Thread: RED Matte Box Mounting Rings

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 RED Matte Box Mounting Rings 
    Bought a used Red matte box. Does any one know where I can get mounting rings for still glass? I can't seem to find any information on the Red matte box online anywhere. Any help would be appreciated !

Mounting rings?

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Thats a clip on matte box right? do you mean step down rings so it will clamp on to non standard lenses? which sizes do you have? you can probably find somebody to make you new ones out of delrin.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    Thats a clip on matte box right? do you mean step down rings so it will clamp on to non standard lenses? which sizes do you have? you can probably find somebody to make you new ones out of delrin.

Nick
    Yes.. its a clip on matte box. I have the universal mounting adapter(rod mount) on route for handheld/tripod use but for gimbal work i will need to be as light as possible hence the step down/mount rings. I will go get the sizes now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post

Nick
    These are the sizes needed.

77mm - 82mm - 72mm

I have to admit that this was one of the most ill designed matte boxes ever.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Yeah, unless you got it for like $10, it's probably cheaper to go buy a Tilta. Clip on MBs usually dont work so hot with still lenses. They aren't up to the weight clamped on front. Probably better off with series 9 filters and a sun shade.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    I have to admit that this was one of the most ill designed matte boxes ever.
    Quick jab to the stomach-

I appreciate the candidness.. I actually paid 250 with no lens support. My plans was to upgrade my lens in 6 to 8 months to some cine zooms. Which would support the ring mounts i have now. I will take your consideration under review. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamil Stubbs View Post
    These are the sizes needed.

77mm - 82mm - 72mm
    It's been a few years since I've seen one, but whatever the diameter of the main ring is, I can't recall if it was 150mm or like 138mm, you would ideally want that ring to a 80mm step down ring.

On your 72mm lens, use a 72>77mm step up screw ring for a more secure fit.

Your 77mm inner thread will likely have about an 80mm OD, so ideally you'd use a 77mm>77mm extension ring.

Your 82mm lens probably has an 82mm OD, I'd first try a 82>82mm extension and your clamp on ring will likely snuggly fit it. You can also go with an 82>77mm step down ring if you are filming with smaller S35 formats on your full frame glass.

If you want to go for the easier solution, just get step-up rings to 95mm and have them all be about that OD. I'd aim this route if you are shooting with VistaVision.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon