Thread: The Politician - the grade?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 The Politician - the grade? 
    I'm pretty sure i saw this was shot on Red.

I'm curious - i'm watched a bit of this via a normal netflix account on a normal HD OLED display. All SDR.

The grade looks, well, just wrong. I can't believe it went through QA and it made me wonder if i'm getting an HDR clipped on SDR - it's mostly to do with clipping, highlights and general saturation. Either that or they had no lights for inside to balance exposure but it looks like a properly funded show.

Is it just me?

(And i'm talking image, not content...)

cheers
    Paul
    -------------------
    insta: @paul.inventome

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    If highlights are clipped, this is exactly the same as happened to Annihilation which looked like crap for a few weeks until colorists united and gave a note to Netflix to fix it.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    If highlights are clipped, this is exactly the same as happened to Annihilation which looked like crap for a few weeks until colorists united and gave a note to Netflix to fix it.
    It could be a look i suppose. 80s video? I mean the interiors have massive blown windows and ugly colour clipping. This could be a factor of the saturation dial turned up to 11 but even so the highlights could have been rolled off - i've never seen such ugly clips than this. Even on skin.

Hence me wondering if there is a streaming/QC issue going on.

cheers
    Paul
    -------------------
    insta: @paul.inventome