Thread: Nvidias new studiodrivers opens up 10 bit on GeForce RTX

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Nvidias new studiodrivers opens up 10 bit on GeForce RTX 
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

1. Old news.
    2. Quadro cards already supported 10 bit color for many years already
    3. AMD was already doing that for many years as well.
    4. Why does it matter? For color critical 10 bit work you'd need to use BM or AJA cards if you don't want to suffer from dealing with OS and application level of color management, which usually doesn't work correctly anyway...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    4. Why does it matter? For color critical 10 bit work you'd need to use BM or AJA cards if you don't want to suffer from dealing with OS and application level of color management, which usually doesn't work correctly anyway...
    Not for much longer :)
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Not for much longer :)
    Yes, Resolve already allows a full screen playback and an upcoming Apple screen looks very interesting, but the problem of OS and application level color management still remains. Computer level color management is a completely different animal and for professional level work it's still not appropriate, if ever. I am planning to get the new Macpro Cheeesegater with the new Apple screen (I'm mainly interested in using it for HDR work), but I am still going to rely on AJA and BM cards for client monitor display.
    Here is an example of how NOT TO DO IT:)

Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

I understand how "not to do it". All of my workstations here have BMD cards in them except for 1 and of course my laptops which are also calibrated. However, there are other ways if you know how to deal with the OS and software vendor chaos. Had to learn how to do it all the hard way back at the old studio with our old Minolta probe back in the Unix and Linux days. The general card ecosystem has made life much easier in terms of getting a good signal with color out of a box for sure. Not discounting that.

What I am saying is both upcoming OS updates will have some additional focus on color. Professional color.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Yes, Resolve already allows a full screen playback and an upcoming Apple screen looks very interesting, but the problem of OS and application level color management still remains. Computer level color management is a completely different animal and for professional level work it's still not appropriate, if ever. I am planning to get the new Macpro Cheeesegater with the new Apple screen (I'm mainly interested in using it for HDR work), but I am still going to rely on AJA and BM cards for client monitor display.
    Here is an example of how NOT TO DO IT:)

I only use NLEs with cm/cprofile immunity, hehe.

The comments:
    I'm watching this on my phone with the blue light filter on and you can't stop me

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    What I am saying is both upcoming OS updates will have some additional focus on color. Professional color.
    Count me as extremely skeptical...
    In a big scheme of things, spending a couple of hundred dollars on BM or AJA card as an investment in a piece of mind, that my color will be handled properly is well worth it.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

In a big scheme of things, spending a couple of hundred dollars on BM or AJA card as an investment in a piece of mind, that my color will be handled properly is well worth it.
    Same feels. But things are progressing elsewhere. Just staying on top of it all.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

This is a really dumb mindset that needs to change. If your OS or application doesn't manage color correctly and you do nothing about it, there is no reason to think that you as a user are going to manage it properly when using external cards or devices. If your tools don't manage it correctly, tell the people that can change it. macOS has had properly functioning color management for years, but not many third party apps utilize it correctly. The main issue is almost no third party apps properly write out .mov files with all the correct tags. Baselight is finally starting to do this correctly so hopefully more will follow.

It is even more important in this day and age when hardly any content is going out via normal broadcast anyway.

If you help resolve the OS/app color management issues, then your color will be handled properly on every device in the world the properly handles color.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    This is a really dumb mindset that needs to change. If your OS or application doesn't manage color correctly and you do nothing about it, there is no reason to think that you as a user are going to manage it properly when using external cards or devices. If your tools don't manage it correctly, tell the people that can change it. macOS has had properly functioning color management for years, but not many third party apps utilize it correctly. The main issue is almost no third party apps properly write out .mov files with all the correct tags. Baselight is finally starting to do this correctly so hopefully more will follow.

It is even more important in this day and age when hardly any content is going out via normal broadcast anyway.

If you help resolve the OS/app color management issues, then your color will be handled properly on every device in the world the properly handles color.
    I do hope you didn’t just call me dumb.
    Your desires have zero relevance to the real world. You surmising, that just because you hear some things about proper tagging means, it’s just application writers, that are not aware of the proper procedures for doing that. Frankly, tagging is pretty trivial in comparison to what you’re proposing. The fact of the matter, often software works on multiple platforms, yes, like Resolve. At this time every platform handles color differently, which means, that BM will have to deploy different set of rules depending on the platform, which means, you could do a job on Mac and then open it on Linux and it will look completely different. Use of weird OS color management will introduce much bigger issues than simple tagging. The same goes for Baselight. It will not work and, frankly, I’m not aware of ANY platform at this time, that deals with color management correctly. BTW, I use Baselight, so I’m well aware of proper tagging and there is no way in hell for Filmlight to abandon support for AJA.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel