Thread: Red for Run and gun in the jungle

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hofmeyr View Post
    Interesting Björn. Do you know if there's a way to synchronise start/stop record?
    No dont know if there is a trigger for gopro. But you can just let the gopro roll and get hours worth and not miss a shot.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Great information Gabriel, interesting to hear use in such extreme situations. A few points:
    - Boot time is not too big problem for us, for wildlife we usually have it on most of the time.
    - Fan noise. With the Epic it would be tricky to record audio because the fan was so loud. I have not been in a jungle with Helium so hard to know how aggresive it will be. For shorter takes you can of course turn it down a lot while recording, but if lots of things happening you may get longer takes and I would think the fan could kick in then.
    - We are actually leaning towards getting another Red camera instead of Canon/Sony. We are two camere operator (or one cameraman and one camerawoman!) so will be more fun and get us more shots if we are two of course. We do not film that many documentaries and I feel Red is clearly better for wildlife.
    - So the amplifiers in Helium are better than in Epic by the sound of it? I guess I will begin testing it more, a bit of a problem that it does not have phantom power unless you have the Production Module. Production module looks interesting but the only thing I need it for is the XLR inputs and phantom power and it does add some weight at 900g.
    I'm leaning towards a Gemini, this means we would be able to film in darker places. According to my tests you get 1.7 stops better than Helium. A monstro is another option, but cost more and is not quite as good in the dark, plus tricky to get coverage with many lenses.
    - How good are the color on the Gemini vs the Helium? Many tests I seen has a bit red cast which I'm not too happy with but I hear good things about the image too. Natalie just met Sophie Darlington and she prefered Gemini to Helium apparently.

Once again, thanks for all the tips!
    Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    CF Weapon Helium 8K Strummer Bright Tangerine, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

I saw the Sound Devices Mix Pre II is only 0.48kg heavy, that would not add that much weight to attach to the camera. Could be nice to just have it on the side and then connect it to the brain directly.

Andreas
    CF Weapon Helium 8K Strummer Bright Tangerine, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hofmeyr View Post
    Probably also a good idea to get an onboard LED light and some fast glass - it's pretty dark deep in the jungle.

Not sure about the 50-1000mm. Do you need the length in the jungle? I'd rather carry a faster, shorter zoom (and make sure you pack a decent macro).

+1 for a good sherpa
    Good question about 50/1000. I think for wildlife I would think it would be useful. I find it useful for anything that is further away than 10m and especially if it is even further away. Especially useful for animals in trees. But I have not used it in the middle of the jungle yet. Of it demands light so will not work so well when it is dark.
    Probably 30-300 T2.9 would be better for many cases but I do not have one of those haha :)

What about primes vs zooms? When I do docu work I normally always use zooms, because it is so much faster. When it is dark though, maybe the primes would make more sense.

And of course will bring a few nice macrol lenses.We have the Canon 100 2.8 IS and and the MP-E 65. Will probably get the Laowa Probe lens since it seems awesome.

Do you guys think it makes sense to use a steady rig, maybe even a gimbal? I think for cases where we have more time to prepare the shots they would of course help us get much better shots, but they do seem to be a bit of a hassle to setup and transport.

Andreas

The audio on the DSMC2 cameras is surprisingly decent. WAY better than Epic. I'd still have a zoom recorder or something if high quality audio is very important to you.

Andreas: Lot of beautiful work on your website - Kudos.

I hesitate to mention this on a RED website - but if you are looking to a second camera - the Blackmagic Ursa Broadcast would be pretty nice for your run and gun application. It has all the buttons and features you want in a run and gun - near instant boot up; XLR input audio; built in ND filters with dial; dual cFAST slots, Dual SD slots, and also direct to SSD recording; instant flip switch to High frame rate; switch for iso/gain; built in LCD monitor; and $1295 1080p accessory viewfinder that integrates seamlessly and fits like it should for shoulder mount shooting and can use with RED cameras (since it has separate SDI and power in cables); - but the next two things are the key:

1) its $3495 for 4K and standard Betacam-style body
    2) uses standard B4 mount video type zoom lenses. You can get 18x (i.e. equivalent to about 24-500 on S35, with 2x so up to 1000mm equivalent) in good used condition for about $1000 for standard def versions - and you would be amazed how well they hold up; or about $2000 for HiDef lenses; or for about $3800 you can get a brand new Fujinon 16x8 4K lens (approx 24-400 s35 equivalent)

The main thing about these lenses is they are fast 1.9-2.8 on the new 4K (typically 1.7 and minimal ramp on the older lenses); par focal with electric rocker zoom and autoiris capability; powered directly from the camera; much lighter weight and designed to give you a good grip on the camera when on your shoulder or holding low angles, etc.

Further, the greater depth of field of the smaller 2/3" sensor can be your friend for field and wildlife work - especially on those long tele shots.

Also since it is the same body as the URSA Mini Pro the mount is interchangeable (screwed on so not instantaneous) so there are PL and Canon mounts available that would let you use your 50-1000 if desired (obviously you would be using mostly the center of the lens on the 2/3" sensor).

-----------------------------------------

In fact my next RED camera request would be for a similar 4K or above 2/3 sensor B4 mount camera with REDRAW and RED color science.

-----------------------------------
    Save the Sharks
    RED Helium 8KS35 (For Rent) Original Manufacturer of Redone & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 www.Aquavideo.com ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    Good question about 50/1000. I think for wildlife I would think it would be useful. I find it useful for anything that is further away than 10m and especially if it is even further away. Especially useful for animals in trees. But I have not used it in the middle of the jungle yet. Of it demands light so will not work so well when it is dark.
    Probably 30-300 T2.9 would be better for many cases but I do not have one of those haha :)

What about primes vs zooms? When I do docu work I normally always use zooms, because it is so much faster. When it is dark though, maybe the primes would make more sense.

And of course will bring a few nice macrol lenses.We have the Canon 100 2.8 IS and and the MP-E 65. Will probably get the Laowa Probe lens since it seems awesome.

Do you guys think it makes sense to use a steady rig, maybe even a gimbal? I think for cases where we have more time to prepare the shots they would of course help us get much better shots, but they do seem to be a bit of a hassle to setup and transport.

Andreas
    I think it depends on how dense the jungle is and how habituated the animals are. I was filming recently in the rainforests of Madagascar. I left my 300-800mm zoom at home and was glad I did - it would have been a real hassle to lug it around and, generally, when the animals were further away, they were obscured by foliage anyway. The only time I missed the long zoom was for the birds. Of course if I had a larger budget and crew, I would have taken it along for the handful of times it would have been useful.

Generally i think you'll find zooms more useful than primes, as it may be tricky to move closer and nearer to change framing, but a couple of fast primes could save you in low light.

Not sure about the gimbal. Again I think it probably depends on the terrain - if you are going to be moving through thick jungle, I reckon you'll need to be as lightweight and compact as possible. What about a little DJI osmo pocket you can keep in your pocket and use to quickly grab some moving shots, timelapses, etc?

IMHO i don't think the audio into the Helium brain is good enough. There's no phantom power to start with for example and i do find the preamps noisy.

The MixPreII are excellent, the benefit of the II series is 32 bit float which is RAW recording for audio and so in a run and gun situation it could save the shot - 32 bit float means that you'll never clip and it will record everything the mic hears. It's amazing.

If you get the 3 then it is very lightweight. If you mount it to your rig then you should be able to pump the timeout out straight into the brain and syncing footage will be a no brainer. I think the 3 has TC out, i have a 6 and it does for sure.

If it won't be on camera then i'd suggest using tentacle sync boxes to drive TC into both devices, these are lightweight and just do the job but of course a direct lead saves some steps.

Have you looked into Solar chargers?

Don't forget you can also have a battery pack off camera and power it that way, a battery belt means you'd shave some weight off making it easier to haul around?

cheers
    Paul
    -------------------
    insta: @paul.inventome

For sound what I was thinking was a MixPre II with time code, and just attach it somewhere on the camera, probably on the left side where the mag is. We have a Sanken shotgun which is very good, but its quite large.

Solar chargers, could be interesting, but not sure we will be away for days though. Do not have so much information, its just a bit speculative yet.
    Regarding 50-1000 I saw that for a documentary about orangutangs they were using it in the jungle. Hard to imagine being without it I would say, but its not fun to carry!

For a main recorder I will probably get the new 833. Also planning on getting a Dual Mid Side Shoepes setup. Very cool with one setup you can record both great "shotgun" forward, as well as stereo and you can also create a complete 4 channel or 6 channel surround since you have sound from even behind you. Would probably not film at the same time as using this setup though.

Best,
    Andreas

Hiya Robert, How are you?
    Interesting point with the DJI Osmo. Have not read anything about. However every time I try a small camera like GoPro I get so disappointed with the results. But of course coverage is more important than quality (sniff) so could be handy.

Andreas: Lot of beautiful work on your website - Kudos.
    Thanks Michael! Natalie was at Jackson Hole so we prepared some material that we worked on from Blue Planet Live and so. Hope to put it up on the webpage soon. Next year we hope to film lots more wildlife. We have a tendency to get stuck in big projects, now we are working both for Microsoft AND an Apple project at the same time, great fun but miss the jungle.

Best,
    Andreas