Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
Resolve is doing all its calculations in 32-bit float operations so putting the 8 bit into a 10 bit container sounds like wasted disk space to me.
That is kind of true, but there are advantages to taking Long-GOP H.264 material and converting it to even 8-bit ProRes or DNxHD, provided it's at a decent compression rate. We routinely take any kind of DJI / Drone / iPhone / surveillance stuff and automatically convert it to 10-bit ProRes 422 prior to the session, just because the system runs faster and isn't struggling to decompress the H.264 file. Going to 10-bit doesn't magically give it more grayscale or color range, but the rest helps.

My joke is "Hate Dot 264 Is Bad for Post," but there are exceptions, like certain kinds of HEVC. But most of those nasty little toy cameras can be rough to work with for a lot of reasons, most of which is due to the extreme compression rates (not necessarily the camera optics or design). I don't have a problem with decent small cameras with good lenses that can record to good 10-bit codecs.