well.

I also would have liked an option to select a variety of resolutions a couple of years ago, but I have never come across something I can't easily playback in Better Performance mode, let bg render do it's thing, and then playback at full quality when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    10.4.7 is amazing on my 18 core iMac Pro, I'm curious how it is for people on different systems. I just recently shot some stuff on my GH5S 4k 400Mb and my Gemini in full 5K. The previous version was struggling a bit to playback the 400Mb GH5S stuff without creating optimized media for some reason. Now it eats right through it. The Gemini 5K footage was already pretty easy to deal with on this machine already but now it just obliterates it.

It won't quite deal with full frame 8k stuff in Best Quality mode without rendering but it is super easy to edit 8k stuff in Better Performance mode and when I want full quality full res playback and super smooth scrubbing I can grab a drink and let background rendering do it's thing and it will playback 8k prores 4444 like it's butter. The actual render time is improved significantly as well.

I also would have liked an option to select a variety of resolutions a couple of years ago, but I have never come across something I can't easily playback in Better Performance mode, let bg render do it's thing, and then playback at full quality when needed.
    I haven't upgraded yet but this is interesting to hear.
    I don't believe the "optimized" R3D playback is in this release. My understanding is that will be made available in an update of the Apple Pro Video Formats package. Not 100% on that though. Will be interesting if more improvements are on the horizon.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA

I predict the new Mac Pro to be launched in the next couple of weeks. My hope is for that rumoured 16" MacBook Pro with afterburner support to be announced too... Fingers crossed...
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Perez View Post
    I predict the new Mac Pro to be launched in the next couple of weeks. My hope is for that rumoured 16" MacBook Pro with afterburner support to be announced too... Fingers crossed...
    Ooooh that woke me up ;)

We are also scheduled to buy a few Mac Pros (day job) but without any idea as to what the costs are I personally am leaning towards the 16" offering for the home.